• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BREAD- is anyone

stefanyb

I was bar mitzvah'd not confirmed. But I like to be affirmed.

I will attempt to bake two French-style baguettes. Nothing fancy. I will also bring herring filets in cream sauce from Murray's and some white wine.

Mrs. Jaybee may or may not join me. I may or may not join me.

Well now I'm thinking of kouign amann (breton butter cake) that Margaret Pilgrim posted about a while ago. The picture in Saveur is certainly luscious looking, but it says it should be served still warm, and that probably would be a problem.

WILL EVERYONE PLEASE RECONFIRM THEIR ATTENDANCE AND STATE EXACTLY WHAT THEY'RE BRINGING :biggrin:

I'll be doing this a few times

Once again reconfirming my attendance +1;

we're bringing the bread and smoked seafood to go with this particular bread and Sam Smith oatmeal stout to match all of the above.

I'm feeling horribly guilty but I too am going to have to apologize for not sending something as promised. I'd have to send it today (Friday) so the product would be two days old and I am just too vain to send something that would not be at its best. I doubt you all will leave hungry so I guess there is no need to feel TOO guilty!

Have a great party...I'm looking forward to the photo album! And I sure hope you all get a break in the cold weather soon. I won't tell you what the temperature is here in southern California right now :cool:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Given kitwilliams' inability to attend, can I bring a friend -- please?  :blink:  If that is acceptable, I'll bring some other item on that friend's behalf -- I'm not sure what, at this point.  :smile:

As I understood it, kitwilliams was never planning on attending. Kitwilliams was going to mail bread. Given that kitwilliams is not mailing bread, it might be appropriate for you to mail a friend. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Okay- we are full-up and more.

Everyone, don't forget to bring a bottle of wine or a bottle of anything else you would prefer to drink.

Also, bring your items in serving condition. Do not plan to plate or warm up or anything else to your offerings.

Serving tools would be good too as well as a bread knife if necessary.

Cutting boards would come in handy.

Plan to take home any unfinished food you have brought.

See ya manana!

LIVE BULLETIN FROM THE BREAD EVENT!!

Stefanyb: Live from the Bread Bowl. Kickoff was 3:00 and we are now still eating and schmoozing about the incredible display of breads that were presented.

Jaybee:We've cast our bread upon the essers and the food gods are pleased.

Toby: Saint Sandra Levine of Prosciutto Bread.

Nina: Toby's "monkey bread" ain't no monkey business.

ranitidine: You rulers and bosses have to understand--you have created a community, not just a food website for your colleagues in the business. Now you have to learn to deal with it. You are a bunch of intelligent capitalists. Figure out how to make money from it.

Sandra Levine: Poilane, look to your laurels; Robert Schonfeld is here.

SA: :blink::blink:

yvonne: what a bunch of losers

cabrales: The proscuitto bread was particularly good. I enjoyed jordyn's champagne. Toby's pork belly rillettes were nicely pepperly.

robert nesta marley: ditto on the proscuitto bread, probably because anything!

with pork in it tastes grand to me! ohhhhh, and nina's babka!

CathyL: Schonfeld's bread is better than Poilane's. Ste. Sandra of Proscuitto Bread, oh yes.

Ha. I knew Robert's bread would be unparalleled.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The bread table was a sight to behold. I hope the photos I took on Yvonne and Glynn's camera come out and get posted. Stefany, this was an inspired idea that resulted in a splendid party. The best bunch of people I've been in a room with since my honeymoon. :biggrin: (Even if someone did spill red wine all over the back of my new white sweater).

Cathy, your house is elegant. Thanks so much for being hostess and making a memorable day possible.

thank you Cathy for being such a wonderful hostess to a bunch of lively and

at times unruly types. Some thoughts about the breads and such. Firstly I experienced a sense of awe gazing at the table, hopefully you will all see what

was on it. It was certainly a sight to behold. We really do like to bake it's not all talk on this site..

The most gracious and charming CathyL hosted a gregarious group of bakers for an afternoon of cameraderie and carbohydrates. Sausages, butters, rillettes and chutney, as well as a fine epoisses were all available to accompany an impressive display of baking talent. I hope the pictures will show the diversity of yeasty goodies, both savory and sweet. Outstanding among the items brought by non-bakers was a truly extraordinary mushroom dish from Ed Schoenfeld. The beautiful breads were too numerous to mention, but perhaps most beautiful was steafnyb's magnificent challah, triple braided and shined with wash. All I could think was, "French toast tomorrow..."

Mazal and I greatly enjoyed meeting so many lovely people, bread lovers and egulleteers all.

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

For Toby and others who asked for a link to the recipe for the prosciutto bread, here it is.

What a great party. :rolleyes: Once again, thank you, Stefany, for coming up with the idea and taking care of coordinating and to CathyL for being such a gracious host. I hadn't baked bread in more than 10 years, but now that I have my brand-new baking stone (bought for the occasion) I am eager to use it again. All the breads were delicious as well as beautiful. I would be hard-pressed to pick a favorite.

A few words about the prosciutto bread: The bakery that had made this specialty went out of business a few years ago, leaving bereft many people who loved the bread. The bread made from the posted recipe is a very close facsimile of the original. If you look at the link, you will see that the measurements are given in both volume and weight. I used the volume measurements (which I noted did not really conform to the weight measurements.)

I am very happy that I could provide a venue for this wonderful event. Like Sandra, I was inspired to bake again after a 10-year hiatus, and I'm glad I did. This is one of the reasons I love eGullet.

Thanks to everyone who attended, for the glorious food and drink you brought, and for the unmatched company.

Special thanks to those who cleaned up. You know who you are, and you know that I love you. :wub: