• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Peter the eater (2011) - More Maritimes

Have you tried Lick-a-Chick between the Baddeck and Sydney? If you're still around in August we're happy to buy you lunch.

Now that is a name that only a Mother could love. Lick-a-Chick. It's positively...unnerving is the second word that comes to mind.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This photo would make a good Foodblog teaser. Any guesses?

Looks to me like the beginnings of a lobster boil!

We have a winner! Tonight's the night.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Lick-a-chick.jpg Have you tried Lick-a-Chick between the Baddeck and Sydney? If you're still around in August we're happy to buy you lunch.

I'm a t-shirt owner and facebook friend. Sadly, we won't be back for a few months but I appreciate the kind offer. Another time!

Moe Sizlack

The lobster boil was a raging success. Six pound-and-a-halfers for a smallish crowd and there's nothing left. Photos to follow . . .

Moe Sizlack

Peter, can you tell us a little more about PEI vs Halifax vs the Mainland or whatever you call it of Canada? I know next to nothing about it. I see that most of the labels on the items you have photographed are in French and English. Are there many French speakers outside of Quebec? Are there aboriginal peoples/Inuits or what have you? You spoke of wearing a kilt earlier at the wedding. Are there a great many Scots in NS?

Peter, can you tell us a little more about PEI vs Halifax vs the Mainland or whatever you call it of Canada? I know next to nothing about it. I see that most of the labels on the items you have photographed are in French and English. Are there many French speakers outside of Quebec? Are there aboriginal peoples/Inuits or what have you? You spoke of wearing a kilt earlier at the wedding. Are there a great many Scots in NS?

How long have you got?

There are no more proud Canucks than me but many are more eloquent. In my estimation, Canada's culinary tradition is a product of England, France and those who came before and after.

My Latin may be vulgar but Nova Scotia means New Scotland.

Moe Sizlack

I've got all the time in the world. I knew that Nova Scotia meant New Scotland, so I'm not all bad. And I love hice hockey.

Annabelle, I am grateful for your questions. There are many French speakers outside of Quebec. Prince Edward Island was known earlier as L'Île Saint Jean. Acadian communities on the Island define the music and food heritage.

Come to my kitchen.

Moe Sizlack

OK, now I know: LMM and Anne Shirley went to Dalhousie. I'm rapt, Peter. (What tartan is your kilt?) Are you gonna be anywhere near Dalhousie NB in your travels?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I like to wear the MacIntosh, same as the Nairn, my daughter's second and maternal name. This eGFoodblog I wore the Black Watch, pix to follow.

Moe Sizlack

Ready Aye ready.

Moe Sizlack

The lobster boil was a raging success. Six pound-and-a-halfers for a smallish crowd and there's nothing left. Photos to follow . . .

So are you cheap like my parents were and only buy the culls with one claw? I can't remember if I asked in your Nova Scotia food thread if you use sea water or not. Where do you stand on eating the various slimy bits?

Great blog. Thanks.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I like to wear the MacIntosh, same as the Nairn, my daughter's second and maternal name. This eGFoodblog I wore the Black Watch, pix to follow.

I don't think there is a nicer tartan than the Nova Scotia Provincial one, though. My NS tartan tie is almost enough to make the choking feeling bearable.

Does PEI bluefin tuna still contain a lot of mercury? Do they still ship it to Japan for sushi?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

OK, now I know: LMM and Anne Shirley went to Dalhousie. I'm rapt, Peter. (What tartan is your kilt?) Are you gonna be anywhere near Dalhousie NB in your travels?

Just came from Green Gables. LMM attended a college in PEI, not Dalhousie U in Halifax, she was working for a publishing company in NS. Not going to NB this trip, although that would be an excellent Province for an eG Foodblog.

Moe Sizlack

So are you cheap like my parents were and only buy the culls with one claw? I can't remember if I asked in your Nova Scotia food thread if you use sea water or not. Where do you stand on eating the various slimy bits?

Great blog. Thanks.

I used a few inches of tap water in the bottom of a big pot with a few scoops of sea salt. There will be photos and and explation soon, when I get my camera working again.

I cherish the slimy bits. Green tomalley and the crumbly pink stuff -- it's all good. Like most, the tail is my overall favorite part.

Moe Sizlack

I don't think there is a nicer tartan than the Nova Scotia Provincial one, though. My NS tartan tie is almost enough to make the choking feeling bearable.

Does PEI bluefin tuna still contain a lot of mercury? Do they still ship it to Japan for sushi?

I saw some bluefin boats the other day but there was nobody around for a Q&A. As you can see in the "tuna wall" photo upthread the industry is thriving. A single fish can means tens of thousands of dollars to the catcher.

Moe Sizlack

While my comprehensive photoshoot from last night's lobster boil is unavailable, I can jump ahead to the lobster rolls we had for lunch today. Nice and simple. Mayo, a scallion, fresh white top-loading hotdog buns, and plenty of meat.

IMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4557.JPG

IMG_4559.JPG

Moe Sizlack

My sister went to camp in NS when she was younger and I have fond memories of our trip out there to tour and visit her.

Great blog so far Pete!

Do you remember where it was or what you ate?

Moe Sizlack

And for tonight's dinner we got into the oysters. This a 2 pound bag of Malpeques which is the name of the bay just down the road. Apparently they can last for weeks in your fridge if you store them right.

We enjoyed a few of them raw and some with a splash of the hot sauce on hand. The rest went on the upper deck of the barbecue until they were nice and dry and slightly ajar.

I suppose fresh, raw and unadulterated is the best way to enjoy these wierd little creatures. The barbecue method is good because they open themselves and they taste great warmed through. The downside is that you lose a lot of the delicious juices aka liquor.

IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4654.JPG

Moe Sizlack

I promised extreme cheese. I don't think I could handle that Mediteranean cheese with the insect larvae (name escapes me) but I can share with you . . . drum roll please . . . the Stilton mushroom cap:

<edit because there's apparently no spell check on this computer>

IMG_4648.JPG

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Moe Sizlack

Along with the oysters we grilled some local boneless pork loins and an assortment of vegetables. I'm prepared to call it Surf'n'turf.

IMG_4659.JPG

IMG_4665.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

Moe Sizlack

Lobster rolls are lustworthy - did you butter and toast them or are they in their soft state?

Anxiously await the lobster boil pics- sorry you are having camera woes.

That Stilton mushroom is gorgeous- I fear I would have scalded my mouth due to not being able to let it cool down before I chomped in.