• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "smart oven"

JAZ

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

It's an oven I could get on board with. I just wonder about the supplied TWO (2) oven racks which I don't see in use in the video. Steam would be nice though. But the 5qt dutch oven for bread :x

Watch the video again.  You'll see both racks in use, although not at the same time.  Looking at the setup, however, it seems that under some circumstance both racks can be used together.

... Shel

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Steam is Beyond Nice

Its de rigueur.

you folks do have a conventional oven , no ?

I do have a conventional oven. A very satisfactory one but bending and lifting a 5 quart enamelled, cast iron Dutch oven from oven height to counter height is no longer as feasible as it once was. The Breville is at counter height so presents much less of a challenge. Old age is not for sissies as they say. :D:D 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I agree.  but as these counter top ovens get bigger and bigger    you want to put your money where steam is an option

of course  , a small apt , a dorm room etc etc 

Steam would fit in there too .   no problemo  

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Caruso said:

Has anyone here played around with trying to fool the Breville Smart Oven into keeping its elements on full blast (without cycling) for toast?

No, but if you can hack it this way, let me know.  The big one sucks at toast.

• 2 years later...

The Breville BOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro has been our only oven for almost 7 months—we love it!!!

There's only one reason I miss a big oven and I bet you'll NEVER guess what it is!!!!!

Anyone?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

The Breville BOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro has been our only oven for almost 7 months—we love it!!!

There's only one reason I miss a big oven and I bet you'll NEVER guess what it is!!!!!

Anyone?

Stashing pots and pans when they're not in use? 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Just now, chromedome said:

Stashing pots and pans when they're not in use? 

Nope! It was handy for that, but I've got alternative spaces now.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 minute ago, IowaDee said:

Heating the kitchen with it?

We did have to do that last year when the furnace broke-down.

This is a tiny chicken coop sized house, the oven and a couple electric space heaters were enough to keep it quite comfortable in here in the dead of winter.

It was certainly handy in that instance, but that's not what I had in mind.

I'm trying to think of a hint that won't make it obvious. xD

A couple sizes of gastronorm pans are sometimes among several potential things involved depending on the particular situation.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Okay! Okay!

The only reason I miss the big oven is for sanitizing various tools and equipment for cheese-making, fermenting, canning, and the like.

I do have a rather big stock pot that's large enough to sanitize some things, but not everything.

I guess I'll have to eventually buy a jumbo stock pot just for that purpose.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2019 at 2:17 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Okay! Okay!

The only reason I miss the big oven is for sanitizing various tools and equipment for cheese-making, fermenting, canning, and the like.

I do have a rather big stock pot that's large enough to sanitize some things, but not everything.

I guess I'll have to eventually buy a jumbo stock pot just for that purpose.

The self-cleaning feature is nice for an old cast iron skillet that needs to be reseasoned!  ☺️

12 hours ago, Sid Post said:

The self-cleaning feature is nice for an old cast iron skillet that needs to be reseasoned!  ☺️

That, and hams, roasts and turkeys.  And anything on 3/4 sheet pans.  And hotel pans.  And more than one pan at a time...  And...

It fits it's intended purpose perfectly, it's not meant for everything.

It has some limitations, obviously, but so does the average oven.

It's possible to spend thousands of dollars on specialized ovens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

It fits it's intended purpose perfectly, it's not meant for everything.

It has some limitations, obviously, but so does the average oven.

It's possible to spend thousands of dollars on specialized ovens.

The BSO is one of the most useful purpose-built things I own. Many of us no longer require the services of a full-size oven (or are able to take advantage of its features). Mine has become a wonderful storage space. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

How are y'all cleaning the glass when stuff gets baked-on?

:wink:

37 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

How are y'all cleaning the glass when stuff gets baked-on?

:wink:

I've been amazed at how hard it is to get stuff to stick to that glass. So far just a 3M green scrubbing thing, but usually just a wet rag

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I've been amazed at how hard it is to get stuff to stick to that glass. So far just a 3M green scrubbing thing, but usually just a wet rag

It has stuck, and stuck hard, in a few spots, maybe a razor blade is the easiest way to clean it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

It has stuck, and stuck hard, in a few spots, maybe a razor blade is the easiest way to clean it.

Yes. When mine has been neglected I use the razor blade scraper. This is the one with the handle that takes the single edged razor blade. Like this.

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yes. When mine has been neglected I use the razor blade scraper. This is the one with the handle that takes the single edged razor blade. Like this.

Yes! :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Mr. Clean foaming kitchen scrubber.  I just did mine and it took all the gunk off.  The door looks brand new.

Thanks! :)