• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

Kerry - Yes, cachaca has that funky rum taste that is often labelled hogo. This is shared by Rhum Agricole, which is also distilled from sugar cane juice, rather than molasses.

First, an apology. The version of Comte de Sureau that I posted was actually a variation by Jeffrey Morgenthaller. Today I corrected the recipe and its attribution and added the original gin-based cocktail by Gonçalo de Sousa Monteiro. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Comte de Sureau is another of those spirit+liqueur drinks without acid. I haven't tried it yet, but my initial reaction was that it might need some lemon juice for my taste. In addition, I find Aperol to have an artificial orange flavor until it is combined with some acid and other flavors. Right from the bottle it is pretty unappealing to me. Yet I love it in cocktails.

I see that you added Angostura Orange to it. Seems like a good idea. If you liked it great; if not maybe try 1/4 to 1/2 oz lemon juice?

Comte de Sureau (Morgenthaller)

by Jeffrey Morgenthaller, inspired by Gonçalo de Souza Monteiro

1 1/2 oz Cachaça, Boca Loca

3/4 oz Aperol

1/2 oz Elderflower liqueur, St. Germain

1 twst Lemon peel (large, expressed, as garnish)

Stir, strain, straight up, coupe, express and drop

Comte de Sureau

by Gonçalo de Sousa Monteiro, The Traveling Mixologists, Germany

4 cl Gin

3 cl Elderflower liqueur, St. Germain

0.7 cl Campari

1 twst Orange peel (as garnish)

Stir, straigh, straight up or on the rocks, garnish

Phew. I hope I've got the record straight now.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Somehow the cocktail hour on Friday did not come about. Saturday I tried to make up by having both a pre and post-dinner cocktail. The pre was a Planter's Punch - one of the cocktails with a familiar name that I have never tried. I will have to do that one again as I was a little too generous with the Peychaud's bitters. The post was a Brandy Alexander. It was probably the first mixed drink I ever tasted and I would have been about 18 years old at the time. I followed the 2:1:1 ratio and did not enjoy it at all. Last night I repeated with a 1:1:1 ratio and skipped the nutmeg - much more to my liking and closer to what I remember.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry - Yes, cachaca has that funky rum taste that is often labelled hogo. This is shared by Rhum Agricole, which is also distilled from sugar cane juice, rather than molasses.

First, an apology. The version of Comte de Sureau that I posted was actually a variation by Jeffrey Morgenthaller. Today I corrected the recipe and its attribution and added the original gin-based cocktail by Gonçalo de Sousa Monteiro. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Comte de Sureau is another of those spirit+liqueur drinks without acid. I haven't tried it yet, but my initial reaction was that it might need some lemon juice for my taste. In addition, I find Aperol to have an artificial orange flavor until it is combined with some acid and other flavors. Right from the bottle it is pretty unappealing to me. Yet I love it in cocktails.

I see that you added Angostura Orange to it. Seems like a good idea. If you liked it great; if not maybe try 1/4 to 1/2 oz lemon juice?

Comte de Sureau (Morgenthaller)

by Jeffrey Morgenthaller, inspired by Gonçalo de Souza Monteiro

1 1/2 oz Cachaça, Boca Loca

3/4 oz Aperol

1/2 oz Elderflower liqueur, St. Germain

1 twst Lemon peel (large, expressed, as garnish)

Stir, strain, straight up, coupe, express and drop

Comte de Sureau

by Gonçalo de Sousa Monteiro, The Traveling Mixologists, Germany

4 cl Gin

3 cl Elderflower liqueur, St. Germain

0.7 cl Campari

1 twst Orange peel (as garnish)

Stir, straigh, straight up or on the rocks, garnish

Phew. I hope I've got the record straight now.

I think a little acid would probably make it a bit more interesting - but it was an OK drink without it.

Made a Lion's Tail tonight with my home made pimento dram. Could have gotten away with a slightly smaller glass - was making the recipe in millilitres rather than ounces!

6173309909_f592cf9b09_o.jpg

6175963495_9c7bb4aebd_o.jpg

Gave dad a wee dram of this to make up for it.

I'm keeping my eyes open for that one after reading Matt's post about it on his blog. I already have the Double Barrel Reserve but this one sounds interesting.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6175963495_9c7bb4aebd_o.jpg

Gave dad a wee dram of this to make up for it.

I'm keeping my eyes open for that one after reading Matt's post about it on his blog. I already have the Double Barrel Reserve but this one sounds interesting.

I think I mentioned on another thread that Anna and I met Matt and Matt at the distillery for the tour and tasting. The girls serving at the tasting bar thought it was amusing that the first words out of everyone's mouth were 'so smooth'. That's exactly what dad said. Actually hubby's comment was - 'smooth - but it's still rye'. So more for me.

I have instructions to pick up a bottle for dad. Apparently regular LCBO stores carry it.

A few weeks ago the biggest challenge I faced in the world of cocktails was a dearth of ingredients. Now, thanks to many generous gifts the problem is almost too many choices. :rolleyes: So tonight it was the Boulevardier (Cure Version):

Boulevardier1.jpg

Rye, Punt e Mes, Campari, orange twist.

I had serious doubts that this would be my kind of drink but it was surprisingly good.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

For many reasons I almost skipped a cocktail tonight but I was anxious to try the cachaca I had been gifted. So I made a Lua Bonita (Beautiful Moon). Sorry no photo - it's dark now and the flash detracts from the drink in the hands of a poor photographer. This, however, is a visually beautiful drink. Taste-wise I would have to call it "challenging" and "a grown up drink". Eventually I added some ice and it became very, very moorish! :rolleyes:

My 2004 eG Blog

Last cocktail for the week. I am anxious to try some of the amazing ingredients that have been given to me so a Test Pilot seemed a good start. Cachaca, dark rum, absinthe, falernum, cointreau, agnostura bitters, lime juice, cherry (I used a Luxardo cherry). My kind of cocktail - complex yet very sippable. Still sipping it slowly and it only seems to get better.

My 2004 eG Blog

Picked up this excellent vintage ice crusher listed on Kijiji.

6182926679_04982a150a.jpg

6182926755_97fbea1925.jpg

So of course now that I had crushed ice - I needed to figure a good drink to make with it. A Trader Vic Mai Tai - cointreau instead of curacao, just one kind of rum. But it was very well received.

6182926799_2fc3775416.jpg

ICE-O-MAT. You simply have to love that name. I presume F^ and C^ are Fine and Coarse? I wish the ice from the freezer was really crushed, rather than more like cracked. Plus I hate the sound expensive repair whenever I use it.

Yup - fine and course.

Picked up this excellent vintage ice crusher listed on Kijiji.

6182926679_04982a150a.jpg

Good grief - I have used and loved mine for years and never noticed the fine versus course directional arrows - need to start wearing the reading glasses at all times. Mine was also flea market - maybe $10. Thank you!

DSCN1224.JPG

Tonight I enjoyed a Bitter Mai Tai. Such a beautiful looking drink. Can someone explain what a mint sprig might have added beside an attractive garnish.

The photo was a mess! Only my Puritan conscience is preventing me from making a second.

My 2004 eG Blog

6198770451_1757e9301f.jpg

Martinez tonight (what's the plural of that?) - gin, sweet vermouth, maraschino and Boker's Bitters (thank you Adam!).

Martinez was THE epiphany cocktail for me that got me to step out of my rum safe zone and get more broadly into classic/craft cocktails. The Beefeaters is probably a bit to assertive for a perfect Martinez. Try it with an Old Tom and you will find religion.

This is also a safe one to serve cold and up and lose the ice. The drink is so good you will be finished with it long before it even has a chance to warm up ;-)

Edited by Sunny&Rummy (log)

No picture tonight - but made the Brother's Perryman again. Beefeater, St Germain, Campari, flamed orange rind. Yum!

Sounds good, I would like to try this! What ratios are you using?

Ounce and half of gin, 1 ounce each of St germain and campari.

A fresh mint garnish, slapped to release the fragrance, is the crowning touch on a mai tai. Then sip with a short straw so your nose gets right in the middle of all the wonderful rich aromas.

Next time! :laugh:

It won't be long - loved this drink.

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight's cocktail was a Red Maple

Red Maple 1.JPG

Jamaican rum, maple syrup, grapefruit juice, Peychaud's bitters. I made it with 1/2 oz of maple syrup and found it almost undrinkable. Added another 1/4 oz of maple syrup and drank it but only because I am a cheap b**tard and hate waste. :blink: Not likely to repeat this one.

My 2004 eG Blog

6201995778_f7f3c10627.jpg

Decided to try the Bitter Mai Tai that Anna tried yesterday since we have many of the same ingredients in the house. Mixed up a single one and split it with the hubby.

A rather strange flavour! Didn't hate it - but not quite sure if I love it.

I think I need to taste the Smith and Cross on it's own and see what the underlying flavour is.

I love the bitter mai tai, but i think proper dilution is key to bring the flavors completely together.

I believe it was intended to be served over shaved ice, and I think it makes a big difference.

Plus, a step up from the dekuyper orange would probably help a bit.