• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

iSi whip espumas and mousses?

jrshaul

Hi, my iSi is 500ml (1/2 liter). I use one NO2 cartridge. Did not strain.

But I think it's got something to do with the temp. It maybe too cold as when I open it up, I need a spoon to scoop out the cream. And it doesn't move when it is shaken.

I was just hoping the iSi can dispense even thick and cold cream. I guess it can't.

Thanks!

Hi, my iSi is 500ml (1/2 liter). I use one NO2 cartridge. Did not strain.

But I think it's got something to do with the temp. It maybe too cold as when I open it up, I need a spoon to scoop out the cream. And it doesn't move when it is shaken.

I was just hoping the iSi can dispense even thick and cold cream. I guess it can't.

Thanks!

Very strange. So you release the pressure and nothing comes out, then open it up and cream that went in liquid has solidified? Does it seem aerated at all, or just dense like sour cream? Why would liquid solidify just by being in the canister? How much fat% in your cream, maybe that is a factor?

Well, Obese-wan, I'm at a loss. You gave an example above of using 1 cup cream in a 500ml dispenser, maybe it works better when full? Things can get weird in there with too many no2 charges, so maybe one charge for only a cup of cream is too much and one charge per two cups would be better?

Well, Obese-wan, I'm at a loss. You gave an example above of using 1 cup cream in a 500ml dispenser, maybe it works better when full? Things can get weird in there with too many no2 charges, so maybe one charge for only a cup of cream is too much and one charge per two cups would be better?

Looking at the instructions on the product page it seems that one needs to fill the canister. I, on the other hand, only fill mine about 1/3! Strange.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looking at the instructions on the product page it seems that one needs to fill the canister. I, on the other hand, only fill mine about 1/3! Strange.

If you use less than the nominal capacity, you have to add more NO2 cartridges to get the same level of pressure.