• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosemary's Restaurant closes

Las Vegas Sun story

Rosemary’s Restaurant, a favorite among Las Vegas locals, is closing its doors today after 12 years of service.

A representative for the restaurant didn’t give a reason for the closure but confirmed the restaurant is closed as of today [July 13, 2010 -- Alex]. The restaurant’s website already has been taken down.

What's even sadder is that Ms. Alex is in LV for a conference and had a reservation for tonight (+3 friends). Maybe the rep didn't say anything to the Sun, but the cancellation voice mail message said that they wouldn't be open tonight (nor, apparently, any other night) becaue of the economy.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

In all my years of travelling to Las Vegas I never got to Rosemary's, but I know many locals and they are in mourning for the loss of another non-Strip fine dining restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the husband and wife chef team, the Jordans, fairly well. After living in Las Vegas for 26 years, a founding member of Slow Food Las Vegas, an active participant in the local food producer movement in Las Vegas and creator of the university producer to chef program, I found this loss to be jaw-dropping. This restaurant was THE restaurant, over the last decade plus, to take your wife or sweetheart for Valentine’s or birthday off the strip. The food was spectacular, service was impeccable and truly a night to remember. This is a terrible loss for the Las Vegas dining scene and in particular for locals. On another loss not mentioned here was Nora’s Wine Bar’s closing the same week, probably my favorite place to drop in when chef/owner Giovanni was cooking. Giovanni was also a cofounder of Slow Food Las Vegas and its first president. All I had to do was sit down and ask Giovanni to just cook whatever he thought was good. Not only was the food spectacular and the service great but the food was sequenced in such a way to surprise and delight your senses. I feel like I’m writing an obituary. What a loss!

Robert Morris

Slow Food Las Vegas

• 2 years later...

It's coming back, sort of.

Chef Mike Jordan plans to reopen his much-beloved Rosemary's Restaurant as Rosemary's Café, dubbed "a re-imagined twist on their storied Las Vegas restaurant," within the Las Vegas Shakespeare Company's proposed $45 million renovation of the Reed Whipple Cultural Center in Downtown Las Vegas.

The linked article says 2014, but according to the LVSC's website, it's now projected to be September, 2015.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 3 months later...

The LVSC website now says "2016." However, I suspect Rosemary's Café -- or at least the name -- is very much in doubt, because Michael Jordan is now an Instructor at Seattle Culinary Academy at Seattle Central College. Wendy Jordan is now the Catering Manager at Shorewood Culinary Arts at Shorewood High School, north of Seattle, and an adjunct instructor at Seattle Culinary Academy.