• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

US summer fruit season 2011

Fat Guy

We eat a lot of watermelon and have noticed that the watermelons this year are, in general, not up to snuff. I was thinking we could compere notes on which fruits are good this summer.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I agree about the watermelons this year; I haven't had a good one yet.

Cherries have been ok; not great so far. I am hoping that the local peaches later this summer will be terrific (I love peaches, my husband is a nectarine freak.)

In general, nothing memorable so far.

I had some amazing strawberries last week- small, deep red and intensely flavoured. They looked like Tristars to me, were picked by a friend on the North Shore of Long Island who had no idea. Cherry season was meh, and the one watermelon I have had so far, pale and just awful.

One of the best peach seasons in years here in Georgia. Strawberries weren't all that. Blueberries have been alright, not as good as last year imo. Got my first local watermelon today, but its still on the counter uncut.

There's a lot of regional variability. Maybe the commercial West Coast cherries have been blah, but I've had excellent sweet and pie cherries from one Lower Susquehanna orchardist who sells at Phila. Farmers markets.

In reporting on this topic, please remember to state the geographic source of the fruit. Otherwise it isn't too helpful.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I have to agree with the peaches. Picked some up at the farmers market for a boating trip, they were the best things I have ever had. The blueberries I have had so far were good too.

ETA: Peaches were from GA, the Blueberries were from OH.

Edited by Boilerfood (log)

I've had 2 melons so far, both West Coast. One a cantaloupe and one a "Canary" and they were both superb. Two of the best melons I've had in manys a year. Flavorful, juicy and fragrent. Everything you want in a melon.

SoCal strawberries have been meh. I got one good batch, the rest have been very cottony and disappointing. I haven't bought as many as usual, because when I give them the *SNIFFFFF* test, they don't smell like strawberries, so I skip on by. But then, I also haven't sought them out anywhere but the MegaMarts.

I did get some great local blackberries about a month ago. They were amazing. Firm, juicy and very flavorful. I didn't discard one berry out of the tray. I haven't yet seen blueberries at a price I want to pay.

I got 2 white nectarines and 2 peaches a couple of weeks ago, they were local, and they were great. Especially considering they're early ones. I'm on the hunt for more of both.

Cherries have been hit & miss. The first batch of Bings I got, about 4 weeks ago, I cordialed in vodka and corn syrup. They won't be ready until November or so. I did eat a few of the leftovers, and they were....ok. I got a small batch of Raniers a couple of weeks ago, and they were good, better than OK, but not stellar, but the price was right. I just bought some more Bings (from Washington state), they look nice, we'll see how they taste.

Early figs are VERY tasty...and I was quite surprised to see them in early July. Usually they don't start cropping up until August. But these have been nice and sweet, albeit a bit firm, and I've certainly been enjoying them. Also local, label says "California".

I can't add to the watermelon quality comments, because in general, I don't "do" watermelons...even the "personal" size ones are too much watermelon for me, and I just don't love watermelon all that much. I'd rather have the other melons, honeydew, casaba, canary, cantaloupe, Galia, those guys.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"