• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

After a dish of very spicy Aloo Mattar (Indian-spiced potatoes and peas) I fancied a long, cold drink and so it was an Eva Peron:

Eva Peron.jpg

While it might never become my go-to drink it did hit the spot. The ginger was subdued but definitely present and the lime added a refreshing sour element that I felt was just right.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6348419945_d55cb76688_z.jpg

Tonight decided I wanted to play with the bottle of Applejack that MelissaH was so kind to bring for me the last time she came across the border.

A quick perusal of Kindred Cocktail led me to the Apple Jack Rabbit. Applejack, orange juice, lemon juice and a bit of maple syrup - very delicious! I'll be making this one again.

A quick perusal of Kindred Cocktail led me to the Apple Jack Rabbit. Applejack, orange juice, lemon juice and a bit of maple syrup - very delicious! I'll be making this one again.

Proportions, please?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Proportions, please?

MelissaH

2 ounces applejack, 3/4 each lemon and orange, 1/2 ounce grade B syrup,

2 ounces applejack, 3/4 each lemon and orange, 1/2 ounce grade B syrup,

I should note that this is one recipe where Kindred Cocktails intentionally did not stay faithful to the historic recipe. It calls for a hideous amount of syrup, and would be much too sweet by today's standards. The version we used is from PDT, but there are many other similar ratios in use by various folks.

Apple Jack Rabbit

by Savoy Cocktail Book

2 oz Applejack

3/4 oz Lemon juice

3/4 oz Orange juice

1/2 oz Maple syrup

Shake, strain, serve up.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

6360683871_2010785912_z.jpg

Brought home a copy of Beachbum Berry's Remixed yesterday - so tonight looking through what ingredients I had at my disposal I made a 'Hawaiian Room'. Lemon, pineapple juice, triple sec, applejack and white rum. Found it a bit tart and boozy for my taste, but with a bit of dilution and a touch of grenadine it became quite tolerable.

You'll notice the exclusive bottling of the Havana Club white in the background. It was sitting in the drink holder in my car, so there was no danger of spillage, when I spotted the RIDE stop on my way home this afternoon.

Kerry, this is a great thread! I'm really enjoying reading about your (boozy) journey.

I just recently decided I needed to learn an appreciation for whiskey. Too many bad experiences with rye when I was younger turned me off it completely, but I had the feeling I was missing out on something. So I started with scotch (Glenlivet) and bourbon (Maker's). That segued into a desire to try some of the old cocktails – like the Manhattan and Rob Roy. Now I'm looking at my liquor cupboard and thinking I need to do some experimenting with cocktails. It's full of things that I bought because I needed a bit for some recipe or other and never looked at again.

Came to eGullet to see what I could learn, and who do I find in the cocktails forum?

I'm way behind you on this – literally had my first Manhattan two days ago.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Tonight wanted something familiar so returned to one of the first cocktails that Kerry introduced me to on Manitoulin Island this past summer: Intro to Aperol. It still really hits the spot.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight wanted something familiar so returned to one of the first cocktails that Kerry introduced me to on Manitoulin Island this past summer: Intro to Aperol. It still really hits the spot.

That's definitely a tasty one... but it's -15, windy and snowing lightly here so I decided in favor of something warm tonight. 1 oz Appleton 12, 1 oz El Dorado 12 and 1 tsp. 2:1 demerara syrup in a mug topped with warm milk and grated nutmeg.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6366448821_be49f43520_z.jpg

Grave of the Unknown Soldier - rather strange name for a drink I thought. Amaro nonino, Laphroig (apparently hubby has run out so MacCallan was substituted), lemon, honey syrup. Added a lemon strip - realized afterwards that was from another recipe - but it fit.

Extremely satisfactory drink.

That's definitely a tasty one... but it's -15, windy and snowing lightly here so I decided in favor of something warm tonight. 1 oz Appleton 12, 1 oz El Dorado 12 and 1 tsp. 2:1 demerara syrup in a mug topped with warm milk and grated nutmeg.

Sounds quite yummy!

6380250337_139c9d6c4f_z.jpg

Tonights libation - Pan American Clipper - applejack, lime, home made grenadine, oops - forgot the dash of absinthe. From the Gentleman's Companion. But since I forgot the dash of absinthe - then I think I simply made a Jack Rose.

6386152821_c15752c426_z.jpg

Tonight from Beachbum Berry's Remixed - Miehana - lime, orange, pineapple, grand marnier, rum, coconut rum. 3 ounces of booze overall - it's taken me a couple of hours to recover!

I should get that book. I have a few other books queued up on amazon already so adding one more won't hurt. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I should get that book. I have a few other books queued up on amazon already so adding one more won't hurt. :biggrin:

Yup - gotta get to that minimum for the free shipping!

I just got it recently myself--it's a good one to get: two books in one; new stuff added since the originals (though I never owned the originals); and lots of fun reading and photos--it's way more than just the recipes. One thing, though. I hope you have or can source a bottle (or 3) of Lemon Hart 151 rum. He uses it in just about everything. Real frustrating when you don't have any. I finally got a hold of some by special ordering it. I think what inspired me to get the book was attending Berry's Tales seminar Who's Your Daddy? A Mai Tai Paternity Test. Now I want to get Sippin' Safari but it seems to be out of print at the moment.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

I wouldn't let that stop you. You can't substitute for it, but there are still lots of other fascinating drinks in the book, not to mention the narrative itself. And it's not like it's a big outlay. Plus, who knows? I hear the LCBO has some surprises up their sleeve for the coming year, so they may yet bring some in.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

What'd you think of it Kerry? I tried it a while back and enjoyed it, that healthy dose of bitters makes it interesting.

What'd you think of it Kerry? I tried it a while back and enjoyed it, that healthy dose of bitters makes it interesting.

Bit of a mixed reaction - didn't like it as much as I thought I would based on the ingredients.

I tried the Apple Jack Rabbit a couple of days ago. It was nice, but when I made it a second time at added a small dash of cinnamon, which I believe gave a nice touch to the flavors. It is a nice balance though.

Edited by CRChemist (log)

Casey Raymond aka CRChemist

Chemist, Homebrewer