• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Peter the eater (2011) - More Maritimes

Oh YAY ! Your wonderful food AND your adorable children. There was one shot of the 2 of them in your last blog that is still seared into my memory as one of the best pictures I've ever seen, anywhere, let alone on a foodie forum.

This is gunna be great !

Ohhhh, I'm late to the party. Ive had the pleasure of experiencing both Peter's cooking( yummy lobster rolls) and his cute kids!!( and some vomit, but we wont talk about that......)This is kinda making me nostaglic for the east coast. What are those cookies called that I loved? Oat cakes?

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Lobster rolls are lustworthy - did you butter and toast them or are they in their soft state?

Anxiously await the lobster boil pics- sorry you are having camera woes.

That Stilton mushroom is gorgeous- I fear I would have scalded my mouth due to not being able to let it cool down before I chomped in.

I find it really hard to toast buns that load from the top. There was more than enough butter consumed the night before.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Oh YAY ! Your wonderful food AND your adorable children. There was one shot of the 2 of them in your last blog that is still seared into my memory as one of the best pictures I've ever seen, anywhere, let alone on a foodie forum.

This is gunna be great !

Ohhhh, I'm late to the party. Ive had the pleasure of experiencing both Peter's cooking( yummy lobster rolls) and his cute kids!!( and some vomit, but we wont talk about that......)This is kinda making me nostaglic for the east coast. What are those cookies called that I loved? Oat cakes?

Hi Randi, glad you could make it. Maybe you're thinking about fat archies? Could be oatcakes though -- they are not hard to find.

Moe Sizlack

This photo would make a good Foodblog teaser. Any guesses?

Down here, we'd call that a fish cooker, and it'd do double duty to boil crawfish or shrimp in.

Great blog. I want that Stilton mushroom cap, and a lobster roll, and half a dozen grilled Malpeques, please!

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ok, I'm officially drooling. Peter, I'm super-envious!

Those of you who are American and wondering about Saskatoons - you call them Serviceberries south of the border. They're hands down better than blueberries in pies and sweet pierogies, and they make the best jam ever. Not to mention the wonders of eating them fresh off the bushes. BTW - the city of Saskatoon is named for the berries. I wasn't aware that there were large enough plantations out east for them to appear at market, though!

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

This photo would make a good Foodblog teaser. Any guesses?

Down here, we'd call that a fish cooker, and it'd do double duty to boil crawfish or shrimp in.

Great blog. I want that Stilton mushroom cap, and a lobster roll, and half a dozen grilled Malpeques, please!

It is a nice set up for doing a whack of seafood outside. I guess I'll to make another topic to share my PEI lobster boil photo essay, and step aside for a new eg Foodblogger.

Moe Sizlack

Ok, I'm officially drooling. Peter, I'm super-envious!

Those of you who are American and wondering about Saskatoons - you call them Serviceberries south of the border. They're hands down better than blueberries in pies and sweet pierogies, and they make the best jam ever. Not to mention the wonders of eating them fresh off the bushes. BTW - the city of Saskatoon is named for the berries. I wasn't aware that there were large enough plantations out east for them to appear at market, though!

Fascinating. I wonder how Saskatchewan, Saskatoon's Province, got it's name. Could it be an entire Province got named after a berry?

Moe Sizlack

I finally got the chance to try this interesting food product created on PEI. It's a small hexagonal candy made almost exclusively from honey. Somebody figured out how to make such a thing stable and tasty and packaged it up for distribution. I recall seeing the pitch on Dragon's Den -- a Canadian reality show for entrepreneurs to pitch their clever ideas to investor/judges. They are a pricey but tasty.

img_4555.jpg

Moe Sizlack

Yesterday was National Parks Day in Canada and they were all open for free from coast to coast to coast. We took a walk through Green Gables where Lucy Maude Montgomery set much of her Anne stories more than a hundred years ago. I figured a few images of the Late Victorian kitchen would be an interesting thing to share. Lots of cast iron forms for baking, wooden utensils and contraptions, a pantry full of ceramic jars and glass containers, and a handsome wood stove.

img_4694.jpg

img_4696.jpg

img_4698.jpg

Moe Sizlack

When you cross the Confederation Bridge to New Brunswick there is an excellent Natural History Centre which, among other things, explains the traditional way of harvesting seafood. The text is a bit hard to read but the drawings give a general idea.

Clams, oysters, scallops, lobsters, smelt, mackerel, herring and crab.

img_4738.jpg

img_4739.jpg

img_4740.jpg

img_4741.jpg

img_4742.jpg

img_4743.jpg

img_4744.jpg

img_4745.jpg

Moe Sizlack

This week I can promise you a lot of seafood, extreme cheese, fine port and good whisky.

Seafood, check.

I was hoping for more cheese chat but our wedding guest from Madison forgot to bring his suitcase full of Wisconsin's best. I almost cried. There is a guy in PEI who does award-wining cloth-bound cheddar that is not be missed if you're ever out this way.

Next time I'm in Cape Breton I'll stop by Glenora where they make North America's 1st Single Malt Whisky.

Moe Sizlack

I'm glad to be home after two weeks of cooking and eating on the road. Thank you all for reading and posting -- there should be a little more time for any comments.

Moe Sizlack

I finally got the chance to try this interesting food product created on PEI. It's a small hexagonal candy made almost exclusively from honey. Somebody figured out how to make such a thing stable and tasty and packaged it up for distribution. I recall seeing the pitch on Dragon's Den -- a Canadian reality show for entrepreneurs to pitch their clever ideas to investor/judges. They are a pricey but tasty.

Thanks Peter. Looked Honibe up online and see that I can buy them at our local bulk food store. Will get some this week to try.

They might well make a nice little gift for American friends who are saying...well, what can you bring that's Canadian?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Peter, Saskatchewan comes from the Cree for "swift flowing river" - which is fairly evocative, given the North and South Saskatchewan rivers do flow through it, and that both are pretty fast at that point.

Incidentally "Saskatoon" translated literally simply means "sweet berries."

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Those oysters look absolutely pristine! Just gorgeous. And the lobster rolls sent me over the edge!

I am in awe of you for blogging on the road and working! It's been wonderful and mouthwatering! And the 8 year old in me says 'thank you' for all of the 'Anne' stuff!

Now go relax and have a drink! Well done!

Thanks for a wonderful week, Pete! I've never been east of Toronto and PEI is one of the places in your part of our country I've always wanted to visit. This just makes me want to get out there even more. Thanks for showing it off. ;)