• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Registering "Modernist Cuisine" books?

rotuts

try this:

http://modernistcuisine.com/register/

MC@H has one of those hatched squares you scan with an iPad or iPhone

in the past MC had you look up a phrase in MC to verify you at least had the books.

if this doesnt work, email them. Judy is very good about answering.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind remark, rotuts. Made my day!

To register, you have to use a tablet or smart phone to scan the QR code and then enter the scratch-off number. If you don't have either device, you might try borrowing someone's (come to think of it, that's a pretty good marketing strategy...now you have to show your friend the book!). It doesn't tie to a phone number or anything like that. It just ties to your account on modernistcuisine.com.

Please do email me with any more questions.

Judy

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

To register, you have to use a tablet or smart phone to scan the QR code and then enter the scratch-off number. If you don't have either device, you might try borrowing someone's (come to think of it, that's a pretty good marketing strategy...now you have to show your friend the book!). It doesn't tie to a phone number or anything like that. It just ties to your account on modernistcuisine.com.
Seriously? Ya'll have created an unreasonable hurdle to registration for those of us without smart phones and can't be bothered to fix the problem. But the silver lining (for ya'll) is that it might be a pretty good marketing strategy. Seriously?

Seriously? Ya'll have created an unreasonable hurdle to registration for those of us without smart phones and can't be bothered to fix the problem. But the silver lining (for ya'll) is that it might be a pretty good marketing strategy. Seriously?

You can use QR readers with computer webcams, 99% of computers have them these days. I've even seen programs / sites that will decode a photo of a QR code, so there are other ways to do it. And if you still can't manage that then don't worry about it. Registering your copy doesn't give you any benifits so you're not missin out on anything.

Edited by Merkinz (log)

Merkinz, thanks for the tip, but my laptop (two years old) doesn't have a webcam. I'll probably end up using Judy's suggestion of borrowing a friend's smart phone, but it won't be a "good marketing" moment.

• 10 months later...

I have just taken delivery of the volumes, from Amazon. Shiny and new, but can not find any QR codes etc. Could someone kindly advise as to which volume I should be looking, or is there another esoteric method of registration. Thanks in advance

Raymond