• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baa baa beef stew

Blether

For all you mutton lovers - 7-11 is currently doing a "beef stew doria" that tastes good, but turns out to feature lumps of meat that are unmistakably mutton.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

For all you mutton lovers - 7-11 is currently doing a "beef stew doria" that tastes good, but turns out to feature lumps of meat that are unmistakably mutton.

Apologies if I should know the answer to this, but do you mean the chain? I'm asking, because I had no idea they sold anything like actual food, just hot dogs, might-be-chicken on skewers, and depressing pastry. Or is that just in Denmark (I don't think I've been inside one anywhere else)?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Yes, 7-11. And you're mostly right about "actual food", but I do admire their veggie stick salad, with miso, and the frozen prawn "pilaf" at 100yen works well now and again. We don't get hot dogs here, but "might be chicken" appears in several forms.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I've been to 7-11s in Denmark, and the ones in Japan are totally different. In Japan they offer a wide range of prepared foods and some of them are fairly good. You can get different types of grilled fish, grilled chicken, Okinawan-style tofu stir-fry, Chinese dumplings, salads, sushi, various bento combinations and much more. There's good turnover, so the food is always fresh, and everything is clearly time-stamped so you can see how many hours old it is.

Are you kidding me? They make that stuff? The only time(s) I remember eating 7-11, it was past midnight and my options were hot dogs off the rollers or nachos where you could dispense your own nacho 'cheese'. I think some chili product was also involved.

This irritates me. 7-11 is headquartered here. Why is everyone else getting all the good stuff?

Are you kidding me? They make that stuff? The only time(s) I remember eating 7-11, it was past midnight and my options were hot dogs off the rollers or nachos where you could dispense your own nacho 'cheese'. I think some chili product was also involved.

This irritates me. 7-11 is headquartered here. Why is everyone else getting all the good stuff?

Hah. Not everybody is getting nice-ish things at 7-11. I think they gauge what the regional palate will tolerate, and go with that. Evidently, in DK, might-be-chicken must be desiccated, and baked good are preferred stale, even when 'fresh'; I don't know how they manage this, but that's the only way you'll find it. Makes the traditional sausage and beer for elevenses look pretty tasty, by comparison. You can also get Ben & Jerry's ice cream at Danish 7-11s, for a mere USD10 or so per pint.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org