• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BREAD- is anyone

stefanyb

As much as it would be a real hoot to all bake together, I don't think that would be feasible but if we had the event in the later half of a day everyone could grab their baby from the oven and come a runnin'.

Of course we'd have cheese and butter (we could even have a butter comparison ) and wine etc.

I wouldn't expect Simon to attend because, after all, carbs=death, but I might actually like to die at a bread bake-off :laugh:

You definitely don't want to make it a competitive event if Schonfeld is involved. It will be over before it starts. The only interesting competition I can think of in New York City at that level is Schonfeld vs. Coumont. But I'm all for the event and I plan to attend without contributing so much as a cracker.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'd be interested in attending (obviously not as a participant in the bakeoff, nor as a judge, given my inexperience in evaluating bread). Perhaps I could be a non-judging eater at the event.

On bread, Veyrat's Ferme de Mon Pere has a separate little hut (on the right hand side as one drives into the compound, before a building with the rooms) where bread is made. I noticed some recipes taped or otherwise attached to the wall and should have copied them down (including for Veyrat's version of a Poilane bread, which I found a bit interesting). :hmmm:

Edited by cabrales (log)

Any kind of bread at all?

I think we should restrict it to yeast bread (which includes sourdough). Thus, bagels would be included but crackers and biscuits would not.

Of course, I only suggested this event and anyone can have an opinion as to what it may consist of.

Schonfeld is coming! Yippee. :biggrin:

When is this event? If it's in very early January, I could hand-carry some salted butter from Jean-Yves Bordier of Saint-Malo back to NY. He was named cremier of the year by this year's Champerade (spelling). He supplies butter to at least three of the Paris three-stars, Roellinger, Le Cinq, Frechon at the Bristol, and La Regelade. :blink:

I was waiting to see how Robert S would further contribute to this thread given Steve's acknowledgement of his well known suzerainity in this field. He does so by suggesting JD and others take part.

This sounds like fun.

edit: Robert's so dreamy. :wub:

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Please let me know the date of the event -- I do get to New York now and then. In any event, happy to send an offering from London. I am a complete amateur when it comes to baking, though I love to do it.

Perhaps we can persuade Jinmyo to send some bread from the frozen north.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."