• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Kerry Beal

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

I miss you posts! How do you like the sloe gin (and the applejack)?

Mine was sloe gin and calvados and I will now pour a negroni to help me forget it!

I miss you posts! How do you like the sloe gin (and the applejack)?

Hubby enjoyed it - I've had better! Next up - Sloe Gin Fizz I think.

IMG_0406.jpg

Sloe Gin Fizz - perhaps not quite as fizzy as it could have been as my siphon was low on water - but a much more satisfactory drink than the Tango!

Two words for you: Modern No. 2.

You're on. Tonight.

Two words for you: Modern No. 2.

You're on. Tonight.

Nope! Definitely no. But thanks for trying. There is a taste that I am having a hard time identifying but that I find really, really off-putting. It's almost as if it is dredging up an unpleasant memory that I can't quite grasp.

Modern #2.jpg

Sorry for the typo upthread- it should have read "I miss YOUR posts".

Anyway, it's good to see you both again on this thread and I will be following your adventures with sloe gin as it's not something I have had a chance to try yet.

Can someone tell me what Sloe Gin tastes like? I looked on wikipedia but it wasn't really clear on the taste. Does it bear any resemblance to regular gin (is there any juniper in it?)

Just tasted it neat - hard to describe - boozy for sure, a bit sour, a bit plummy, a bit cough syrupy but in a good way. Not picking up the juniper but I believe it is there.

A touch bitter, too, right? BTW, a touch of Campari is wonderful in a Sloe Gin Fizz. The Bitter Truth Sloe Gin was described as being more bitter, eliminating the need for the Campari. I've never had it, though.

A touch bitter, too, right? BTW, a touch of Campari is wonderful in a Sloe Gin Fizz. The Bitter Truth Sloe Gin was described as being more bitter, eliminating the need for the Campari. I've never had it, though.

Indeed - a bit bitter too.

IMG_0418.jpg

Mojito with some frost nipped mojito mint. I've got to remember to bring the bay and some of the mint in for the winter - with any luck it will grow for me inside.

IMG_0422.jpg

Forgot to snap a picture before I gave the boys their drinks. Anna and I found some Schweppes Bitter Lemon at the Punjab Market. Looks like it must be imported from eastern Europe - I think the writing on it might be Hungarian.

Used up the last of the Pimms, along with a bit of gin to make some Pimm's Cups.

Kerry - How was the sweetness of A Moment of Silence? There was a comment that it was a touch sweet when make with Apry (as written). I've only used Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot and liked it. And I'm the President of the Sugar Haters Club. I haven't had apricot liqueur in the house for a while, but this is such a nice drink that I think I'll pick some up today.

Kerry - How was the sweetness of A Moment of Silence? There was a comment that it was a touch sweet when make with Apry (as written). I've only used Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot and liked it. And I'm the President of the Sugar Haters Club. I haven't had apricot liqueur in the house for a while, but this is such a nice drink that I think I'll pick some up today.

It was a bit sweet - but I'm OK with that!

Which recipe did you use Kerry? I like this one. I use the Luxardo and I can't get a cask proof bourbon here so I used Knob Creek. At 100 proof, it's as close as I can get on that one.

I kludged it from a couple of recipes - so it was 2 ounces amaretto, 1/4 ounce simple, 1 1/4 ounces lemon, 1/2 egg white and a couple of dashes of angostura.

I've got a bottle of Booker's perhaps this evening I should try his variation.

IMG_0429.jpg

Tried the Jeffery Morganthaler Amaretto Sour suggested above this evening. While it was a perfectly lovely cocktail - I think we both preferred the simplicity of yesterday's version.