• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

I had a Corpse Reviver at the VTR - enjoyed it but think I would have liked it a bit more with a bit of simple in it.

CR#2? Odd. With equal parts gin, Lillet, Triple Sec, and lemon juice (plus an absinthe rinse), it should not need simple. I wonder if something was mis-measured or if the lemons were uncommonly sour.

I love this cocktails and find that hit holds up to lots of substitutions / variations. Green Chartreuse for Absinthe. Creole Shrubb for Triple Sec, other aromatized wines for the Lillet. Apple Pucker for the lemon juice. OK, maybe not the last one.

Edit: I just made this tonight, and it is tarter than I remembered. While I love tart cocktails like this, I can see that one might scale back the lemon juice a bit for a sweeter drink.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

With regards to the CR #2, I usually scale down the lemon to 3/4 oz in mine. And if you can get your hands on Cocchi Aperitivo Americano to use in place of the Lillet (since its more pronounced quinine flavor is more in line with the original formula Lillet) then you'll have yourself a terrific Corpse Reviver.

Dan

Came back from Cleveland (via Buffalo) with several new bottles to work with. I have the sweet Vya mentioned above, Carpano Antico, Punt e Mes and some fresh unoxidized St Germain. I also picked up a Bulliet Rye. Finally I got a bottle of St George Absinthe - correction - half a bottle of St George Absinthe - the other half the bottle leaked out on the back seat of the car.

Tell me your thoughts here - I want to make a 'Brothers Perryman' like I had at Manifesto.

I don't have G'Vine gin - but thought I'd try 1 ounce Beefeater, 3/4 ounce St Germain, and 3/4 ounce campari with a flamed orange rind. Would that be reasonable proportions?

With regards to the CR #2, I usually scale down the lemon to 3/4 oz in mine.

From what? I use 3/4oz of each for 3oz into the tin.

Doh! From 1oz. (I likes my Corpse Revivers to be SuperSized)

So if you're using 3/4oz as your base, try 1/2oz for the lemon.

Dan

I likes my Corpse Revivers to be SuperSized

Me too. I use 1 oz as the base... but I like the balance so I don't know if I'd want to drop the lemon.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

DSCN3880.jpg

Tonight - the Cornwall Negroni.

Hubby has decided he needs a round glass - he says if I'm going to continue to use large chunks of ice that square glasses just won't do!

All these Negroni variations. Hmmmm. Negroni flights? That would be so fun.

That would indeed!

I was just rebottling a couple of things and got a taste of the Carpano antica - shit I think I'm in love! That stuff is candy. Now to do a little research - I think it's going in to tomorrow's drink.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

DSCN3883.jpg

Disappointing drink tonight - had to bin it! Manhattan with carpano antica and Bulleit rye. Not aided by the attempt to add a couple of dashes of bitters - instead had the lid off and added a large glug.

Decided I'm not a big fan of rye - realize in retrospect I never have really cared for it. Hubby said he got instant heartburn from it. I switched to bourbon when I remixed my Manhattan and made hubby a negroni variation.

DSCN3883.jpg

Decided I'm not a big fan of rye - realize in retrospect I never have really cared for it. Hubby said he got instant heartburn from it. I switched to bourbon when I remixed my Manhattan and made hubby a negroni variation.

Put the rye away for a while but come back to it after you have your bourbon drinks nailed and are feeling in a bit of a rut. Nothing wrong with bourbon cocktails IMO but you may find rye adds a new dimension to keep you taste buds from getting jaded. There will be some adjustment of the other ingredients but I'm sure you will be better equipped to figure out how to get to something you like.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

DSCN3885.jpg

Rum swizzle - a hit.

Looks tasty! Recipe?

2 ounces rum (I used Cockspur VSOR)

1 ounce lime

1 ounce pineapple juice

1 ounce orange juice

1/4 ounce grenadine

dash bitters

Oh yeah - and it's supposed to be in a taller glass (gotta get some).

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

The Voyager - rum, lime, benedictine, falernum, angostura. I do love rum!

Me too... and that combined with the hot weather we've been having had me spending most of the past few weeks checking out tiki drinks but I think I need to park the hawiian shirts and tiki mugs soon and get back to exploring a wider range of drinks again.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

DSCN3893.jpg

The Voyager - rum, lime, benedictine, falernum, angostura. I do love rum!

Probably my favorite Robert Hess original. In fact I think I'm going to shake one up right now. What rum did you go with?

[mixes drink. . . ]

Yep, that is very good. I honored the original Hess recipe and used Bacardi 8, but I had every intention of using El Dorado 5 until I realized I was out! :sad:

Grog shop run tomorrow.