• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The State of Upstate New York State 2011

coughy

Definitely visit Dano's on Seneca Lake. The food is fantastic and the uniquely designed building facing the lake is impressive. Dano's food is Viennese inspired and includes local Finger Lakes wines and produce. Check their web site when you go, as sometimes they are closed for weddings and events.

http://www.danosonseneca.com/index.html

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Beautiful area. We go through a lot but usually go low end. Skaneateles is a favorite stop and a gorgeous, charming town -- Doug's Fish Fry is a super popular casual fish 'n' chips joint with good local beer and delish ice cream. There are a couple of "good" restaurants in town, but we've never tried them.

For real local color in the bigger towns, there's the local chain of steak restaurants -- Delmonicos http://www.delmonicositaliansteakhouse.com/. They have a specialty known as "chicken riggies" (chicken with rigatoni, artichoke hearts, peppers and a cream sauce) that is known only in that part of upstate, which pleases the culinary historian in me. Tastes good, too, and the steaks are impeccable and huge. Very old-fashioned place, hostesses wear "Eye-talian Moll" outfits and there's Frank Sinatra music, red vinyl booths and big servings -- no sous vide there!

Friends have said that some of the newer wineries in the Finger Lakes are really worth touring, but we've never done that.

If you can find a place that sells the local aged cheddar, get it -- really good. 3 and 4 years old.

If you go to Niagara, try to get to Niagara-on-the-Lake in Canada (but be sure to make reservations). Absolutely gorgeous place and we have toured some of the wineries there with happy results. There's a farm market on the main road in to town that has fantastic local produce, salumi, cheese, etc. There are two, actually, but the one on the west side of the road that's close to town is a tourist trap with not-so-great stuff and high prices, whereas the one on the east side of the road that's a bit farther out of town is the real deal. Niagara-on-the-Lake has lots of VERY high end restaurants... that we have never been to :).

Have fun. Truly one of the prettiest areas in North America. A shame most New Yorkers don't bother to go there anymore.

I've just got to jump in to say that I personally don't consider Dano's a must-visit at all. Austrian food isn't my thing, and despite the general quality of the food, that wasn't enough to make me want to eat there again...

In terms of recommendations, I have friends (whose food opinions I really trust), who said that the brunch at Simply Red Bistro just outside of Ithaca is the best they've had in a long time...

I've just got to jump in to say that I personally don't consider Dano's a must-visit at all. Austrian food isn't my thing, and despite the general quality of the food, that wasn't enough to make me want to eat there again...

yes, if you do not like Viennese food, you will not like Dano's. But if you haven't tried it, you should. Wonderful spreads, salads. I haven't been for a few years but found the "Bento" box funny and tasty. If it wasn't four hours from Philly I'd be a regular.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I'm going to put in a recommendation for Dano's, and say that I don't quite understand Emily R's comment - "Austrian food isn't my thing."

There's a pretty diverse menu there, offering small, light cold salads, cheesey spreads, roasted chicken, traditional sausages, house-made charcuterie, hearty goulashes, simply poached fish, a killer roasted eggplant dish, burgers, etc. It's not as if there's one kind of food to eat there, it's not all sausages and schnitzels.

http://www.danosonseneca.com/menu.php

Part of the point of the Heuriger concept is that it's flexible: one can just have a light snack, or a heavy meal or something in between.

Of course it's perfectly valid for any given person to not enjoy the place, that's fine, maybe the several styles of food on offer there won't excite you either. But I'll just add that I've been there a few times with people with widely-varying tastes and preferences and we've always been able to find something appropriate. Like Bob above, I live several hours from there, but whenever I find myself nearby, I make a point to stop.

I've been too obsessed with Dano's to explore many other places in that immediate area, but just down the road, is the Stonecat Cafe. I can't give a personal review, but I've heard good things, and it certainly looks interesting.

http://www.stonecatcafe.com/Site/Menus.html

Over in the town of Canandaigua, there's a very nice little traditional German restaurant called Rheinblick. If I were going to pick one, I'd chose Dano's, but they're not doing quite the same thing: Rheinblick is definitely more in the old-fashioned German food zone. But if you like that kind of thing, or just want to get a beer and a sausage, or a huge Schweinshaxe with the bone sticking out of it, it's a nice casual little place.

I feel like traditional German food is hard to find in many parts of the country, so it's nice to see that there are a few spots left.

There are lots of charming little cafes attached to wineries in the Finger Lakes, and I'm sure you can get a perfectly pleasant meal at many of them, but I can't say that I've had any that were outstanding, beyond the inherent appeal of sitting on a deck, overlooking a lake, drinking some wine...

I'm not sure where you're starting from, but there's not a whole lot of especially exciting food around Corning, or between there and Niagara Falls. When near Buffalo, you can probably skip the wings at the Anchor bar, but you really should get a Beef on Weck sandwich, preferably from Schwabl's.

If you're passing through Rochester, there's a topic about it here>> that has some recent postings (including, of course, German food!!)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Carmelo's in Lewiston, NY isn't too far from Niagara Falls, USA. I second Schwabl's, also around these parts we just call them wings, maybe "hot" wings. The New York Wine and Culinary Center is always getting press, especially for the foodie camps the CIA runs. I would check that out for sure. I like Dano's but could understand how it wouldn't blow anyone's socks off. It's a lower key that what he was doing before in Ithaca, or so I have heard, but it's fresh and good eats. I lived out in the Corning area 10 years ago, and I don't know anyplace that's a must, but I'm sure there must be now. The Central in Painted Post used to do a good business though, and Sit n' Bull across the way as well, but that's a bar. The best meals I had were at the now defunct veggie place on Market St., Melissa's or something like that. Lots of traps, I would avoid it all if given the chance. I'm not sure about Ithaca excepting, of course, the farmer's market and all it's vendors. I know the East Shore Cafe in Lansing is solid though, and, on the other side of the lake, Trumansburg looks like it was coming along nicely a couple years ago. I liked that place Rosalie's in Skaneateles, and the Mirabeau Spa next door is supposedly decent. If you are going to be anywhere near the southwestern part of the state on the 13th of August, check this out, plus they could use the support Corn Moon Dinner.

Edited by coquus (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your helpful info. We finally decided where we are going. Leaving from Northern NJ and staying in Canandaigua

. From there to Niagara Falls. On our way back home we will be staying in Corning/Ithaca.

Keep those restaurant/ sightseeing suggestions coming.

Thanks again.

Just hearing of a few places that might be of interest. Apparently Corning has some cash only spot upstairs somewhere that is really awesome Japanese I think ? The spot where the Willows was in Fall Creek in Ithaca has a new place that sounds great. I don't recall the name off hand.

Coquus -- the place you're thinking of in Ithaca is called the Northstar Pub (or Northstar House?) -- http://www.northstarpub.com/web/Welcome_to_Northstar.html.

It is quite good, but very casual. People rave about their mac and cheeses du jour, but I am a slave to their veggie burger. Which sounds ridiculous, because - how good can a veggie burger be? So good that I don't order anything else there.

It's a little unconventional but there's a place called I think ithaca tea house where you can have a simple kaiseki ryori with a certified master of tea.

A local pig farm called the piggery opened up a small deli near the ithaca farmers market. Their breakfast burritos are damn good. Otherwise the three best restaurants in the area are the heights cafe, just a taste, and hazlenut kitchen in trumansburg. I would not order cocktails anywhere except from madelines, mercato, and heights cafe. Sarah's pattisserie makes some decent pastries. Cayuga creamy is the better of the three icecream places. Gimme coffees featured coffees made by pourovers are damn good and their roastery? Is nearby possible open for visiting. Ithaca brewery just released a renown roughly Belgian saison style sour golden ale called brute that's pretty good and might already be out.

Red newt and Herman j wiemer are consistent hitters out of all the wineries. Red newts lahoma vineyard is pretty good.

If you want a nice relaxed picnic grab some cheese, cured meats, bread, fruits from wegmans, get a bottle of wine from northside almost across the street and head to Robert Truman state park on a sunny day. Take a hike. Chill. Throw some frisbees or football.

Two really good brunch joints are carriage house and the dewitt mall cafe.

Dougs fish fry in cortland is excellent if its on the way

Edited by indesertum (log)