• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquid center jelly candy

Eldictator

I honestly thought hard about your first topic about the lemon honey jellies, I just jokingly thought if injection. I took the fact that no one responded as a clue as to how difficult that might be. It's not like you can really fold the honey into it and cut them after, some sort of injection is the only thing that comes to mind.

Hey thanks for that, I thought I was being ignored. ;)

Yeah it seems like an impossible task. I know there are sweets with liquid centres, but I'm guessing they use invertase.

Although on further research I found these classic (now defunct but still made in germany.. english brand) Meltis new berry fruits, and the list of ingredients brings nothing to light. http://www.newberryfruits.co.uk/newberryfruitshistory.html

ingredients in New Berry Fruits Sweets (correct at time of listing)

Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Water, peach puree 5%, citric acid, gelling agent: agar agar, flavouring, acidity regulators; sodium citrate and sodium bicarbonate, colours; quinoline yellow, orange yellow s, azorubin, green S.

The injecting idea I have thought about, but would I need a void in the centre to fill, or would it just fill up like a doughnut?? Would a frozen honey ball sit in the freshly made jelly

Edited by Eldictator (log)

I have no experience with molecular gastronomy; but what if you were able to make a honey sphere? I don't know whether it would survive the process of making the pastille or jelly around it but it's worth a try.

I have a number of professional candy books that would probably answer this question - but unfortunately I won't have them in my hands until the first week of August. If you can remind me then I'll look it up for you.

I do not know if this hepls but I have had in the past requests from people who bee farm for bonbons filled with honey. I tried many different things such as reducing the honey etc. In the end, I filled shells with honey, and then sprayed the surface with cocoa butter and waited a day and closed it all off with tempered chocolate. The cb created enough of a surface membrane to enable this.

Caramelized honey rolled into a truffle-it rolled!

honey caramelized with pistachio.jpg

Shell filled with plain honey-unclosed and closed:

Honey plain.jpg

Kerry that would be a great help thanks, I'm constantly on the look out for books to help out.

Lior. Ahh interesting idea. Make a pure jelly shell/mould then fill with desired honey then cover that with more jelly (does that sound right). The problem being that I can't cook the honey as anything above 37-40c de-natures it. Looks like I need to get experimenting.

P.s can anyone recommend any good confectionery books that would help, most I've read tend to be chocolate centric