• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

To be honest, the first time I made it, I thought "Hmmm, I can't get my head around Caribbean rum and Italian amaro." The second time I made it, I loved it.

Smith & Cross is a bit of an acquired tasted. My wife used to hate it, but now likes it just fine. It is sort of the Limburger of the rum world.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

No picture tonight - but made the Brother's Perryman again. Beefeater, St Germain, Campari, flamed orange rind. Yum!

Sounds good, I would like to try this! What ratios are you using?

Ounce and half of gin, 1 ounce each of St germain and campari.

Thanks Kerry!

I love the bitter mai tai, but i think proper dilution is key to bring the flavors completely together.

I believe it was intended to be served over shaved ice, and I think it makes a big difference.

The Bitter Mai Tai might be one of the best drinks I've had all year, but Campus Five is right - it needs some extra dilution to help tame all the aggressive, rich flavors going on. Another excellent drink to try with Smith & Cross and Campari is the Kingston Negroni from Death and Company - equal parts S&C, Campari, and sweet vermouth, stir, strain into rocks glass over ice, orange twist. Perhaps I have a weird predilection towards that that combo, but that drink also really does it for me.

I love the bitter mai tai, but i think proper dilution is key to bring the flavors completely together.

I believe it was intended to be served over shaved ice, and I think it makes a big difference.

The Bitter Mai Tai might be one of the best drinks I've had all year, but Campus Five is right - it needs some extra dilution to help tame all the aggressive, rich flavors going on. Another excellent drink to try with Smith & Cross and Campari is the Kingston Negroni from Death and Company - equal parts S&C, Campari, and sweet vermouth, stir, strain into rocks glass over ice, orange twist. Perhaps I have a weird predilection towards that that combo, but that drink also really does it for me.

Buddy of mine did that same drink with Bonal. Called it "Negroni, Please". Winner.

• Like 1

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

6215204069_ee8112df6b.jpg

Not sure of the name on this one - it's Pimms with gin, angostura bitters and fizzy lemon. Enjoyed a first sip then set it down next to the child.

Heard it hit the ground. My mouse was under the mess - don't think it's ever going to work the same again. Kinda sticky this one.

Anyway hubby seemed to enjoy his!

Not sure of the name on this one - it's Pimms with gin, angostura bitters and fizzy lemon. Enjoyed a first sip then set it down next to the child.

Heard it hit the ground. My mouse was under the mess - don't think it's ever going to work the same again. Kinda sticky this one.

Never had Pimm's #1 but my understanding is that it is a 50 proof gin based drink to begin with so if you add more gin that would be a lot of gin! I see from looking up a couple of recipes that gin is a common companion to Pimm's. Is it pretty typical to add more gin to drinks containing Pimm's? I suppose if it works then that's OK!

Does this drink have a preponderance of the fizzy lemon part of the equation?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Never had Pimm's #1 but my understanding is that it is a 50 proof gin based drink to begin with so if you add more gin that would be a lot of gin! I see from looking up a couple of recipes that gin is a common companion to Pimm's. Is it pretty typical to add more gin to drinks containing Pimm's? I suppose if it works then that's OK!

Does this drink have a preponderance of the fizzy lemon part of the equation?

This particular version did have a preponderance of fizzy lemon - I don't think it necessarily needs to. Was just the size of the glass I chose. More sticky stuff for the floor, the papers, the check books, the computer mouse, the TV remote...

Yes, Pimm's is 50 proof, which isn't so high -- comparable to Campari for example. You'd add gin to Campari, right?

True enough. It was just the gin on gin thing I guess that got me. Kinda like the Rusty Nail of gin... :biggrin:

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Guess I need to add Pimm's to my long list of things to try!

~tanstaafl2

Last night I had a Banff cocktail: Whisky, Grand Marnier, Kirsch and Agnostura bitters. No photo as my camera battery was dead.

Tonight a Caipirinha. I did not expect to like this at all but felt I should at least try it. Surprisingly I really enjoyed it. I used only 2 ozs of Cachaca so I could at least stay upright until after dinner. :biggrin:

Caipirinha.JPG

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6231584722_e4ce8ac50b.jpg

My first Sazarac - simple, peychauds, Fourty Creek John's Private Cask (I know it's not the right kind of rye - but damn it's smooth!), absinthe spritz in the glass and a lemon twist (now residing in the glass but don't tell anyone).

• 2 weeks later...

6274573568_2ccb268ffe_z.jpg

A 'Little Italy' tonight. I used canadian whiskey in place of the rye, punt e mes, cynar, a bit of maraschino cherry syrup and a flamed orange rind. Most excellent!

Ok, I admit to being a little light in the knowledge on cocktails so I am even more of a novice than you Kerry, but what the heck is a flaming orange? Does it make a big difference in the taste?

I just had my first attempt at flambe desserts so now I may need a new challenge!

Nice one Kerry, sounds tasty. I'm still trying to convince the local store that they want to order a thing or two for me (rittenhouse and yellow chartreuse). I think they didn't read the part of the LCBO site that says "your local store will be happy to order anything the LCBO carries". But I can make that drink minus the punt e mes... if I can figure out a good sub.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Nice one Kerry, sounds tasty. I'm still trying to convince the local store that they want to order a thing or two for me (rittenhouse and yellow chartreuse). I think they didn't read the part of the LCBO site that says "your local store will be happy to order anything the LCBO carries". But I can make that drink minus the punt e mes... if I can figure out a good sub.

Recipe calls for sweet vermouth - it should work just fine with whatever you've got.

There is yellow chartreuse at a couple of the Toronto stores - let me know if you want me to grab it for you. Ditto on the Rittenhouse.

Ok, I admit to being a little light in the knowledge on cocktails so I am even more of a novice than you Kerry, but what the heck is a flaming orange? Does it make a big difference in the taste?

I just had my first attempt at flambe desserts so now I may need a new challenge!

Beth - gotta try this - I think it does make a difference in the flavour.

The boys decided they wanted Manhattans tonight - Canadian whiskey, carpano antica, dashes of angostura, absinthe, orange liqueur and grenadine. It was dad's 94th birthday - so we had cake, but no candles so we didn't burn the house down.

6289634049_4849df52ac_z.jpg

6289634095_df8dba5b29_z.jpg