• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk chocolate bubble trouble

Edward J

Got myself a head scratcher.

Making solid milk 50 gr (2 oz) chocolate bars, but am plauged with bubbles on the back. It's a fairly fluid couverture, 34% cocoa butter, 38% cocoa solids. I fill the mold, vibrate for about 45 seconds, lay a sheet of plastic over the back and scrape smooth.

At first, it looks great, but after a few minutes bubbles appear under the plastic, and when it hardens, these appear as large blisters.

I do the same with a 70% dark with no troubles. I do the same with the same milk couverture and chopped nuts with no troubles.

Any suggestions?

At the risk of being shot down in flames :smile: could all of the vibrating be causing the bubbles given the fluidity of the chocolate? Maybe just try a couple of test moulds and bang them on your bench. If the problem disappears, you could try vibrating for 10-15 seconds instead of 45. Just a thought, no basis for it.

OK, I'm a pure amateur here and please feel free to ignore what I am about to say, but I know from having worked with silicone, that to get rid of all air bubbles (assuming you don't have a vacuum chamber) you pour the silicone from a decent height, in order to stretch out the bubbles and they pop - now in my mind (bearing in mind I am certainly no chocolate expert) could this not work with chocolate too???

Yup.

Cocoa butter solids 38%

Cocoa butter 34%

Lindt "Extra au Lait"

Nice stuff, but very fluid.

Mentally back tracking here. The other night I filled the melter, and set it around 45 C to melt overnight. Next morning, tempered with about 1/4 more couverture, then let it rest for maybe an hour. But when I think about it, the tank had a lot of bubbles in it. I wasn't stirring excessively either.