• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trout Poached in Vermouth

Porthos

My F-L-L asked about me preparing some trout poached in vermouth while we vacation next month. I've never poached trout (I always BBQ trout) let alone with vermouth. I could really use some collective eGullet insight and experience here.

I do own a fish poacher which I use for salmon so poached fish itself is not a mystery to me.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Usually a fish is poached in a Fume made from vegetables and sometimes fish bones if you have them and they are not from an oily fish. A little white wine can be added along with herbs.

I have not known of anyone poaching a whole fish in unadulterated Vermouth and I don't think it will be particularly palatable.-Dick

I don't see why it would be bad. After all, vermouth is simply wine with aromatics added. iirc, Julia Child recommended white vermouth instead of white wine in many instances.

Just make sure you use a dry white vermouth of quality such as Noilly Prat or Dolin. I'd probably add some vegetables to the poaching medium as well.

--

I looked in DeGuoy's The Gold Book (inspired by an earlier post about this good old book) -- he doesn't give a recipe using vermouth, but there are numerous recipes for trout or sole poached in various wines, including sauternes, dry white wine, and red wine. All of these he mixes 50-50 with either fish stock or court bouillon. I don't see why vermouth wouldn't work, as well, but I'd get a dry vermouth not a sweet one.

Google also yields s a number of recipes, including Saveur's sole poached with vermouth http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Poached-Sole-with-Vermouth.

The original Post did not specify that the Vermouth would be diluted.

I'll stand by my assertion that poaching in Vermouth will not be particularly palatable.

Now if highly diluted maybe but even a 50/50 mix of wine to water is too much.

I have poached a lot of fish in my life and I always use about a 15% white dry wine mixture.-Dick

I haven't poached trout, but I've often poached tilapia and other fish in Vermouth. When I want a simple/quick fish, I chop shallots and mushrooms and saute. When those are softened, I push them to the sides of the pan and brown the fish on both sides (usually I rub some herbs on the fish first). Then I pour in dry vermouth and poach until done, by which time the vermouth has usually reduced to a light sauce. I like it and others have liked it, too.

M. Thomas

I'll probably punt and go with white wine. I have more confidence in that.

Thank you all who have answered and helped me think about this.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I'll probably punt and go with white wine. I have more confidence in that.

Thank you all who have answered and helped me think about this.

I wouldn't. Use dry vermouth, and dilute it with water or court bouillon or appropriate stock. Of course, I wouldn't use white wine straight either. I have found that I tend to prefer using dry vermouth over dry white wine in many cooking applications. Dry vermouth is especially good for steaming mussels.

I haven't poached trout, but I've often poached tilapia and other fish in Vermouth. When I want a simple/quick fish, I chop shallots and mushrooms and saute. When those are softened, I push them to the sides of the pan and brown the fish on both sides (usually I rub some herbs on the fish first). Then I pour in dry vermouth and poach until done, by which time the vermouth has usually reduced to a light sauce. I like it and others have liked it, too.

I don't believe your technique qualifies as poaching.

EOT for me!-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)