• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zeemanb

eG Foodblog: Zeemanb (2011) - A sweetbread or so north of "Winter&

I enjoyed every minute of it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Great fun Jerry - thanks so much. Enjoyed the writing as much as the food - shame you had to tame it down!

Great food, great writing. Thanks Jerry.

Jerry, thank you for blogging. What a powerful voice you have. Keep writing and enjoying life! Good luck with the duck, I am sure it will turn out great.

I really enjoyed your Dim Sum experience. I'd LOVE to eat Dim Sum sum-day. Never gotten the opportunity.

I'm sorry for your loss, such a young age....I'm glad you guys got to experience NYC together like that.

I had a wonderful time reading your blog, and laughed out loud a lot. Thanks for sharing your week.

Before the thread closes, just wanted to give a huge THANK YOU again to everyone for making it so rewarding...you all know what it's like spending time around family and friends who may not appreciate or understand where we are coming from, so it is incredibly comforting to share your story with likeminded people.

And boy is it nice now not to worry about getting the little knee-jerks throughout the day remembering a photo op I missed..... :biggrin: .

And a huge THANK YOU to you, Jerry. Thanks you for sharing such a fun week with us -- I don't know which was better -- the food you shared or your wonderful writing.

I've been through your neck of the woods a couple of times, doing a mad dash from the great white north to sunny California, never stopping. Should I be so lucky to get there again I'm going to plan on spending some time. Thanks. :wink:

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By Mullinix18
      I'm thinking about starting a blog featuring the recipes of antoine Carême that I've translated from 1700s French? No English versions of his works exist and his work is hard to find, even though he is the greatest chef who ever lived. After I get through his works I'd add menon, la Varenne, and other hard to find, but historically important masters of French cuisine. 
    • By Duvel
      Prologue:

Originally, we intended to spend this Chinese New Year in Hong Kong. We have travelled a lot last year and will need to attend a wedding already next month in Germany, so I was happy to spend some quiet days at home (and keep the spendings a bit under control as well). As a consequence, we had not booked any flights in the busiest travel time of the year in this region …

But – despite all good intentions – I found myself two weeks ago calling the hotline of my favourite airline in the region, essentially cashing in on three years of extensive business travel and checking where I could get on short notice over CNY on miles. I was expecting a laughter on the other side of the line but this is the one time my status in their loyalty reward program paid out big time: three seats for either Seoul or Kansai International (earliest morning flights, of course). No need to choose, really – Kyoto, here we come !

• By Rene_lorraine
      I'm a pastry cook working in NYC. We have a seasonal bread that we do with chickpeas, garlic (fresh and confit) and pecorino. We drain and rinse the chickpeas and it was working for a while but it hasn't been consistent. Bread turns out flat. What is it in chickpeas that kills the yeast and how can we counteract the effect? I'm taking a long shot by posting but wanted to further educate myself and fellow team members. Thanks so much. 
    • By Tara Middleton
      Alright so as of a few months ago, I decided to take an impromptu trip to Europe--mostly unplanned but with several priorities set in mind: find the best food and locate the most game-changing ice cream spots on the grounds of each city I sought out for. One of the greatest, most architecturally unique and divine cities I have visited thus far has gotta be Vienna, Austria. But what in the heck is there to eat over there?! (you might ask). 'Cause I sure as hell didn't know. So, I desperately reached out to a local Viennese friend of mine, who knows and understands my avid passion for all things edible, and she immediately shot back some must-have food dishes. Doing a bit of research beforehand, I knew I had to try the classic "Kasekreiner". Please forgive my German if I spelled that wrong. But no matter how you say it- say it with passion, because passion is just about all I felt when I ate it. Translated: it basically means cheese sausage. Honestly, what is there not to love about those two words. Even if that's not necessarily your go-to, do me a favor and give it a shot. Trust me, you won't regret it. A classic Austrian pork sausage with pockets of melty cheese, stuffed into a crisp French Baguette. No ketchup necessary (...and as an American, that's saying a lot). YUM. Best spot to try out this one-of-a-kind treat?! Bitzinger bei der Albertina – Würstelstand. Now here's a shot of me with my one true love in front of this classic Viennese green-domed building-- Karlskirche. Now, go check it.