• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary career options aside from cooking

I don't want to be in a kitchen. I am much more of a creative person, and as such, would love to end up in a place where all we do is play with food, and stumble upon new concepts and ideas. I love using my brain to solve problems, and I am very research oriented. For that reason, I am reaching out to you guys and girls, for ideas on what I can do that is creative, and still able to make a mark in the world of culinary. I am a personal Chef, and I love doing that, but I just cant see enough business coming out of that to make a living. My ultimate goal of course would be to get into something like Heston Blumenthals test kitchen, but that seems like a TOTALLY unreasonable goal at this stage of my career.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :D

Alex

To be a development chef or something similar your best bet would be to go through professional kitchens as normal, make your mark and move from there. One of my housemates is a development chef for a 2 Michelin star chef here and that was his route and the route of others I know too. Difficult otherwise to show you have the talent and skill to create in a way that's useful in a professional kitchen.