• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "smart oven"

JAZ

I love mine. I bought it as a temporary oven when my range was in the process of being replaced (which took 6 weeks under warranty), but I cook for 2 and find that I have continued to use it every day despite having my regular oven back. I roast all sorts of things (meat, chicken, fish, and veggies), use it to make toast, broil open faced sandwiches, toast nuts, bake casseroles, do hors d'ouevres, and the odd frozen pizza, and it's all worked exactly the way it should. I'm 6 months in without a hiccup. The only thing I haven't used it for is baking bread or sweets, mainly because we don't eat a lot of those. I can't imagine not having it at this point. Toast is more perfect on the top than the bottom, but it's still more convenient to do all the slices at once than to do sequential toasting with the toaster, plus I find I can time things better as it gives a countdown to when the toast will be done. I didn't think this would be a selling feature when I bought it, but I like that you can set the time and it turns itself off when the time is done. It holds things nice and warm, and you don't have to run to grab things out if you're busy with something else. The keep warm function (at 160) works really well too.

I've been using my Breville now for two months nearly every day. It is a product that (assuming it lasts) was well worth the cost. Using it for toast, bagels, reheating pizza slices, braising, etc. I've only found a couple things that it doesn't do well. The broil unit doesn't get hot enough to cook salmon, I've had to return to using my oven broiler for that...it takes much, much longer in the Breville. Also, the breads I make are of the 9x5" loaf variety as a rule and get too tall for the height of the Breville resulting in overbrowning of the top. I have coveed the loaves with foil for the last minutes but prefer the consistency of my range oven for that task.

Also, I like my toast quite brown; and even on the #7 setting it doesn't always get dark enough for my taste, not a really big deal as I can always re-start it and let it go another minute or two.

All in all, I am really thrilled with my oven and have learned to rely on it for daily use. I only wish I had bought it sooner.

• 7 months later...

I have the smaller of the two Breville ovens, as it fit in my kitchen better that a larger one. I wasnt going to do a whole chicken anyway. It works fine. the comment on toast ( #7 setting ) is true: toast on an initial setting should be darker and the max time should be adjusted up

that said, It still get it again knowing this.

Breville's customer service has also been good for me. I had an oven, the larger of the two, and the convection fan all of a sudden got very loud and rattly. I phoned them, explained the problem, and within half an hour had an email containing a FedEx label to send the oven back. I dropped the old one off on Friday morning, and yesterday (Wednesday) had a new one waiting on my doorstep when I returned home in the afternoon. I suspect the turnaround would have been even quicker had the problem not occurred on a Thursday night, leading to a weekend delay.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I just can't say enough about this oven. It's been in use just about every day (sometimes multiple times) for about ten months.

It just does its job so well. I would buy another in a heartbeat if this one failed. I love never having to eat leftover microwaved pizza again. It goes in the Breville on 'reheat' at 350° for about 10 minutes and it's every bit as good as freshly baked.

So nice not to have to wait for the big oven to heat up when this one is ready in minutes.

Pork chops, chicken, casseroles...everything comes out perfectly.

Okay, I'm considering a Smart Oven, but I don't understand the controls. Is everything preprogrammed? Or can I set it for x minutes at x degrees? I saw a brief in store demo, but the demonstrator emphasized the preset auto cook modes, and I didn't quite understand if I could get any temp I'd like for any time period I need. (Though its ability to hold a quarter sheet pan is pretty compelling.)

Okay, I'm considering a Smart Oven, but I don't understand the controls. Is everything preprogrammed? Or can I set it for x minutes at x degrees? I saw a brief in store demo, but the demonstrator emphasized the preset auto cook modes, and I didn't quite understand if I could get any temp I'd like for any time period I need. (Though its ability to hold a quarter sheet pan is pretty compelling.)

You can set any time/temp combination but the max. time you can set is 2 hours if I remember correctly.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

further thoughts on Toast: it has a max setting of '7' for toast. it you are toasting home made with no sugar, it might not brown enough for you.

I also noticed that near the end of the cycle the radiant heat sources dim and come back on and dim etc. This must have a temp controller doing this rather than continuing with a Radiant Blast for toast.

in the end for the type of bread i toast: thick 1/3 WwholeWheat/WhiteFlour the toast gets fairly baked and on the dry side because of that.

Im thinking of doing par toast cycle and part broil. but for the $$ this seems to be a flaw of sorts.

that being said, Im sure Students of the BVille hear have read the manual, one think Puppy maybe there is a solution in there for this problem.

:rolleyes:

Guess I'll be the lone dissenter.

After looking these I balked at the price of the "high end" models. Paying $250 for a glorified toaster oven is ridiculous IMO. So in 2010 I bought a GE convection toaster oven for $50 at Target and specifically wanted analog dials not a LCD or digital readout that could go out. One can set a timer or set it so it stays on until turned off. It measures 12x12x8 inside, goes over 500F and does all the same things as the Breville for 1/5 of the price. Not as pretty though...

I keep mine in the garage normally and at the height of Summer it goes outside on the patio table. Sure as hell ain't cranking it on inside when I want baked potatoes and the AC is struggling as it is.

That being said it sucks at doing toast quickly, or I just haven't figured that part out. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll be the lone dissenter.

After looking these I balked at the price of the "high end" models. Paying $250 for a glorified toaster oven is ridiculous IMO. So in 2010 I bought a GE convection toaster oven for $50 at Target and specifically wanted analog dials not a LCD or digital readout that could go out. One can set a timer or set it so it stays on until turned off. It measures 12x12x8 inside, goes over 500F and does all the same things as the Breville for 1/5 of the price. Not as pretty though...

I keep mine in the garage normally and at the height of Summer it goes outside on the patio table. Sure as hell ain't cranking it on inside when I want baked potatoes and the AC is struggling as it is.

That being said it sucks at doing toast quickly, or I just haven't figured that part out. :rolleyes:

LOL...I have a $30 Black n Decker.....it works great, except it won't fit a standard quarter sheet pan. That's why I was considering the Breville.

We use the heck out of the BSO and love the thing. Its the right size for dishes for up to four servings and heats up quickly without heating the kitchen. The $250 amortized vs usage makes it the cheapest appliance in the kitchen for us.

• 5 months later...

either the price just went up or Chefs is making up the list price: BB&B still sells the large for $ 249 and you always always go in there with a 20 % off coupon.

So I did just that.

Was a little worried that it might be too big in my small apt kitchen but it's not. I love it. Haven't turned the big oven on since I got this. And as far as space goes, it's even been something of a boon, because now I'm using the big oven for pots & pans storage.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie member here. Read all the comments on the full size Breville Smart Oven. We have had our unit for over two years now and use it every day. We purchased this on watching the video and reading the comparison on Cooks Illustrated. We are very impressed!

Want to add the following points of interest:

1. We purchased the Breville cutting board to sit on top of the unit. Some reviewers were concerned with the heat of this oven. There is no problem with the sides, front or back, but the top can get warm. We put all the accessories on the cutting board. Works out great.

2. We purchased the 13" round pizza stone for making pizza and breads. The preheat if half the time as our larger stone we use in the main oven. (I do not know the manners yet on this forum, but have spent a lot of time researching pizza making for the Breville Oven- can give more advice if you want).

3. A 10" cake flipper is ideal for removing bread loafs and pizza from the oven.

4. Being able to use 1/4" baking sheet to us was a deal maker. Fits perfect and as only the wife & I are left, it is perfect for smaller portions.

5. Tested the temperature with an instant thermometer and discovered the setting held the heat, even at 500 degrees

6. We use the heating function every day, as we are both slow eaters and do not like the food getting cool. Works great. When I barbecue I preheat a large plate and small plate, per person, to use to rest the meat. The meat sits on top of the smaller plate, juices drip onto the large plate. Cover with foil and the meat stays hot.

7. Making toast is perfect. We but the triangle buns from Costco and they toast up perfect. I am not positive on the bagel selection, but I think only the top of the bagel toasts and bottom warms. I could be wrong on this point

8. Making baguette with al the toppings is a snap. The 1/4 sheet pan is a life saver, as it collects all the cheese that over flows. Very fast and easy to prepare

9. Open face sandwiches are easy to make. In our case I then to leave the shelf in the middle for broiling as our sandwiches tend to high.

10. Cleanup if extremely easy. Simply pull out the bottom tray and clean up.

Hope some of these points are a help to you. We purchased our unit at Bed & Beyond and were very pleased. We have a number of Breville products and find them a bit expensive but well worth buying.

For those of you considering the smaller version. Beware the 1/4 bake sheet will not fit and that sheet get used very of ton, especially if you are single or a couple.

image.jpg

image.jpg