• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'd like to learn to make macarons

Fat Guy

I'd really like to try my hand at making macarons. As an absolute beginner, what would be a good procedure to follow?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'd be interested in this as well. I tried (for the first time) a couple of weeks back, using the step by step tutorial in a recent edition of "Fine Cooking" written by Joanne Chang (of "Flour Bakery" in Boston, plus she's worked at Payard Patisserie ...).

To say they were a monumental failure is like saying that maybe the Titanic had a bad design. Of course, I tried to do them on a July day when it was over 80° in my kitchen before 9:00 a.m., and I was also making bread and a full dinner for guests. But still, they weren't even close.

But I am *determined* to master them !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

The best resource I found on the net was Duncan Markham's series of articles, La Macaronicité following his so called "more realiable macaron recipe" which is the Italian meringue method with a tweaked ratio, helped me successfully bake macarons on first go, even tough I was a complete and absolute beginner at the time. The articles are very valuable because he describes and illustrates common errors like over-mixing and shows how different baking temperatures affect the process. A brilliant tutorial.

The best resource I found on the net was Duncan Markham's series of articles, La Macaronicité following his so called "more realiable macaron recipe" which is the Italian meringue method with a tweaked ratio, helped me successfully bake macarons on first go, even tough I was a complete and absolute beginner at the time. The articles are very valuable because he describes and illustrates common errors like over-mixing and shows how different baking temperatures affect the process. A brilliant tutorial.

These are indeed a great series of articles with tons of good information.

I'm sure you've read the various macaron threads on Pastry & Baking - the troubleshooting thread should be especially helpful. Low humidity, aged egg whites, fine dry almond flour, knowing how far to mix, baking on a silpat...as long as you get every aspect perfect, they are really simple :laugh:

I made some macarons successfully for the first time about three weeks ago. I used this recipe and method. Her method is pretty well explained, and her pictures are totally inspirational, gorgeous colors and flavors!nnI think I could have folded the batter a couple of more times, there was a slight peak that I had to push down, which made some of the shells less than perfect, but overall they were great. I think the italian meringue method is the way to go, but I think the BEST way to learn is to make them alongside someone who knows what they're doing and can give you pointers step by step. I'm sure there's someone in NY that would do that for you, FG! And perhaps pictures along the way for the rest of us? :laugh:

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I started making macarons earlier this year, using the recipe in Francisco Migoya's Frozen Desserts, and found that, as long as you're not a perfectionist about it, and as long as you're not trying to sell them, it's fairly easy to make halfway decent macarons for home consumption. The biggest mistake I made the first time around was trying to make a full batch, which was clearly not sized for a home oven!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

• 4 months later...