• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Peter the eater (2011) - More Maritimes

Good morning!

I'm pleased and a bit surprised that nobody identified me as the next Foodblogger. The teaser photos are of Highland cattle and a plate of seafood with lupins. The cattle are in the back field here on the farm in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada. The chowder and flowers are from my home outside Halifax.

It's been more than four years since I put together my 1st eG Foodblog. This time I'm on the road and away from my own kitchen. We've just finished catering a wedding here so there will tons of photos in the very near future. Tonight I'm going to Cavendish, Prince Edward Island for the week.

The Foodblogs of late have been quite excellent and I've got some hard acts to follow. This week I can promise you a lot of seafood, extreme cheese, fine port and good whisky.

The topic description reads "More Maritimes" which refers to the three eastern provinces New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI. If you throw in Newfoundland & Labrador, you get "Atlantic Canada".

Time to pack!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Tonight I'm going to Cavendish, Prince Edward Island for the week.

Ooohhhh, love PEI! Will there be Malpeque oysters? Island-made potato vodka? I know there will be lobster! :laugh:

Such lovely beaches in that area. I was in Atlantic Canada for a couple of months last Summer/Fall. A month of that was on PEI (in Cumberland, just south of Charlottetown) but I wish it could have been longer.

will be following very, very closely. we are hoping to actually do our long longed for maritime trip next summer and will be taking notes. are there any places you feel that are not miss ones in PEI, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland?

are there any artisians - cheese, fish, etc that are must check out?

merci in advance

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Are you not about a week late for PEI?

Darienne, are you referring to the Royal Visit with Kate and Wills? Not to worry, there's a ton of good foody stuff going on this week and I think there's a U2 concert tomorrow.

Chris and Shelby, I look forward to your questions.

Do your kids still eat pickled herring and blue cheese??

Yes they do FrogPrincesse.

Moe Sizlack

Island-made potato vodka?

There are bootleggers around. If I find some at the liquor store then yes, FauxPas. Oysters for sure.

are there any artisians - cheese, fish, etc that are must check out?

There are so many around I can hardly keep track. This place has embraced and promoted gastro-tourism in a big way. Stay tuned suzilightning.

Moe Sizlack

Oh YAY ! Your wonderful food AND your adorable children. There was one shot of the 2 of them in your last blog that is still seared into my memory as one of the best pictures I've ever seen, anywhere, let alone on a foodie forum.

This is gunna be great !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Did I mention a wedding?

There were more than a hundred guests this time and, all things considered, I think the food worked out fine. Normally I get the tasks involving fire and protein but this time I was also allowed to make the topper on the groom's cake. The couple live out west -- she's a photographer and he's a musician, and they have a cat. That was the concept. I used a combo of fondant and gum paste powder with royal meringue icing, and much of the color was painted on after the shapes hardened up. Can you tell I'm a fan of Wallace & Gromit?

054.JPG

006.JPG

096.JPG

Moe Sizlack

Maybe this one shows the drumsticks. Despite watching an unhealthy amount of Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes I did not realize the importance of temperature and humidity. I am so looking forward to my next project . . . I may have to get an airbrush.

116.JPG

Moe Sizlack

This wedding was all outside under the bigtop and afterward in the barn. Very country casual. Lots of folks helping out and lots of rain and then mud. My kilt looked like it had been through a Belgian trench from a century ago.

There were some allergies so the main meats were beef and ham, served as a cold buffet. I'm not sure where the hams came from but they were sweet, moist and popular. They came cut spirally like one of those apple lathes with the crank.

Beefeater roasts cooked medium rare and cut on the slicer.

052.JPG

064.JPG

068.JPG

075.JPG

111.JPG

Moe Sizlack

And this is how we watch the Home Run Derby in the Maritimes.

346.JPG

Moe Sizlack

Oh YAY ! Your wonderful food AND your adorable children.

Thanks Roberta -- they turned 6 yesterday. Where does the time go? Where did my cake photos go?

320.JPG

Moe Sizlack

I've been seafood focused lately, good timing!

Me too, ScottyBoy. I didn't grow up by the sea but I live there now and I am reminded often how closely we-all are connected to the oceans.

Moe Sizlack

More wedding dish close-ups. Mixed green salad with my homegrown radishes and spinach. Hummus with feta and peppers and yogurt on top, plus a big bowl of chopped chives that got used here and there.

057.JPG

059.JPG

061.JPG

Moe Sizlack

That cake topper must have taken a LONG time to make in such detail!

Your lawn looks so lush and green. Here in Kansas--on what seems like day 53 of 107 degree temps--everything is burnt and brown. My dry land corn crop will be chopped up for silage. :(

Great pictures! The one of the hummus with feta and peppers and yogurt on top is really nice.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

I have to ask what that is on top of the tower of ham - it looks like egg to me?! Those are some incredible meat platters. Was it all hoovered up? Looking forward to seeing the rest of the wedding spread.

In general, of course, as much beautiful seafood as possible would also be much appreciated.