• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

I'm not Samuel but I like the 20th Century. The lemon ties the seemingly strange combination together nicely. It rides along just beneath the surface brightening the herbal flavors and taming the chocolate without killing it. I like the variations on it as well. The 19th Century (bourbon, creme de cacao, lemon, dubonnet rouge) is darker and tastes it but it's a nice take on the original. The 21st Century (tequila, creme de cacao, lemon, absinthe rinse) is my least favorite of the three but I didn't hate it. I just wasn't completely sold on the absinthe rinse. It seemed a bit out of place but that could easily just be my lack of experience showing.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Opted for the gimlet tonight - not my best choice I'd say. Kind of one dimensional - nothing thrilling.

Report on todays food and drink here.

DSCN3614.jpg

You could make a 20th Century

Tell me more.

It's gin, Lillet blanc, crème de cacao and lemon juice. You can either go 1 1/2 for the gin and 3/4 for everything else (2:1:1:1), or 2 for the gin and 1/2 for everything else (4:1:1:1), or 2 for the gin, 3/4 for the lemon and lillet, and 1/2 for the crème de cacao.

Samuel - how would you describe the taste of this? Sounds like an odd combination.

That's the beauty of it! You think to yourself, "gin, Lillet, lemon and . . . chocolate?" And that's pretty much the experience you have when drinking it. When it's balanced right, the chocolate kind of sneaks up on you during the finish.

--

Tell me more.

It's gin, Lillet blanc, crème de cacao and lemon juice. You can either go 1 1/2 for the gin and 3/4 for everything else (2:1:1:1), or 2 for the gin and 1/2 for everything else (4:1:1:1), or 2 for the gin, 3/4 for the lemon and lillet, and 1/2 for the crème de cacao.

Samuel - how would you describe the taste of this? Sounds like an odd combination.

It tastes like delicious.

I would try the gimlet with fresh lime and simple. (2 oz gin, 3/4 lime, 3/4 simple (1:1)) I realize that Rose's is "traditional," but fresh lime is so much better.

Tell me more.

That's the beauty of it! You think to yourself, "gin, Lillet, lemon and . . . chocolate?" And that's pretty much the experience you have when drinking it. When it's balanced right, the chocolate kind of sneaks up on you during the finish.

OK - it's on the list.

Tell me more.

I have to say I'm just not a fan. I really tried to like this, but lemon and chocolate doesn't appeal to me at all.

I would try the gimlet with fresh lime and simple. (2 oz gin, 3/4 lime, 3/4 simple (1:1)) I realize that Rose's is "traditional," but fresh lime is so much better.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like Rose's in the right application, of which a Gimlet is one. Gin, simple and lime is a fine drink, but it's not a Gimlet.

I have to say I'm just not a fan. I really tried to like this, but lemon and chocolate doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'm in the same boat. I tried it once, and decided it was a waste of good gin. I'll probably try it again the next time I open a bottle of Lillet, but more out of obstinacy than anything.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like Rose's in the right application, of which a Gimlet is one. Gin, simple and lime is a fine drink, but it's not a Gimlet.

If you're in the minority, you're in good company! Gin, simple and lime is a delicious gin sour, but it is not a Gimlet. I'm fond of homemade lime cordial now, but I'll take Rose's if there's nothing else available.

One thing about that, Kerry: Gin purchased in Ontario is not to be trusted in a Gimlet. You really need the export-strength (47% abv) Tanqueray or Beefeater for it to sing.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

One thing about that, Kerry: Gin purchased in Ontario is not to be trusted in a Gimlet. You really need the export-strength (47% abv) Tanqueray or Beefeater for it to sing.

Oh dear - and it appears we need more gin!

Tonight was a two cocktail night (actually 2 for Anna - 1.05 for me cause I knocked my first one over very early in the game).

The first was the Pegu cocktail - very much enjoyed (what I had of it before the carpet enjoyed the rest) - followed the advice of less lime vs the orange liqueur. Finally got to use one of my two bottle of angostura bitters.

DSCN3630.jpg

Ran out and grabbed some more gin and made the 20th Century. I think I could be a fan. The smell reminds me of the vitamin cocktail that my mother used to give us on a spoon as children. Loved that stuff.

DSCN3641.jpg

Besides, with Aperol I'd think that the Intro to Aperol is a no-brainer, and it's very approachable for those not experienced in cocktails.

2 oz Aperol

1 oz (Beefeater) Gin

¾ oz Lemon Juice

¼ oz Simple Syrup

1 dash Angostura Bitters

This should not be missed.

Edit: oops missed second page

Edited by Steamtrain (log)

A big bottle of Cointreau would make this a lot easier.

Funny you should mention it - as of two days ago we do! And it is big as there are no smaller ones at the LCBO.

DSCN3671.jpg

Old Fashioneds tonight - muddled the lemon rind with a bit of sugar, added a bit of additional turbinado syrup, couple of nice big dashes of angostura, jigger of bourbon.

Had to use a tart tamper as my muddler.

Yesterday I smoked a little bourbon with my smoking gun. It came out pretty darn smokey.

DSCN3665.jpg

Decided to use a small amount of the smoked bourbon with some not smoked bourbon to make some Ward 8's tonight - not something I'm going to try again! Not sure if it was because it was just too smokey or if it's not a combination I enjoy. Guess I'm going to have to try it again at some point with regular bourbon.

DSCN3687.jpg

Guess the leftover smoked bourbon will go into the Kentucky BBQ sauce from MC that Anna's working on tomorrow.

Let me suggest two things to try with the smoked bourbon before you give up on it. They both use maple syrup which should help tam the smoke a bit. You might also cut the smoked bourbon with straight bourbon as you did before if the flavor is still too much.

Maple Leaf

PDT Bacon-Infused Old Fashioned

For the latter cocktail, you should be able to sub your smoked bourbon for the bacon-infused bourbon to nice effect.

Let me suggest two things to try with the smoked bourbon before you give up on it. They both use maple syrup which should help tam the smoke a bit. You might also cut the smoked bourbon with straight bourbon as you did before if the flavor is still too much.

Maple Leaf

PDT Bacon-Infused Old Fashioned

For the latter cocktail, you should be able to sub your smoked bourbon for the bacon-infused bourbon to nice effect.

Thanks for the ideas - I'll give them a try. I would have made a smoke 'n choke if I was at home where I have a bottle of Cynar.

Sorry for the self promotion (well I'm not that sorry as think it could really help :)) here but have a look at the MyBar feature on our site:

http://makemeacocktail.com/

It allows you to put in what you have to show you what you can make.

For instance the Pegu Club:

http://makemeacocktail.com/fullscreen/cid/6903/

Which is a favourite of mine!

We use some substitution filters as well to try and show you what you possibly could make with a small twist (ie Orange liqueur substituted for Triple Sec / Cointreau) - as we think it just opens up your results a little and allows you try slightly different twists on the classic recipe.

Anyway, keep on posting here your findings, I'm enjoying your journey through the cocktails.

Nick

P.S Just remember to add all your home ingredients and mixers to the list.

Edited by Make me a Cocktail (log)

Sorry for the self promotion (well I'm not that sorry as think it could really help :)) here but have a look at the MyBar feature on our site:

http://makemeacocktail.com/

It allows you to put in what you have to show you what you can make.

For instance the Pegu Club:

http://makemeacocktail.com/fullscreen/cid/6903/

Which is a favourite of mine!

We use some substitution filters as well to try and show you what you possibly could make with a small twist (ie Orange liqueur substituted for Triple Sec / Cointreau) - as we think it just opens up your results a little and allows you try slightly different twists on the classic recipe.

Anyway, keep on posting here your findings, I'm enjoying your journey through the cocktails.

Nick

P.S Just remember to add all your home ingredients and mixers to the list.

Interesting Nick - but it has me making cocktails with ingredients I didn't tell it I had.

Hmm weird, it shouldn't do if you just go to MyBar and then click on "Find Cocktails Using My Bar Ingredients" (or infact if you hit Random Cocktail is uses MyBar).

I suspect its probably made some substitutions that weren't really obvious (ie substituted ingredient A for ingredient B and you're not aware of the substitution). I'll have a look at it and maybe show the substitution (by showing what you had and what it is telling you what you could use instead).

Always tweaking the algorithm to be more useful - thanks for looking and the feedback - and sorry it didn't quite do what you wanted it to at first glance.

Nick

Edited by Make me a Cocktail (log)

Strangely it had me making a drink with peaches - and I know I didn't tell it I had peaches! But I love the concept and look forward to playing with it some more.

Manhattan, and if you can get your hands on some Cynar, the "Little Italy".

For something a little less spirit-forward, I like the Blinker - grapefruit, rye or bourbon, and raspberry syrup (I think replaced with grenadine later on; if you can find a natural grenadine, it might be an Ok substitute, but I like the raspberry syrup). It's sweet and easy to drink, but still balanced.

If you don't have a good source for the syrup there (not the Italian soda kind; I think Ted Haigh swears by Smuckers brand Red Raspberry syrup), you can make your own, which is a bit of a pain, but will last for a while.

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2008/07/blinker-cocktail.html

Sadly Cynar is not available anywhere near where we are now - when I come up in the fall I'll be sure to bring some along.

Today we added a bottle of Campari to our supplies and a few assorted bar items. I'll get a picture of our new additions up as soon as I can.

DSCN3732.jpg

Added to our supplies. Unfortunately the nice glass jigger didn't survive the trip, fortunately those two lovely coupes did, though we'll be washing them carefully by hand!

With a couple of exceptions most were thrift store finds.