• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

large flower molds

rebgold

Didn't really find anything on their website. I made some chocolate flowers, colored with cocoa butter, that I put on a cake yesterday. I thought it would look really great if I could find large flower molds, like an actual lily or hibiscus size that could be colored and would fill up the top of a cake.

Reb

I find that the best-looking chocolate flowers don't use molds at all, per se: you make each petal individually with a "swoosh" of chocolate on a strip of acetate, usually bent a bit so the petals are curved. There are some really stunning display pieces out there using this technique.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I find that the best-looking chocolate flowers don't use molds at all, per se: you make each petal individually with a "swoosh" of chocolate on a strip of acetate, usually bent a bit so the petals are curved. There are some really stunning display pieces out there using this technique.

I'm with Chris on this. There is no end to the variety of flowers you can make using some acetate.

DSCN1913.jpg

DSCN1994.jpg

DSCN1953.jpg

Those acetate flowers are pretty awesome. I guess I doubt my artistic skills to pull that off, a mold is a safety net, but I'll never know unless I try.

As usual Kerry, if it works, I'll have you to thank!

I've also never tried air brushing. We have one, but no one has ever used it and we only have water based colors for it. I was thinking about trying to use cocoa butter I color myself, like I do with all my molds, but usually I just use a paint brush.

Reb

Those acetate flowers are pretty awesome. I guess I doubt my artistic skills to pull that off, a mold is a safety net, but I'll never know unless I try.

As usual Kerry, if it works, I'll have you to thank!

I've also never tried air brushing. We have one, but no one has ever used it and we only have water based colors for it. I was thinking about trying to use cocoa butter I color myself, like I do with all my molds, but usually I just use a paint brush.

Not me - Chris is the one who thought of it - I just had pictures!