• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

Not sure I'm a fan - perhaps part of the problem is that the maraschino is 70% alcohol.

70 percent? Really? 140 proof? I hope you mean 70 proof. From what I recall, though, there's 50 proof and 64 proof, but I could be wrong.

Christopher

Not sure I'm a fan - perhaps part of the problem is that the maraschino is 70% alcohol.

70 percent? Really? 140 proof? I hope you mean 70 proof. From what I recall, though, there's 50 proof and 64 proof, but I could be wrong.

Christopher

Really - it's 70%.

Christopher

Really - it's 70%.

Zoinks. Guess that's essentially a grappa rather than a liqueur. Pardon my doubting!

Christopher

Really - it's 70%.

Zoinks. Guess that's essentially a grappa rather than a liqueur. Pardon my doubting!

Going to have to figure out what to do with the rest of the bottle - I'm thinking starting fires would work.

Well there is some for sale at the LCBO in Stoney Creek which isn't too far from home - perhaps I should break down and buy a bottle for experimental purposes. Anna would share it with me I'm sure.

Absolutely! Did not even realize it was available here in BLUE Ontario.

So Kerry and I visited the LCBO today and got a bottle of Luxardo Maraschino and she had some Creme de Violette so I am sipping my first Aviation - still trying to decide whether it is hitting the spot or not. Unfortunately Kerry is working an emerg shift and can only dream of cocktails. :laugh:

Aviation.JPG

The proportions I used are:

2 ozs gin

3/4 oz lemon juice

1 tsp Maraschino

1 tsp Creme de Violette

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna -- with only 1 tsp of each liqueur, the 3/4oz of lemon might be too sour for some. Perhaps this contributed to your metza metza reaction? Using another tsp of Maraschino might help with the acid balance. I'm not hugely fond of Violette, so 1 tsp is enough for me, whereas Kerry use 1 1/2 tsp (= 1/4 oz). If the second tsp of Maraschino is too much, you could reduce the lemon a bit, or even add a tsp of simple.

BTW, you guys are mixing up some very sophisticated cocktails. You are definitely no longer novices!

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Anna -- with only 1 tsp of each liqueur, the 3/4oz of lemon might be too sour for some. Perhaps this contributed to your metza metza reaction? Using another tsp of Maraschino might help with the acid balance. I'm not hugely fond of Violette, so 1 tsp is enough for me, whereas Kerry use 1 1/2 tsp (= 1/4 oz). If the second tsp of Maraschino is too much, you could reduce the lemon a bit, or even add a tsp of simple.

BTW, you guys are mixing up some very sophisticated cocktails. You are definitely no longer novices!

You can't know how helpful this information is to me. I will be giving it a try and letting you know how it tastes to me. Thank you. I am still very much a novice though. :smile:

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Paper Planes - equal parts bourbon, aperol, ramzotti amaro and lemon.

My god, you keep picking my favorite cocktails. One small correction, however. The original Paper Plane uses Amaro Nonino, not Ramazzotti. The Paper Airplane variant uses Ramazzotti and Campari in lieu of Aperol.

Amaro Nonino is a much more delicate amaro and mates with the less bitter Aperol. Ramazzotti is much bolder and goes with the Campari. Of the two, I prefer the Airplane, myself. Cheaper, too!

Both Paper (Air)plane recipes with attribution

Paper Planes - equal parts bourbon, aperol, ramzotti amaro and lemon.

My god, you keep picking my favorite cocktails. One small correction, however. The original Paper Plane uses Amaro Nonino, not Ramazzotti. The Paper Airplane variant uses Ramazzotti and Campari in lieu of Aperol.

Amaro Nonino is a much more delicate amaro and mates with the less bitter Aperol. Ramazzotti is much bolder and goes with the Campari. Of the two, I prefer the Airplane, myself. Cheaper, too!

Both Paper (Air)plane recipes with attribution

I had both recipes in front of me - I was too cheap to buy the Amaro Nonino when I saw it the other day - hence the use of the Ramazzotti which was half the price. Guess I'll end up with yet another bottle if I'm not careful!

You can't know how helpful this information is to me. I will be giving it a try and letting you know how it tastes to me. Thank you. I am still very much a novice though. :smile:

So last night I had company and made your Aviation with the revised ratios. My male drinker considered it a nearly perfect cocktail, my daughter had to add ice to hers to make it tolerable and I remain on the fence - might try some simple syrup next time. I don't like overly sweet drinks but somehow this one is on the edge of what I like - may just need to get used to it.

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN3940.jpg

Tonight - an Old Flame from Dale DeGroff's 'The Craft of the Cocktail'.

Think it would benefit from a bit more sour - perhaps a bit of lemon, or maybe just better orange juice. And maybe a hair more campari.

On Saturday I had an Atlas which I found too booze forward for my taste (naturally, it's all alcohol!). Then last night I learned what Kerry was planning and decided to do the same. Comparing notes today our ratios for a Old Flame were different. I thoroughly enjoyed mine.

My 2004 eG Blog

You ladies inspired me to jump back out of tiki land for a bit so tonight I revisited the Juliet & Romeo. I'd almost forgotten what a nice drink it is because I tried it for the first (and only) time during a flurry of trying a bunch of drinks over a few days. I want to go back and try a few of them again now that I've been doing this cocktail thing a little longer.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

DSCN3968.jpg

Bastardized americano - campari, sweet vermouth and lemon frizzante. Hubby wasn't quite as fond of the bitterness from the sheer amount of campari, so I diluted his out a bit with some more vermouth and lemon fizzy water.

DSCN3968.jpg

Bastardized americano - campari, sweet vermouth and lemon frizzante. Hubby wasn't quite as fond of the bitterness from the sheer amount of campari, so I diluted his out a bit with some more vermouth and lemon fizzy water.

Tell Hubby to Man Up and embrace the bitterness. Sounds like a good drink.

Or just make Hubby a Cosmo tonight... :raz:

Not exactly sure what Lemon Frizzante tastes like. Like bitter lemon soda or more like fizzy lemonade? I wonder if this might be good with seltzer, lemon juice and oil, and a little sugar or simple.

I have been drinking Bonal and lemon as a second drink. Maybe I'll try a touch of Campari (along these lines). OTOH, I keep putting in a little rye, which doesn't make the "let's have a light little something else" go so well.

This thread makes me happy.

Or just make Hubby a Cosmo tonight... :raz:

Not exactly sure what Lemon Frizzante tastes like. Like bitter lemon soda or more like fizzy lemonade? I wonder if this might be good with seltzer, lemon juice and oil, and a little sugar or simple.

I have been drinking Bonal and lemon as a second drink. Maybe I'll try a touch of Campari (along these lines). OTOH, I keep putting in a little rye, which doesn't make the "let's have a light little something else" go so well.

This thread makes me happy.

It's bitter italian lemon soda. Imported and sold under the 'President's Choice' brand in the Loblaw chain of grocery stores. Lovely stuff.

Don't think he'd be a big fan of the cosmo - his favourites are the really peaty, smokey single malts from Islay. Just not as big a fan of as much bitter as I. He will drink a G&T with no argument.

I'll have to see if I can find that Kerry, there's no Loblaw's near here but there is a store that carries President's Choice products about an hour away.

Gave the Prime Minister a try last night...

1.5 oz Mount Gay Extra Old

.75 oz Lillet Blanc

.5 oz Cherry Heering

2 dashes bitters

Stir, strain, lemon twist.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Gave the Prime Minister a try last night...

1.5 oz Mount Gay Extra Old

.75 oz Lillet Blanc

.5 oz Cherry Heering

2 dashes bitters

Stir, strain, lemon twist.

And how was it? Did you like it?

Edited to add: Cherry Heering used to be a standard in our bar and in my FIL's bar but I see, though it is listed on the LCBO website, it does not appear in the inventory of any stores. Curious.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog