• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking Luling or other excellent watermelon

SpaghettiWestern

WOW ! no replies?

ok then ..... where have you been getting good sweet melons in the New Braunfels/ San Marcos area?

i got one last week from Ulvade and it was nearly white inside with just a faint taste of sweetness.

not good at all.

so....any help here?

thanx

I've bought four watermelons in the last 3 weeks all of which were excellent. 2 of them came from Sprouts in Sunset Valley ($2/each, seedless 12 pounders), and the two last week come from Randall's(*) (14.5 pounds, seedless $3.50/ea). You may not have Sprouts but I would assume you have a Randall's somewhere near there. All were grown in Texas but I don't remember which Podunks they were.

Is good watermelon really that hard to find? <shrug> Maybe I'm just lucky, but my method is to choose the ugliest watermelon they have - the underdog that nobody would bet on. Lopsided, white covering 1/3rd of the melon. No thumping required. The 2 14-pounders netted me 2 gallons of finely strained watermelon juice - no pulp at all. Smooth as water. Ask the produce guy if they're good, and if they don't have samples, tell him to cut one open. If I ever bought one that wasn't red or dark pink I would take it back. Nearly white? That would be downright fraudulent.

Just don't be surprised what happens after you drink a two gallons of watermelon juice in less than 60 hours. It's purely aesthetic with no ill effects. And nobody but you will know.

-sw

(*) It's the only thing I've bought at Randall's in probably 5 years. It is, by far, my least favorite store.

• 1 month later...

I've bought four watermelons in the last 3 weeks all of which were excellent. 2 of them came from Sprouts in Sunset Valley ($2/each, seedless 12 pounders), and the two last week come from Randall's(*) (14.5 pounds, seedless $3.50/ea). You may not have Sprouts but I would assume you have a Randall's somewhere near there. All were grown in Texas but I don't remember which Podunks they were.

Is good watermelon really that hard to find? <shrug> Maybe I'm just lucky, but my method is to choose the ugliest watermelon they have - the underdog that nobody would bet on. Lopsided, white covering 1/3rd of the melon. No thumping required. The 2 14-pounders netted me 2 gallons of finely strained watermelon juice - no pulp at all. Smooth as water. Ask the produce guy if they're good, and if they don't have samples, tell him to cut one open. If I ever bought one that wasn't red or dark pink I would take it back. Nearly white? That would be downright fraudulent.

Just don't be surprised what happens after you drink a two gallons of watermelon juice in less than 60 hours. It's purely aesthetic with no ill effects. And nobody but you will know.

-sw

(*) It's the only thing I've bought at Randall's in probably 5 years. It is, by far, my least favorite store.

Hi... just saw your post.... i dont have a Randalls near me.... never been in one.

but thanks so much for your comments.... i'll keep my eyes open for one.

I have discovered that HEB really does have some good melons if you catch them at the right time.

not at all interested in the juice thing..... just like chewin them. lol

thanks again