• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

July 4 food traditions?

I was just thinking about family food traditions around holidays, and particularly the 4th of July for us Yanks. I suspect others have less-than-fond memories of burnt food and too much booze with attendant,um, unpleasantness. It's more than high time to make my own traditions for the day. Thus, sorta embracing Marcus Samuelsson's "Meatless Monday" idea (I don't think he originated it, but he's mentioned it recently), luncheon was the traditional New England salmon with a a sorta Swedish mustard/sour cream/dill sauce, newish potatoes in a warm salad, and roasted aspargus with a little sesame oil, and local strawberries in shortcake with scones instead of bisuits, and a nice dry French rose. This afternoon, I had a caramelized pear ice cream cone, and will probably have another small come for supper, possibly followed by a (single) Campari and orange. I feel happier just thinking about it.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

Mine has always been barbecue. And in the Memphis tradition, by barbecue I mean pork shoulder, dry rub, low-and-slow with indirect heat.

I started out Saturday morning with an 8-pound chunk of Boston butt:

001.JPG

It got a healthy coating of dry rub consisting of ancho chile powder, salt, garlic powder, allspice, paprika, coriander and sugar, then got wrapped in plastic, then in foil, and stashed in the fridge.

003.JPG

This morning, about 8:30 a.m., it went onto the old barrel smoker grill, with coals on either end and the butt in the middle.

004.JPG

Six hours later, it had developed a lovely charred crust, the coals were almost gone, and it was threatening rain. So it went into the oven, covered with foil, for another two hours at 200 degrees.

008.JPG

The eight-pound butt yielded enough pulled pork to feed five hungry adults, including two males with significant appetites, and there was a gracious plenty left over.

011.JPG

It was so good I didn't even use a sauce. A fine holiday barbecue!

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com