• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Global Knives: razor sharp with the EdgePro?

rotuts

Hope I got the forum correcto and if not the Mods will help out.

based on a few knife-sharp recent threads i just received the EdgePro.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/productsapex.html

I dont work for them. :blink:

Ive had several systems including a fav: makita eletric circular waterstone system I used on my knives but mostly on my chisels in the """Home Workshop """ (wood)

I now have mostly Granton (from England) knives ( to die for ) a few Henckles mighty fine

and 5 Globals ( 20 % off at Bed and Bath)

this Edge-pro as several people have said is the Last system Im getting for my knives.

but there is said that Global has it problems as the steel is so hard. and the burr is difficult to remove.

Id like your thoughts if you have dealt with this,

many cheers!

I am interested in what others have to say as well.

I own a Global pairing knife and had limited success with sharpening on the EdgePro so far. My experience is that the steel is harder to sharpen compared to my others knives (Forschner and Messermeister chef knives), but that might be my technique.

The steel used in Global knives has a reputation for "stickiness," which can make burr-chasing a PITA. I don't think it's particularly hard (compared to other j-knives) and the EdgePro stones should have no problem cutting into it, but if you're comparing to Euro-style knives it's going to take longer to remove a comparable amount of metal.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

The WorkSharp Knife & Tool Sharpener works great, although it can be a little aggressive.

(The WorkSharp 3000 is great for chisels and plane irons, by the way.)

Interesting product! It's too bad that the sharpening angles aren't configurable, and that the smallest angle you can get is a total angle of 40 degrees.

--

I've been using an Edge Pro for maybe 2 years now, and am very pleased with it. Start with whatever grit stone is appropriate for the condition of the blade edge. The recommended method is to do "X" number of passes one one side, then the same on the other. Then do 1/2 X, then 1/4 X, etc, until down to 1 pass. Repeat with ever finer grits to whatever level of polish you like. At that point, just about every burr has fallen off. I check with a magnifying visor. If need be, I strop, but usually just a light pass over a ceramic hone removes the last traces of a burr. I've used this method on all sorts of steel, although I don't know if anything I've worked on was similar to Globals.

As practice, I picked up some completely ruined blades at second hand shops for as little as 10 cents apiece. Some required lots of work, and a few rewarded the effort. I could get all of them to easily slice paper, but some steels were so soft that just a few cuts thru something as soft as a pork loin rolled them over. I did find a few, tho' that had surprisingly good steel, and have been added to my better knives.

I'm sure you will get those Globals in fine shape.

thats a great tip to look in 2d hand shops

i got an email back from EdgePro re Global:

"The Global knives are very easy to sharpen because they are flat and thin. If you are going to do light work with them you can stick with the factory angle of 15 degrees. I like to polish most Japanese knives but it is not absolutely necessary. "

I studied their video for some time :

and the technique outlined in the video and by gdenby

I started out with the 220 grit and ended with the 1000 and used the ceramic stick as outlined.

I only did one knife and it is as sharp as when it was new in my opinion. looked at the edge with a 30x-21 mm loop and its totally smooth at the edge.

no complaints at all!

love it!

Global steel is actually not very hard at all (about 58 HRC), it's just hard to sharpen becuse of its composition. You can get much better knives for the same or less money.

Global steel is actually not very hard at all (about 58 HRC), it's just hard to sharpen becuse of its composition. You can get much better knives for the same or less money.

The biggest challenge when sharpening just about any knife is getting rid of the wire edge, which is basically the remains of the burr ... a very thin, weakly attached bit of fatigued metal that's an artifact of the sharpening process.

If you have a wire edge, the knife can be extremely sharp, but the edge will be fragile. You'll typically find the knife losing much of its performance with the first several minutes of use. This is from the wire breaking away and leaving a poor edge in its place.

The mystery steel global uses is notorious for hanging on to the wire edge. It has a kind of gummy quality that makes burs and wires especially tenacious.

Notes from the underbelly

our best knives become personal favorites for what ever reason.

Im a big fan of true Granton knives from England

http://www.granton-knives.co.uk/ these are a must try!

and I love my globals.

BKYLN: what knives would you suggest? In always BOLO on new finds

its true that after i carefully sharpened my first global with the edgepro it didnt 'stay sharp' very long.

perhaps it was the 'wire' I then passed it very lightly on the ceramic stick supplied with the kit and it was back to 'sharp' and seems to be lasting.

• 2 weeks later...

To suggest knives for you I need to know more about what kind of cooking you do and what your price range is. I work in a 3 star Michelin restaurant and use a high-end carbon steel Japanese chefs knife. I'm guessing your needs might be a little different. ;)

Id study any knife. Id be happy to find ref. to the knives you use. i fallow the show Great British Menu and it has many Stared chefs on it. I love to not only see the knives they use but how they use them. Sat Bains ( alas only One M Star) held a knife for fine work differently than I had now I use his method.

Im a member of each!

id gladly buy something that would fill a gap for me. I was intrigued with your notion of better yet cheaper than global

a 1K knife is just that hope to lean about knives i dont know and do not own.

by Grafton knives from England when properly sharpened are fantastic and very affordable as an instance.

I wonder if anyone here has bought ( a few are available here in the US at high end knife stores but very limited compared with what you may order) and used a true Granton knife? any what they think