• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Zeemanb (2011) - A sweetbread or so north of "Winter&

Zeemanb

DowntownParkville.jpg

Well, it’s officially Sunday and we have a whole lot to cover this week, so...hello and welcome to Missouri. I’m a troll’s troll. And as much as I’d like to pretend that I actually DO live under a bridge waiting for goats to walk by, I am looking forward to putting my OCD to work and showing you a little bit of “MY Kansas City”. To begin my blog I’ll open it with an absolutely true story…in addition to changing the way I approach food, whether it’s dining in a new city or trying a new recipe, I owe the largest part of my happy life to eGullet. For it was HERE that my lurker wife (I’m sure she’ll pop in here at some point) first spotted my gleefully grammatically challenged wordsmithing and began to stalk me…and it went like THIS-

A few months after my gastric bypass surgery in 2007, I hosted a dinner party and talked about it on the Sopranos food thread:

The Sopranos Dinner Thread

So she saw that and was like “Oh man, this guy is going places!”, and she fell into the vortex that is my blog (which DOES contain adult themes and language…BIG time) after hopping over there to read the extended version of the dinner. My blog is kind of like a landfill and gets about ten accidental visits per day, one comment every three months…it is absolutely shill and self-promotion proof. So in the interest of including some important non-food info I’ll link to a specific post without feeling too bad about possibly boosting my traffic to twenty over the next few days. If you skip to the third comment, that is where this whole story took off after a random dinner party report. My wife-to-be happened to post to something I wrote about online dating...comments complete with John Cusack references. Anybody here have a heart?!?! Isn’t it PRECIOUS?!?!?

Thoughts about dating that reeled in a wife...

And so thanks to eGullet we were off and running! I was in Kansas City, she was in Richmond, Virginia...and after several months of phone calls and literally hundreds of pages of emails we arranged our first face time. Planning for a worst case scenario, she would drive to DC (which would give her a quick escape if needed), and I would fly in and have three days to eat and drink in that town…with our without her.

So where was our official “first date”? Is that a rhetorical question? We were going to be in DC, and you don’t remain a bachelor until almost forty without learning a thing or two about “classy” first dates. So no brainer…minibar. BOOM. You can’t make that stuff up. And my wife mentioned how much she likes it when the eG food bloggers include a picture, so here you go- this is us on that first date, at the bar at Café Atlantico, waiting to be summoned upstairs:

minibardate.JPG

We had a small destination wedding in Savannah, Georgia in Whitefield Square’s gazebo. On June 25th we celebrated our second anniversary during a roadtrip to Deadwood, South Dakota (Corn Palace, Wall Drug, the works). We live in Parkville, Missouri, which is about ten minutes northwest of downtown Kansas City (Missouri…there’s another one in Kansas :smile: ). No kids, but we do have three rescue animals...one cute but common decency-challenged cocker spaniel and two one-eyed cats. Overall, life right now is grand. And this is a FOOD blog, but I will add that what makes life so great is making it through a pretty crazy first couple of years...I mean, we did everything you’re NOT supposed to do. Long distance relationship where we both bounced back and forth between Richmond and KC, planning a wedding with the full knowledge that in a few months I would be laid off from my job, getting married and then having her leave home to move a thousand miles away...finally arriving here with no job prospects and me being out of work for what ended up being seven months. 2009 was crazy….five people in my family died that year, I got married, I quit drinking, my whole team got laid off, my bachelor pad was about to be retrofitted for estrogen-friendliness, wife looking for a job, a one-eyed cat thrown into the mix...you don’t realize how crazy it is when you’re in the middle of it. So now I am literally thankful every single day for what we’ve got; we’re both employed (I’m in IT, she’s in healthcare), we have a happy home, great family and friends...and we love our food. When the good times come you devour them, and you pass on as much good as you can to others. And life will always come back and happen to you at some point…and sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, the good times will return. And when they DO return, YOU CELEBRATE WITH A FANTASTIC MEAL!

So I just wanted to give that little backdrop to set up what I’m wanting to do with this week. I could have gone a million different directions or just try to make this what I think of as “eGullet-y”. But as my wife told me, there isn’t really any NEW ground to cover on this site, so best to just personalize it and see where it goes. I’m just going to blog how I blog, food-centric and minus the wildly excessive profanity... other than that pretty unedited and full of self-amusement. You’re going to see some good food, I promise you that. I’m going to test your limits with my rambling, horrible photography, and movie references...and I AM the king of the ellipses... but it’s going to revolve around food, who we are, and what makes us love eating in KC. I’ve lived in Arizona and Minneapolis, but Kansas City Kansas is where I was born (on the 4th of July!) and most of my life has happened in the major metropolitan area. I moved to the Missouri side after my broken-hearted return from Minneapolis in 1995, because it is just better than Kansas. Sorry, it’s just true :smile: .

I’ll have to leave a lot of stuff out that may tweak folks familiar with the area, but I’m always available for questions, requests, and whatever is of interest about food in my town. If it exists here, I’m probably at least aware of it, I am deeply familiar with the current scene, and we eat EVERYTHING, too bad we've only got the week. Like many eG bloggers it will be a big one-off as far as overall dining costs and calories in a seven day span. Oh, and here’s the big kicker...no BBQ. I create world class bbq, I love talking about it, and am happy to chit-chat, but that is one serious all-or-nothing topic. Plus, a Kansas City blog without bbq is just funny. I gotta be FREE! Some NEW stuff! For its size, Kansas City has an amazing food community, and I will give you just a tiny fraction….and please ignore any eye-rolling and fact checking from other KC eGulleters because MY KC is the coolest version...full of folklore and intrigue!!!

Oh, and “zeemanb” is a screen name I’ve used since around 1995 when I first got online. Sadly, some from KC think it has something to do with the Z-Man sandwich at Oklahoma Joe’s BBQ…but cheese belongs on bbq about as much as mango chutney or pop rocks…or bbq sauce…so not hardly. I took the name from the character Z-Man Barzell in the Russ Meyer classic “Beyond the Valley of the Dolls”, written by Roger Ebert. My holy trinity of movie directors would be Stanley Kubrick, John Waters, and Jim Jarmusch...so there is a big clue into my voice and worldview- with deepest apologies.

In the morning I’ll detail how we approach hard narcotics, er, I mean COFFEE in this house. We’ve got friends coming over in the afternoon for some Ad Hoc fried chicken, and I am DYING to post dinner from tonight. I know it happened a couple of hours earlier than the start of the blog, but I assure you it is not to be ignored. Gotta hit the hay, so until then here are a few random shots to tide you over:

Photo of my favorite spoonrest. And by favorite, I mean my only spoonrest:

SpoonRest.jpg

We find that the best use for the extra plastic grocery baggies we steal is- cheap cat toy:

StolenBag.jpg

Lastly, before I head to bed, here is some super cool food photography we bought while we were on our anniversary roadtrip:

Fiddlehead.jpg

More rambles once I get the caffeine in my veins.....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

So I just wanted to give that little backdrop to set up what I’m wanting to do with this week. I could have gone a million different directions or just try to make this what I think of as “eGullet-y”. But as my wife told me, there isn’t really any NEW ground to cover on this site, so best to just personalize it and see where it goes. I’m just going to blog how I blog, food-centric and minus the wildly excessive profanity... other than that pretty unedited and full of self-amusement. You’re going to see some good food, I promise you that. I’m going to test your limits with my rambling, horrible photography, and movie references...and I AM the king of the ellipses... but it’s going to revolve around food, who we are, and what makes us love eating in KC. I’ve lived in Arizona and Minneapolis, but Kansas City Kansas is where I was born (on the 4th of July!) and most of my life has happened in the major metropolitan area. I moved to the Missouri side after my broken-hearted return from Minneapolis in 1995, because it is just better than Kansas. Sorry, it’s just true :smile: .

JERRY !!!

I loved your intro, and this is going to be one very cool blog, I can tell already. I also *heart* your philosophy above ! So cool. Just what a blog should be. Loved the critters (you know they're close to *my* heart) and the story about how you & your wife met and made a life. I've always liked your perspective on topics, so I'm buckling in for a good week.

OH ! And belated Happy Birthday from one July baby to another. Mine's Monday ! :wink:

(Oh again...I love ellipses too. I think I need a 12-step program....) Blog on, then, and show us the Great Heartland.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Yes, yes, YES! I am so excited about this blog! I love your writing, my friend - that careening, exciting, breathless plummet - will it end in a blaze of glory, or a train wreck??? I'm betting GLORY - it always does on Unsaved Loved Ones.

Mr. Kim and I have the honor of actually KNOWING this delightful couple and are crushed that Meredith moved to KC instead of Jerry moving HERE!

Can't wait for every moment!

Love your stories, your writing style, your attitudes (except that I am very old and uncomfortable with excessive profanity [which you are going to eschew for eG]), and as for your being the king of the ellipsis...I have long been the queen of said. We also stop at Wall Drug each time through. And we met in a closet 54 years ago. And rescue Rotties.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

French Press is a steepin'...

NORMALLY I don't sleep in like a lazy slug, but the porkfest and staying up too late last night took its toll. I'm realizing just how bad of a hit Farmville is going to take this week.....my neighbors are not going to be happy about their lack of free gift deliveries.

rarerollingobject- Now you've gone and made me feel weird about the fact that I didn't have any cooking planned from "Fat" or "Bones" at any point this week.....will revisit, lol. They really ARE Bibles.

Pierogi- Happy Birthday! Only the finest among us were born in July. Glad you enjoyed the intro- I usually error on the side of "too much information", and in this particular case I wanted to soften you all up a little bit with the romantic stuff so I have more latitude later if I go off the reservation.

Sylvia- I generally try running something past my wife if I have any question about where it is on the gonzo-meter before I post...so far, no silent blank stares from her, but we'll see. Mainly I want to do the food blog justice....loved Peter the Eater's blog, we've had some great ones recently.

Kim- Eh,you I know already, so good morning, lol. I will try to keep our shared "country mouse" enthusiasm in full effect.

Darienne- Thanks so much! I will definitely, definitely be eG-friendly this week without losing too much of the punch.

LindaK- The food community here is outstanding, and my HOPE is that after I get time to blog last night's dinner properly you will be filled with regret by the end of TODAY, lol.

(Edited to add a response...)

Edited by Zeemanb (log)

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Starting to wake up a little. No idea about breakfast. That question doesn't generally enter my mind before I can get some of this coffee in me. We have a couple of friends coming over at 2:30 for fried chicken, so we may just gut it out. And if so, I promise you boring shots of a handful of peanuts or a hard boiled egg at some point this week.

COFFEE TALK, and then I'm off to vacuum seal some brined birdy and get it in the Sous Vide Supreme....

Okay, the way I do coffee is going to drive real coffee people nuts. I love the coffee threads, people blow my mind with their knowledge and dedication to the art. BUT people who drink Folgers look at ME like I'm one of YOU...so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

coffee.jpg

This is where it all begins, I've been home roasting for about ten years or so and have zero plans to upgrade my methods- Here we see my Poppery II hot air popcorn popper (when one starts to take longer roasting, I buy another) and a wide array of green beans from Sweetmarias. As a junky, I have to make sure we will never....EVER...be without beans, and right now I probably have about 40ish pounds out in the garage.

My current stockpile includes Ethiopian Nigusie Lemma, Yemen Mokha Ismaili, Bali Natural Monsooned, and Sweetmarias Liquid Amber Espresso Blend.

Once I find something I like, I stick with it. My workhorse is usually Ethiopian Harar when a good batch is available. My FAVORITES are the Yemen Mokha Ismaili and Aged Sumatra. My methodology for trying a new bean is very scientific- whenever they post something from Africa or Asia that is listed as "Intensity- Bold", I order some.

As far as hardware in the kitchen, I use a good old Bodum French Press, a big Chemex and a 10-cup Bialetti Moka Pot. My grinder is a Capresso Infinity. On the weekend when we're not necessarily wanting to see through walls, I'll break out the Chemex. During the WEEK, well, I make it strong....I get up and get the Moka pot and the French Press going. Our drive-to-work cups come from the Moka Pot, and the pressed batch goes into a thermos and comes to work with me.

There you go. After ten years of practice, that is what it comes down to. And while it's about three hundred degrees too warm to sit on the deck with a cup and occasional cigar, here's a testament to my "dudeness"...because nothing goes with coffee like a serious stick from an island south of Miami....

Humidor.jpg

I only enjoy about two per month, always on the golf course, and always with a travel cup of my homeroast in hand. A pocketful of bacon and the scenario would be perfect.

I'll be checking in between getting the chicken prepped and starting dinner...thanks everyone for reading! I will do my best to interrupt your work days this week.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Wait a minute -- a hot air popcorn popper to roast coffee beans? You can DO that? Where have I been?

I need details. And I think my coffee life is about to kick up into another gear.

Loved the intro. Gonzo food blogging is a wonderful thing. Anxious to follow you this week!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

"a pocketful of bacon and the scenario would be perfect" :laugh:

ANY scenario would be improved by a pocketful of bacon, silly!

Can't wait to follow all your adventures this week. Love your other blog, too, so this should be fun!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Chicken is resting comfortably at 60C, and about twenty more photos have been loaded onto my desktop....

Sundaysousvide.jpg

Wait a minute -- a hot air popcorn popper to roast coffee beans? You can DO that? Where have I been?

I need details. And I think my coffee life is about to kick up into another gear.

Now THIS I can actually answer with SOME authority...... You have to use the Poppery II hot air popcorn popper, which you can find on any number of auction sites, but I've gotten great results with one for ten years. That being said, I'm not super picky about evenness of roasts or any of that, so I don't have much interest in investing in a "real" roaster. Sites like sweetmarias.com will have more info than I could ever give you, but essentially you just put some green coffee beans in the popper, turn it on, wait until you hear "first crack", and then there is also a "second crack"....which is where I usually take the beans. There are many levels of roast, and depending upon the bean and your particular preferences, experimentation will be your guid. This is literally one of the easiest and most cost effective food-nerd hobbies you can get into. And once you roast your own, that's it for you. So be warned.

Genkinoanna- Point taken....point taken....I wasn't awake yet...a surplus of bacon is always the goal, :laugh: .

**Edited for the fact that this desktop is ancient and spontaneously posts for me before I can type anything, but the chair is comfy....and I wanted to add a picture

Edited by Zeemanb (log)

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Loved the intro. Gonzo food blogging is a wonderful thing. Anxious to follow you this week!

I'm looking forward to the blog, too!

But, for kayb, many folks start roasting coffee in their hot air popper. The only thing to be aware of is that not all hot air poppers work equally well for coffee beans, so do a little research. There are several books you can buy that talk about that method.

But here's an old eGullet thread on this subject:

Roasting my own coffee

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Countless peccadilloes aside, I have to say I AM the model of efficiency in the kitchen, so with the time I bought myself by doing as much for today's meal ahead of time as I could.....I'll give you some more photos:

deck.jpg

We just had our deck redone and decided that we'd plant fewer herbs this year. Due to the slope, drainage, etc. in our backyard we just do all of our herbs in pots....and the last couple of years we planted so many it was ridiculous. Stuck to the basics this time around....

kitchen01.jpg

I'll add another one of these with less of the kitchen in it, in case this one gets squishy when it's compressed....but here's where I keep most of the hardware. I had no idea I had a small kitchen until a friend of mine told me! The wall behind the rack is coming out, probably later this year. We're wanting to open up that space and get some more storage in the process. We live in a split-entry home circa 1973, and it would be nice to have one big kitchen/dining room/living room space upstairs.

kitchen02.jpg

Kitchen05.jpg

There it is from the other angle. Small but we pack a lot in there. And man is it nice to have a new fridge and a GAS STOVE! How did I use electric for so long....

KNIVES!

knives1.jpg

knives2.jpg

I don't know what the best cutlery is, but I know what I like. For precision I love Shun and for butchery or hacking away I love all that German steel. And yes, I do find Rachael Ray's Furi to be a pretty handy and well-weighted little sucker. The huge Bowie knife in the upper left is something I included to be funny....kind of. I'm going to use it as a BBQ slicing/ripping knife once I get a razor edge on it, but my father-in-law actually made that knife for me as a bday gift 2 years ago. Yeah, he's basically the coolest dude in the world....crafts period knives and for a long time did firearms as well. The one he made me is purty, but it's also incredibly balanced and made with this very nice piece of Damascus...

knives3.jpg

As far as our library goes, here's the main stash of books. I love READING cookbooks, but when it's time to cook I just go and print a copy of the recipe off of internet and toss it later. I know, tree killer. We do keep several of those giant three ring binders we have filled with recipes too. They're all in sheet protectors and come from either Bon Appetit or printed off of the web. That is definitely the majority of our go-to recipes we tend to make regularly. Grad school ruined me for ever reading another real book for the rest of my life, but I LOVE buying and reading cookbooks. Right now I'm working on Michel Richard's "Happy in the Kitchen", and "Under Pressure" is on its way....

books1.jpg

books2.jpg

books3.jpg

Okay, I guess I should get started on preparing for today's big meal-

- Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc Fried Chicken

- Local grits with fresh corn and Idiazabal cheese

- Homemade herb and cheese biscuits with bacon jam

- Candied jalapeno cole slaw

- Fresh tomatoes

- Homemade Key Lime Pie

This week will be kind of feast or famine timewise, but my plan for today is to eat a lot of this food, and then after our guest are gone I'll post our dinner from LAST night.

Monday at the fed is pretty slow, so I should have time tomorrow to post all of today's meal and photos.

And of course will enter into the discussion fray whenever possible.

Back to life on the surface of the sun...

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Okay, I guess I should get started on preparing for today's big meal-

- Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc Fried Chicken

- Local grits with fresh corn and Idiazabal cheese

- Homemade herb and cheese biscuits with bacon jam

- Candied jalapeno cole slaw

- Fresh tomatoes

- Homemade Key Lime Pie

This week will be kind of feast or famine timewise, but my plan for today is to eat a lot of this food, and then after our guest are gone I'll post our dinner from LAST night.

Monday at the fed is pretty slow, so I should have time tomorrow to post all of today's meal and photos.

And of course will enter into the discussion fray whenever possible.

Back to life on the surface of the sun...

I think you could just fill the ol' cajun turkey fryer up with Crisco and set it out on the deck today. No need to heat up the kitchen with the immersion circulator!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Quick note- I will start a full write-up in the mornng, but right now I'll just say that the Ad Hoc fried chicken with the pre-cooked sous vide bird is the way to GO! I have a hard time tasting/enjoying my own cooking, but that was some flavorful and juicy chicken. But to Judy's point, even though the AC was cranked and I only had to fry long enough to brown the crust, I am wiped...hot, hot, hot day. We're all hiding out in my basement watching a movie....stuffed full of chicken, grits and key lime pie.

Wonderful Sunday evening programming be damned, later I'll get my Port Fonda dinner from last night written up. Saying that Chef Patrick Ryan runs a taco truck, in MY opinion, is kind of like saying David Chang runs a Panda Express, lol...

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I am entranced and eager for more. Love your food enthusiasm and I take it your wife is a partner in the food area. Cool beans......(elippses over emoticons - though I slip into both constantly)

heidih- Thanks, and YES, absolutely...one of the greatest things about my wife is the "Bonnie and Clyde" aspect we share when it comes to food. And I will also say, she's the REAL cook in the house....I'm a total fraud. I'll come up with some big menu that takes me 2 weeks to plan and gets ooohs and aahhhs, but if were not for her I'd be eating cold soup out of a can on any given evening. She does the actual work and I run my mouth alot....isn't that basically just a concise definition of being a male???

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Dinner in Port Fonda's "El Comedor" on Saturday night...

One of the greatest things about my hometown is that our food community is a food "community". As our evening was winding down last night, I was kind of blown away by the fact that not only did my wife and I get to enjoy what is absolutely one of the best meals happening in KC right now, we got to have that meal right in the midst of some of our greatest chefs and suppliers. At one point in the Airstream, in addition to Chef Patrick Ryan, Dave Crum and Howard Hanna who were hanging out...the other four people in our party were the Fantasma's of Paradise Locker Meat fame. I'm just some dude who likes to eat, so for me it was a big deal...and if you're from here you know what I mean. All fanboy BS aside, the reason some of my personal heroes were all casually assembled is simple....they support each other and love to share their enthusiasm and their success. Again, I'm just some diner, but when you're friendly, emotionally invested in what you are doing, proud of your food and your food is great- I keep coming back, I tip really well, and make sure the people I have personally vetted visit you as well. If you end up moving across town, I start driving across town.

PortFonda03.jpg

ANYWAY- as I mentioned before, Chef Patrick Ryan has created a hell of a lot more than just another taco truck. He spent a lot of time cooking with a lot of great people, and this year he completely rebuilt and customized an Airstream trailer to fit his vision. On paper it's just tacos, tortas, chilaquiles, horchata, nothing really new in this latest food truck craze...in REALITY what he has done is create the kind of spot where local chefs and service folks flock after hours, and where you will find what is arguably one of the hardest tables to book outside of Rao's....

PortFonda01.jpg

(First of all, apologies to Patrick and I guess all other chefs I'll talk about this week...I can either take pictures or write stuff down, I can't do both. It would make me want to die. This week I'm taking pictures, so I'm totally going to blow it as far as ingedient details and such.....BUT I promise to make up for it in enthusiasm.)

PortFonda02.jpg

Port Fonda is a taco trailer. It's open for lunch a few days per week, and late on weekends. Walkup service and they serve great food with as much attention paid to local products as possible. The length they go to in order to support our local producers is admirable. An example what you may purchase on any given evening is a lengua taco like the one I had last night....slow cooked and grilled beef tongue served over Boulevard beer braised Rancho Gordo hominy "creamed corn", topped with salsa verde.

Inside the trailer is a six-person table, "El Comedor", and Patrick books a month in advance...8:30 and 11:30 seatings on Friday and Saturday only. It's not really a reservation "system", it's not really a lottery...I know Patrick puts a lot of thought into the best way to approach it. The fact I've been lucky enough to eat there a couple of times proves he's not catering to hipsters or the wealthy...I know he values those of us who love good food and good times...who take their food, but not themselves, too seriously. Last night was a simple matter of my email hitting his mailbox within the right five seconds. A newsteam had cancelled or something, but I grabbed it with absolutely no idea who would join me. Long story short, after a little panic, and a not so little miscommunication to some friends, my wife and I ended up dining with the aforementioned rockstars of the KC food community. Paradise Locker Meats....you'll be seeing and hearing more about that place later....

The dining format is a four course meal. It is dinner AND a show. Old school hip hop, Grand Ole Opry....good stuff pumping on the stereo. And during the heat of summer, it is warm in there, but they did just upgrade their AC. Heat is ambience, the weak can go eat at Jose Pepper's or On The Border. I hear the spinach queso dip is to die for.

PortFonda04.jpg

Last night the first course was a refreshing little mix of seasonal vegetables, crumbly queso, and my unforgivable lack of memory.

PortFonda05.jpg

Next we got into more advanced alchemy with this spin on chilaquiles. Tortillas, tomatillo based chile sauce, and some of that insanely tender and rich beef tongue. It was so well received Patrick just went ahead and brought us a little dish of it. On top he put a perfectly fried Campo Lindo egg. This was the stuff. It would be my ultimate "wake up late on Sunday" breakfast dish.

Before I deliver the real goods I want to say that I'm a pork guy. Specifically a pork shoulder guy. And I pride myself on acquiring good breeds like Berkshire and properly cooking it on my smoker or roasting it my oven.....rubs, glazes, salt and herb crusts...I love me my pork. Then Patrick Ryan went and did THIS-

PortFonda06.jpg

And he built a halo around it like THIS-

PortFonda07.jpg

Berkshire pork that is dry cured in salt, sugar and chiles for a day, then slow roasted, taken out and caked with brown sugar and chile, and finished at a high temp in order to create what is the pork equivalent of a candy apple. He hands you tongs, fresh tortillas, and you just tear the thing to shreds....fighting each other for the candied skin and trying to decide on condiment combinations.....avocado, pickled red onion, pickled jalapenos, habanero and carrot salsa, a kicked up chile mayo, puree of chipotle and garlic, various salsas and sauces....sucking down horchata, various Mexican and Central American sodas, or BYOB. It is a feast that combines a Bayless-level attention to quality and execution with sense memories of any time you've spent down Mexico way combined with Grandma's house. I think that is about the best I can do to describe it. It is not the worst main course I've ever had.

PortFonda08.jpg

And Patrick knows pastry, so the death blow is ricotta fritters that are infused with the flavors of tres leches and horchata and then they are covered with a tres leches and raspberry sauce.

Not the easiest table to get, but there's nothing pretentious about it. Just great food for people who love to eat and want to enjoy the experience. Like I stated before, I'm not in the industry, I'm in no way connected to any business that gives me pull or popularity. And that works to my advantage in one very distinct way....when I have these types of evenings where I'm chatting with very loveable industry people about why THEY live for food, I get to enjoy it more.

So there you go....more about some of the supporting characters in the days to come....

Edited by Zeemanb (log)

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

"It is not the worst main course I have ever had".......right! That is gorgeous and something I would love to replicate. Also like the "halo" of condiments. Action photos are great. Keep it coming.

Any leftovers from either Port Fonda or the Ad Hoc chicken? Ain't too proud to beg.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher