• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

DSCN3811.jpg

Tonight we took the River Cafe's Strawberry Sorbet from Food 52, put it in a glass with some ice and topped with Lillet Blanc. A little disappointing - not sure what might have made it better. I suspect it needed a little more complexity.

So I made the El Diablo last night - and wasn't wild about it. I think it's the tequila I bought (it's the first one I've ever bought). I used a reposado tequila (El Jimador) - should I have used a non-aged tequila instead?

I don't know a whole lot about tequila, but figured, hey, since I like amber rum better than white rum, I'll probably like aged tequila better than non-aged. Nothing wrong with the reposado, it was fine on its own, but it didn't taste totally delicious with the cassis.

Oooh it might be the cassis then - mine's been open for 8 months or so. It's L'Heritier Guyot (only one of two brands available at the gov't liquor store).

Kerry is working emerg today so no drink for her! But before she headed off she made me this Sidecar. Have yet to fully make up my mind on this one. Hoping it grows on me.

Sidecar.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sidecars! I love these! I think this was the first cocktail I ever made successfully (I had found the recipe in one of Jamie Oliver's early books, of all places, when I knew absolutely nothing about cocktails). Hopefully it will grow on you.

I am thinking a Tantris sidecar is in my near future.

A good tip that I found on eGullet was to only rim half of the glass with sugar. That way you can savor your cocktail both with and without sugar.

I am thinking a Tantris sidecar is in my near future.

The Tantris Sidecar is a little on the sweet side but it is tasty. Well worth a try in my opinion.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Oooh it might be the cassis then - mine's been open for 8 months or so. It's L'Heritier Guyot (only one of two brands available at the gov't liquor store).

Yup, 8 months is more than enough time for it to take on "off" flavours. Might not be noticeable in cooked applications (I like it in cranberry sauce), but it'll come across as funny in a drink.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Kerry is working emerg today so no drink for her! But before she headed off she made me this Sidecar. Have yet to fully make up my mind on this one. Hoping it grows on me.

The Sidecar is a wonderful cocktail, but please, for the love of all that is holy, invest in a better brandy! :raz:

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

The Sidecar is a wonderful cocktail, but please, for the love of all that is holy, invest in a better brandy! :raz:

Ah, so that raises the question - what brandy should we be purchasing?

It all depends on your price point, I guess. I'm not a huge brandy connoisseur, so I don't go all out on the expense. I tend to stick to Gaston de Lagrange VS Cognac, De Montal Armagnac or the quite decent Kittling Ridge brandy.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

It all depends on your price point, I guess. I'm not a huge brandy connoisseur, so I don't go all out on the expense. I tend to stick to Gaston de Lagrange VS Cognac, De Montal Armagnac or the quite decent Kittling Ridge brandy.

Wonder if I could get a deal at the Kittling Ridge distillery - actually I think I recall that you can't buy their spirits there - just the Ice Wine and Brandy. Humm ... wonder who I know who works there?

Wonder if I could get a deal at the Kittling Ridge distillery - actually I think I recall that you can't buy their spirits there - just the Ice Wine and Brandy. Humm ... wonder who I know who works there?

Last time I was there, they had the full range. They even had a tasting room. If you're going to go, let me know - I'll join you! I've always wanted to meet John Hall. :biggrin:

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I made a decision to bite my tongue and not comment on the cognac in my earlier post, so I would not sound like a complete snob. :laugh: But Matt is right, since it's such a simple cocktail, the cognac quality does make a difference. I use Remy Martin VSOP after being disappointed with cheaper cognacs I experimented with.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Last time I was there, they had the full range. They even had a tasting room. If you're going to go, let me know - I'll join you! I've always wanted to meet John Hall. :biggrin:

We shall organize that - we could hit a few other places in the area too. One of the wineries makes a wonderful port that I'm totally enamoured with.

I made a decision to bite my tongue and not comment on the cognac in my earlier post, so I would not sound like a complete snob. :laugh: But Matt is right, since it's such a simple cocktail, the cognac quality does make a difference. I use Remy Martin VSOP after being disappointed with cheaper cognacs I experimented with.

Basically that's the bottle we had in the house to be used for cooking (can't recall what we were making in the fall that required it) - never occurred to us we needed better. I know Anna has a much nicer bottle of brandy at home that I picked up for her in Buffalo and had an eG chocolate conference attendee bring across the border for me. I need more american friends that come across the border frequently!

Basically that's the bottle we had in the house to be used for cooking (can't recall what we were making in the fall that required it) - never occurred to us we needed better. I know Anna has a much nicer bottle of brandy at home that I picked up for her in Buffalo and had an eG chocolate conference attendee bring across the border for me. I need more american friends that come across the border frequently!

Ears perking up until that word "frequently". :biggrin:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Ears perking up until that word "frequently". :biggrin:

MelissaH

Actually - anyone coming across anytime. Doesn't need to be frequently! Always happy to add another couple of bottles of cheaper american booze.

DSCN3821.jpg

For our last drinking day up north - Manhattans. Enjoyed while sitting on the balcony overlooking the marina.

We have managed to accumulate two boxes full of cocktail stuff - that's not counting the various glasses we picked up. On the off chance that a 14 year old is going to be staying in the condo here over the next few months - it will all go for safekeeping at a home with no teens.

I am home now and the bar at home offers very different ingredients than we have been playing with on Manitoulin. Tonight's drink for me:

rob roy.jpg

a Rob Roy.

Tomorrow I will do an inventory of this bar and Tuesday will try to get to the LCBO to supplement its meagre offerings.

Not sure if this is a cocktail glass or not! :laugh: Since I never before drank cocktails I always considered it a fruit nappy.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

If it holds liquid and you like the look, it's a fine cocktail glass.

Thanks! Kerry and I will be on a mission to outfit our respective bars with all the necessary ingredients, implements and glassware once we get organized after our month on the Island.

My 2004 eG Blog

Hit Value Village (thrift store) today - open on the holiday which surprised me. Found a half decent (but not great) shaker for $3.99, a couple of glasses for future use and a couple of cocktail books - "the New York Bar-Tenders Guide" and something called "Cold Tea at Three".

The LCBO (provincial liquor store) was also open so I managed to pick up a bottle of sweet vermouth to make Negronis for myself, hubby and dad. They really enjoyed them - but given the import strength gin even with just an ounce of gin we were all a little 'relaxed' after dinner.

DSCN3830.jpg

So tonight I introduced my daughter to the cocktail habit with a Between the Sheets.

Between the Sheets.jpg

Not a very good photo so my apologies. I can understand how it got its name. :blink:

Any appropriate garnish?

My 2004 eG Blog

Since you both seem to be enjoying Campari cocktails, make sure you try the Lucien Gaudin. http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/lucien-gaudin-cocktail

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes