• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When nut butters separate

Fat Guy

There are a lot of advantages to natural peanut butter -- it tastes better, it's better for you, etc. -- but the big disadvantage is that it separates. In most cases, this just means that when you open a jar that has been on the shelf or in the cabinet you have to stir the contents a bit to re-incorporate the oil. This generally works, with a little effort, at room temperature.

Trouble is, I've just encountered a jar of peanut butter (Yum brand) that has separated so much I can't stir it back together. A tremendous amount of oil/liquid is sitting on top, and the peanut-solids part is so hard it can't be stirred. I've already tried the most obvious approaches: 90 seconds in the microwave, and warming the container in warm water. I transferred the entire contents to a bowl for better access but I can't make a go of it. Before I write off this jar of peanut butter, anybody have a clever solution?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There are a lot of advantages to natural peanut butter -- it tastes better, it's better for you, etc. -- but the big disadvantage is that it separates. In most cases, this just means that when you open a jar that has been on the shelf or in the cabinet you have to stir the contents a bit to re-incorporate the oil. This generally works, with a little effort, at room temperature.

I don't think it tastes better - I like Skippy.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I realize that this may not help given that it's already separated, but I've experimented with stabilizing peanut butter with maltodextrin. It works fine, but it mutes the flavour, which may explain why the stabilized commercial brands have so much added sugar and salt.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Has anybody actually tried the blender/mixer solution in this scenario? I don't mind giving it a go if it is likely to work, but if all it's going to do is whirl around a mass of nut solids in a pool of liquid I'm not eager to go down that path.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Pour the oil into the blender and turn it on low speed

Add the solids gradually until it has been completely blended.

I have to do this routinely with home made macadamia butter which hardens like cement.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The blender strategy worked, and I sort of backed into a method close to Andie's. My one issue with the method is the percentage product loss because it's so hard to get it all out of the blender pitcher.

Use the stick blender. Less lost product.

Or, dump off the oil, get the pnut butter out, roll it into balls, cover in powdered sugar and crushed pnuts and call it candy.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

use up the peanut butter clinging to the blender or processor to make some satay or cold sesame noodle sauce. that should get use of virtually all of it. depending on your estimating skills, you might need to add back more peanut butter to get the proportions right. now you have a sauce to keep in the fridge for a quick meal.

i prefer tahini, which also separates, but i am always using the processor anyway to make tarator sauce or baba ganoush.

Does your peanut butter have added oil?

It claims not to.

use up the peanut butter clinging to the blender or processor to make some satay or cold sesame noodle sauce.

Brilliant. If I ever get into this predicament again I'll do that.