• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shower caps in the kitchen

Fat Guy

Often, when I stay in hotels, there are shower caps offered as part of the toiletry assortment. I suppose there are people who use shower caps for showering, but I use them in the kitchen.

If you were to visit my rice cooker on any given day, you'd find it wearing a shower cap as a dust cover.

P1000131.JPG

Indeed, this is how I protect almost all my countertop appliances from dust.

P1000138.JPG

Please tell me I'm not alone.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Please tell me I'm not alone.

You're not alone -- there's a whole cottage industry!

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Why yes, I use them and have for many, many years.

Back in the '60s and '70s there was a manufacturer in Sun Valley (northeast section of San Fernando Valley) who had a retail "outlet" shop at the factory and one could buy a bag of 100 assorted sizes for $2.00.

Now I order them from this eBay vendor.

Inexpensive and reliably food grade.

The shower caps in hotels often have a chemical odor that I don't like so I carry my own (hypoallergenic) shower cap with me.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've never used shower caps but you can use hair nets as cheesecloths which is pretty amazing. My pasta machine has gotten all dusty so maybe I'll protect it with a shower cap.

I've never knowingly wore or used a shower cap.

This discussion reminds me of the versatility of paper coffee filters. They're perfect for weighing things on the kitchen scale, and in between bowls when moving and storing them.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack