• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

To Walnut Tree or not?

I've reserved one of the cottages at the Walnut Tree Inn (obviously the Shaun Hill one) for my birthday weekend in November. The cottage looks wonderful - really comfy, with lots of breakfast goodies and wine on tap. However, the recent reviews for the restaurant itself on tripadvisor are mixed, both for food and service. So I thought I'd turn to trusted foodies on egullet to see if anyone from here has been in the last few months.

Any advice?

Sarah

Sarah

However, the recent reviews for the restaurant itself on tripadvisor are mixed, both for food and service.

Trip Advisor is not a great source for food reviews - lots of inexperienced diners. I have had great meals at the WT and recent reviews on places like Andy Hayler's blog indicate it is still great. Also good to book in at the Hardwick whilst you are there. Also good but contrast as it is far more rustic.

Sarah

If you can bear with me until the middle of next month, I'll post a review. We're going to the area as an anniversary treat. Dinner there one night, Stephen Terry's Hardwick the next and lunch on the way home at Le Becasse. Diet resumes immediately after.

FWIW, whilst I pay attention to TripAdvisor when booking hotels, I give it no credence for restaurant matters.

John

John Hartley

I would concur re Tripadvisor and pay it scant attention. Not a recent meal but we had a fabulous lunch there a couple of years back but have struggled to find the opportunity to head back to Wales. So Sarah- I would just book and go.

As an aside, I was bloody delighted to hear that former Ludlow residents Shaun Hill, Claude Bosi and Glynn Purnell are setting up a pop up restaurant at this years Food Festival. So it looks like I will get to try Shaun's food again in a couple of months.

Matthew Norman rated it very highly when he went in May.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/restaurants/8538536/The-Walnut-Tree-Llanddewi-Skirrid-Wales-restaurant-review.html

I went in February last year and had a fantastic meal. The service was really friendly too. We stayed in one of the beautiful cottages. Our fridge was laden with smoked salmon and thick ham which was topped up every day. I couldn't eat it quickly enough.

Matthew Norman rated it very highly when he went in May.

This may not be the way to sell this to me.

Every time he comes anywhere near the north west, he pans places I like. To hear there is somewhere he rates highly is a bit of a worry. :rolleyes:

John Hartley

Other than eating, the focus of this trip is to spend a day mooching round the Hay 0n Wye bookshops. Anywhere decent there for lunch? Good pub food would be fine

John Hartley