• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Registering "Modernist Cuisine" books?

rotuts

I think that's a neat idea, if they utilize it to send out e-mails with corrections and other interesting links.

They could add some additional great value with instructional videos, interviews, and even links/offers to buy some modernist things. Some of those things could be interesting for those that don't own the books as well of course.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be working now - registered a couple of days ago. Will be interesting to see how the MC crew use this facility to enhance the MC experience. Nice developments on the website in the last week or so already.

I actually just went through this same process last night, and the first time I tried it, no matter what answer I entered it would come back as incorrect. Then I reloaded the page, it asked me a different question which I typed in and it worked first try, my advice is to try that with and without caps until it works because it will eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through the process (glad Amazon keeps track of when I ordered stuff...) and only had to answer a one word question, no caps required. Maybe they changed this? The two words with capitals etc process seems a bit silly, as does the whole process, as anyone with access to the books could register as user/owner anyway, not sure what they intend to achieve with this roundabout.

Now I'll have to see what great offers and special things come my way! :-)

- Thomas Keller

• 2 months later...

I hope this is the best forum for this:

those who own MC can and have registered for 'Updates'

today I got an email for a Thanksgiving recipe

I try to save these

but I only have one other:

SV rare Beef jus: 8/12/11

those who have registered is this the total out there?

many thanks!

I hope this is the best forum for this:

those who own MC can and have registered for 'Updates'

today I got an email for a Thanksgiving recipe

I try to save these

but I only have one other:

SV rare Beef jus: 8/12/11

those who have registered is this the total out there?

many thanks!

Hi Rotuts. We've been having some issues with our email server, so we have recently switched servers. This may be why you haven't gotten some of our other preview emails. In general, we send out each recipe a few days before we release it to the general public. Once it is released, however, you can find them archived in our recipe library. The others we've emailed out include recipes for curry, striped omelet, carrot soup, gelato, and gummy worms.

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

• 1 month later...

Don't think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but registered owners of the 1st edition can order the 4 prints for the price of shipping and handling! Just got mine, they're beautiful (naturally) and I can't wait to get them framed and up!

I just got mine as well, sadly in a flimsy envelope and they are all damaged, but once I told them they sent out an other set, she said she found some cardboard to put around and a bubble mailer. What nice service!

No reply on my question of eventually being able to buy a revised copy of the kitchen manual though, I guess that's not gonna happen :hmmm:

- Thomas Keller

as for recipes, I've not gotten a single one in my inbox, only the message about the free photos (well, $8 or so for shipping....), am I not on the list? I did register. Guess I'll sift through my spam folder - - -

nope, nothing in there as well.

Edited by OliverB (log)

- Thomas Keller

Hi Oliver,

Yeah, sorry I haven't heard anything about kitchen manuals! As for getting the recipes, you have to check in your profile on mc.com that you wish to receive emails (we made one exception for the prints email), otherwise you won't receive any. We don't want to send them to people who'd rather not have them!

You can find the recipes archived though at http://modernistcuisine.com/cook/recipe-library.

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

• 3 weeks later...

Don't think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but registered owners of the 1st edition can order the 4 prints for the price of shipping and handling! Just got mine, they're beautiful (naturally) and I can't wait to get them framed and up!

How do you access the free prints? I'm a registered 1st edition owner but all I see is the full-price links on the online store page.

No reply on my question of eventually being able to buy a revised copy of the kitchen manual though, I guess that's not gonna happen :hmmm:

It is rather disappointing considering the price we payed for the set to not be able to get an updated manual considering the amount of errata and the amount of precision needed in many of the recipes. I also see how it would be troubling to the publisher to make the kitchen manual available independently of the set. If they truly dont want to offer the books individually, I hope that one day we can at least mail in our first edition kitchen manual and have it replaced by the revised edition at cost. That way the kitchen manual never hits the open market alone, and early adopters arent left with a mistake laden tome.

Edited by Twyst (log)

• 9 months later...