• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

I have the Havana Club 7 in the cabinet right now (along with a couple of it's siblings) so I'll give that a try. Thanks!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Being a solo drinker I have to try my best to make the best use of ingredients. Grapefruit juice is calling out to be used up so tonight's cocktail:

Whoa Nellie Very Good.jpg

Whoa, Nellie! One of my favourites so far. I will resist the urge to have a second one but it will take great willpower. Rye, Rum, Cointreau, Grapefruit juice, lemon juice, simple syrup.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I also have some left over grapefruit juice that I should be thinking about using up - however tonight went for the Jasmine. Gin, cointreau, campari, lemon.

DSCN3975.jpg

Looked great but didn't come across as particularly well balanced - I ended up adding a tiny bit of elderflower concentrate (from Ikea) to mine and that helped a bit. I suspect a bit of simple would have done the trick.

There are two recipes for the Jasmine floating around, Paul Harrington's and Robert Hess'. GIve both a try, I find that people who haven't enjoyed the cocktail, generally like it when made with the other recipe. Amazing what playing with ratios can do.

Tonight's Cocktail:

Red line.JPG

Intriguing flavour.

Any of the cocktail experts care to share with this greenhorn how you are measuring minute amounts? Although I have a couple of decent measuring "shots" none go down to 1/4 ounce with any accuracy. I am assuming you use a medicine dropper when drops are called for and dashes I guess are just a quick shake of the bitter's bottle with the special top.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

There are two recipes for the Jasmine floating around, Paul Harrington's and Robert Hess'. GIve both a try, I find that people who haven't enjoyed the cocktail, generally like it when made with the other recipe. Amazing what playing with ratios can do.

Agreed, and I much prefer the Hess ratios to Harrington, even though it is Paul's drink.

Agreed, and I much prefer the Hess ratios to Harrington, even though it is Paul's drink.

Twas the Hess I mixed.

Tonight's Cocktail:

Red line.JPG

Intriguing flavour.

Any of the cocktail experts care to share with this greenhorn how you are measuring minute amounts? Although I have a couple of decent measuring "shots" none go down to 1/4 ounce with any accuracy. I am assuming you use a medicine dropper when drops are called for and dashes I guess are just a quick shake of the bitter's bottle with the special top.

Oops forgot the name of the cocktail - it was a Red Line.

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, we've talked dashes before, and a lot of us have moved our bitters and frequently dashed liqueurs to dropper bottles for consistent measurement. As for jiggers, you're unlikely to hear complaints about the Oxo mini.

... the Jasmine. Gin, cointreau, campari, lemon.

Looked great but didn't come across as particularly well balanced - I ended up adding a tiny bit of elderflower concentrate ...

I like the Jasmine, but I love the Bitter Elder:

Bitter Elder

by AmateurHour, commenter on Oh Go.sh and Cocktail Chronicales

1 1/2 oz Gin

3/4 oz Elderflower liqueur, St. Germain

1/2 oz Campari

1/2 oz Lemon juice

Shake, strain, straight up, cocktail

My notes: Absolutely delicious. Made with Tanqueray. More Campari isn't bad -- 3/4 oz

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Was this the Redline? If so, it was named for Boston's subway line that goes through Harvard Square. If it was a different cocktail by this name, I'd love the know the recipe.

Redline

by Chowhound DavidSqPro

2 oz Rye

1 3/4 oz Grapefruit juice

1/4 oz Lemon juice

1/4 oz Elderflower liqueur, St. Germain

1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur

1/4 oz Campari

4 dr Absinthe

2 ds Peychaud's Bitters

2 ds Angostura bitters

Shake, Rocks, Lowball

I use a kitchen measuring spoon for teaspoon measurements. It also helps to know that 3 tsp = 1 tbsp = 1/2 oz. So sometimes you see 1 1/2 tsp and you know that that is just a 1/4 oz. I use the 2 oz OXO measuring cup for regular drinks and the 8 oz OXO measuring cup for larger batches.

A "dash" of Bittermens bitters is about 1" of liquid in the dropper.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Was this the Redline? ....

It was indeed. I have been making good use of Kindred Cocktails to help me make drinks with the ingredients I have on hand. And thanks for the information on measuring. Guess I'll be looking for the small Oxo measure. Thanks again.

My 2004 eG Blog

[i like the Jasmine, but I love the Bitter Elder:

Bitter Elder

One of my favourites so far in my early journey into cocktails!

My 2004 eG Blog

My favourite "doc" showed up today with a bottle of Gosling's rum and a bottle of Fernet Branca. I thought it appropriate to honour the gift with this:

Doctors orders.JPG

Doctor's Orders. Campari, gin, Fernet Branca, sweet and dry vermouth, orange bitters. Not yet a favourite as this is a taste that will take some getting used to. I will sip and peruse The Joy of Mixology which also arrived for my enjoyment (on loan!).

My 2004 eG Blog

Doctor's Orders. Campari, gin, Fernet Branca, sweet and dry vermouth, orange bitters. Not yet a favourite as this is a taste that will take some getting used to. I will sip and peruse The Joy of Mixology which also arrived for my enjoyment (on loan!).

That sounds really tasty. I fetched the recipe for a day when I'm not battling a pounding, can't sit up or stand for long without the head feeling like it's going to explode, nasty-stomach-causing, weather-related sinus headache that refuses to loosen up. Tylenol sinus is the only thing that breaks the bad ones for me. I'm out and everything is closed so we're spending the day together. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

That sounds really tasty. I fetched the recipe for a day when I'm not battling a pounding, can't sit up or stand for long without the head feeling like it's going to explode, nasty-stomach-causing, weather-related sinus headache that refuses to loosen up. Tylenol sinus is the only thing that breaks the bad ones for me. I'm out and everything is closed so we're spending the day together. :biggrin:

Face over a bowl of boiling water sucking steam through your nose.

Tonight the Hop Toad from the Joy of Mixology. Rum, apricot brandy, lime. Fine on it's own but a bit of an off taste with the dinner I made.

DSCN3980.jpg

Guess I'll be looking for the small Oxo measure.

I wasn't successful finding them in stores, so I bought them here:

OXO 2 oz measuring cup

I found it much easier to use than regular jiggers, especially if you don't use speed pourers.

Anna and I saw them (and decided not to get them originally) in Home Outfitters - kind of a Canadian Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Face over a bowl of boiling water sucking steam through your nose.

Thanks Doc... water is heating now. Send me the bill. :biggrin:

Friday at last! Tonight's cocktail:

Army and Navy2.jpg

Gin, orgeat and lemon juice. Nice! Attractive too.

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN4012.jpg

Tonight I went for a slightly bastardized 'Fat Like Buddha' - 5 year old Flor de Cana, vya in place of dubonnet rouge, benedictine and cointreau. Flamed orange rind. Quite enjoyable.