• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Revel Wet and Dry Grinder

Jenni

A few months ago we bought one of thesefrom a local kitchen supplies store. At first it seemed amazing, completely excellent for grinding small quantities of spices.

However, after not many weeks of usage the motor went. Since we had carefully followed usage guidelines (length of time spent grinding, resting period, etc.) we took it back to the shop and they were kind enough to give us a replacement. Sadly, that one broke after not too long as well.

Looking at reviews on amazon, it seems this is a major flaw with the machine. I wish we had looked on amazon before buying! It's such a shame because when it works it does the job very well. Has anyone here actually had a good experience with this grinder or do they all pretty much end up burning out? I know that in our house we were using it daily, but some posters on amazon say it broke the first time!

In the past we have always just used a normal coffee grinder which we set aside for grinding spices. So this £30 machine was a bit of a "treat" for us. I have an ultra pride for big wet pastes, and also an immersion blender which I do sneakily use for wet grinding smallish quantities (even though it doesn't work that well).

I'm moving to India in like, 2 days, so I am probably just going to get myself a Preethi or a Sumeet or some other mixie and I'll be happy with that. But I want to recommend a replacement small wet-grinder for my Mum and Dad in the UK (they will be keeping the ultra pride as it is too heavy for me to take with me, so the grinding capacity only needs to be small). Anyone have any tips? Note: We tried the John Lewis Revel-look-alike and it is rubbish, so not that one!

what about this:

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/food_processors/dlc-2a.html

Ive not had a problem with it but I dont use it a lot. it does have a problem that its so light you have to make sure it doent skip around.

its helpful to understand how to keep the blade razor sharp

please start a thread on what ever grinder gizzmo you get in India!

You didn't find that attempting to grind anything wet would cause liquid to dangerously spill out down towards the motor, or that it would give occasional electric shocks? Count yourself lucky :wink: It's obviously in a different price bracket but Bamix do two small grinding attachments for their blenders, one specifically for wet and dry.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

You didn't find that attempting to grind anything wet would cause liquid to dangerously spill out down towards the motor, or that it would give occasional electric shocks? Count yourself lucky :wink: It's obviously in a different price bracket but Bamix do two small grinding attachments for their blenders, one specifically for wet and dry.

I would second that recommendation. I own a 220 250 W Bamix immersion blender with the Processor attachment and the Powder Disc. The combination is perfect as a spice grinder and easily cleanable. I haven't tried wet stuff like pesto, but it's supposed to work for that as well. However, I'd probably just use the immersion blender for that.

Update: wattage correction

Edited by pep. (log)

No, that is not a problem with this grinder, it is specifically designed for wet and dry. Food processors manage fine, so why wouldn't this?

No, I mean my Revel - the very same model - had those problems. Guess I got a particularly duff one. Or at least a different kind of duff.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

• 1 year later...

I have two revels. They have worked very well - each for a couple years with use about once a week. Neither burned out. However there is a major flaw in that the actuator, the part that starts the motor, is in a groove that is susceptible to liquids coming in from the bowl above. My first one failed because this mechanism became fouled. The second one started giving me shocks! The second one has now failed due to the parts wearing out - the parts that move the blades - sort of the gears. This is mentioned on Amazon and it may be a recent cheapening of the product? I think I'm giving up on them, but really don't know what a good alternative would be. There seems to be a market out there for a higher quality spice grinder - both wet and dry. I bought the Cuisinart SG-10 spice and nut grinder, and it burned out after two uses. It's design is better but it seems to be way underpowered for grinding spices. It burned out on garlic and chiles - probably because I used it for a couple minutes - these units are best used in pulses for only the briefest instances. You can let them cool, and pulse again. This is of course a real pain. I may try to 'fix' the Cuisinart, as it may not be burned out, but a circuit breaker may have failed. However, it is not what I expected it to be... The revel is put together with screws that require a tool that I don't have (maybe not even available), but the Cuisinart has phillips heads. Both of these are quite cheap. There is a 'commercial' Waring model out there - but it seems not to be for wet ingredients at all. I use this half the time to grind wet spice and herb pastes so it would not be a real solution. I have an old bamix and the grinder is not up to the tasks of grinding the items I grind as items become lodged in the blades quite easily - but the motor IS powerful enough not to burn out. It may be that the newer models are better?

I think after looking around I'm going to get an Innomix Surya Mixer Grinder innoconcepts.com - I found it looking at related threads in this forum for nuts (cocoa beans specifically) - it's the same model as the cocoa pregrinder. We shall see... If anyone has one please let me know how you like it. The people using it for cocoa seem to like it. These are the same folks that distribute the ultra wet grinder, which is highly thought of.

• 4 weeks later...

I was shopping at the local K-mart where I get a few items no one else carries here and saw a chopper - Hamilton Beach Coffee Grinder - with removable grinding chamber - 80365. It was quite inexpensive - about 20 bucks. It is not for liquids as the cup is not water-tight. But it has worked for fresh ginger. It works well for all the other spices I've used as well. It operates the same as other types of coffee grinders, but has an automatic turn-off system - and you set the grind type and amount of coffee you want to make. This is moot with spices, but I figure maybe it won't burn out from over-use as easily. Also you don't have to hold down the button - you press and let it go. For a mix of cloves, cinnamon sticks, peppercorns, and coriander seeds, it worked very well - and took only two cycles - each about 30 seconds. I've also ground roasted, cooled spices in one cycle and added garlic, and it ground these together well. This is a nice option for small batches of dry or just slightly moist items. The grinding chamber holds about 3/4 cup at most. It's easy to clean too. I don't expect this one to be really long lasting - but it's cheap! I will likely still look into a much more heavy-duty grinder soon as well - like the Surya Mixer Grinder.