• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "smart oven"

JAZ

This morning when the toast I did in my recently purchased Breville Smart Oven, came out with only one side toasted and the other side completely untouched, I fought back tears.  So upset was I that I buttered the toast and ate it while I screwed up the courage to find out if my oven was FUBAR. 

Hours later when I thought my heart could withstand the shock, I decided to try it on bake function at 425° and watch carefully for the bottom element to turn red. As I twisted the dial I caught a quick glimpse of where the indicator was on the function list. Dagnab  Somehow I had managed to put it on bagel instead of toast. It heated perfectly to 425°F with all systems go.

The oven might be Smart, the operator not so much. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

We've all been there with one or another piece of equipment. Often more than once.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 8:02 PM, Anna N said:

This morning when the toast I did in my recently purchased Breville Smart Oven, came out with only one side toasted and the other side completely untouched, I fought back tears.  So upset was I that I buttered the toast and ate it while I screwed up the courage to find out if my oven was FUBAR. 

Hours later when I thought my heart could withstand the shock, I decided to try it on bake function at 425° and watch carefully for the bottom element to turn red. As I twisted the dial I caught a quick glimpse of where the indicator was on the function list. Dagnab  Somehow I had managed to put it on bagel instead of toast. It heated perfectly to 425°F with all systems go.

I am not an owner of the BSO but with some amusement I read in Cook's Illustrated that the BSO is being replaced by a new model, the BSO Pro.  CI reports the Pro is similar to the BSO, with the exception that the new model does not do toast.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am not an owner of the BSO but with some amusement I read in Cook's Illustrated that the BSO is being replaced by a new model, the BSO Pro.  CI reports the Pro is similar to the BSO, with the exception that the new model does not do toast.

Others have had better toast outcomes than I when it comes to making toast in the Breville.  Mine makes lousy toast.  If I use it for toast (which is only when I need more than 2 slices) I use the broiler setting.

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd be reading that with raised eyebrow...

The Smart Oven™ Pro With Element IQ® is for the cook who desires a countertop oven that bakes the perfect pizza, crispy yet chewy cookies, toasts evenly and roasts succulent meat. The convection setting reduces cooking time by up to 30%.

6-Slice Toaster, 13" Pizza, Roast a whole chicken, 9 cup muffin tray.

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/ovens/bov845.html

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

34 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Some of the reviews to the oven you linked to are 3 years old.  Is this the same oven that @JoNorvelleWalker is referring to?

From the Cook's Illustrated review, the old model that they preferred is BOV800XL.  The new model is BOV845BSSUSC.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

57 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

From the Cook's Illustrated review, the old model that they preferred is BOV800XL.  The new model is BOV845BSSUSC.

It would appear that it makes perfectly fine toast.

Here.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

It would appear that it makes perfectly fine toast.

Here.

We agree, at least in our opinion it makes great toast! Not only to the toast bread very well but it also does a great job on bagels and English muffins.

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I own two of these Smart Ovens, and both developed the identical problem in that the Power Button has become semi-functional, and doesn't always turn the machine off reliably. The button will beep as if its off, but it stays on. Anybody else have this? Has me concerned about safety that it remains on even after I've turned it off.

29 minutes ago, IEATRIO said:

I own two of these Smart Ovens, and both developed the identical problem in that the Power Button has become semi-functional, and doesn't always turn the machine off reliably. The button will beep as if its off, but it stays on. Anybody else have this? Has me concerned about safety that it remains on even after I've turned it off.

It would worry me too! If I could not remember to unplug it when not in use I don’t think I would be happy giving it space in my kitchen. 

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, IEATRIO said:

Nope. I've had two.

1 hour ago, IEATRIO said:

I'm on my second and haven't had this problem.  Did you contact Breville?

8 hours ago, IEATRIO said:

What does the display indicate?

p

• 9 months later...

The Breville BOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro has been our only oven for 3 YEARS — we still LOVE it!!!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Both Breville and the Cuisinart Steam she/he/her/him are the only ones I can envision ever needing, unless I was to upgrade to a house.

It's bad enough I'm connected to the internet for practically everything else; I prefer my cooking equipment to be stand alone. And I enjoy getting yelled at by my wife and my cat, not my toaster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

10 hours ago, palo said:

Without bringing the APO into the discussion the folk at Breville did indeed do a "smart" thing with their oven - it's all you really need

Palo, this is a very provocative statement. Could you please expound?

Not sure what you want me to "expound" on, The BSO is an excellent product and is heads above any comparable product - does many things exceedingly well. The APO just does it a little better (3 separate discrete heat sources which can be combined) especially as it brings precise steam injection to the party which other than the CSO (although undersized) is not available to the average consumer.

p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, palo said:

Not sure what you want me to "expound" on, The BSO is an excellent product and is heads above any comparable product - does many things exceedingly well. The APO just does it a little better (3 separate discrete heat sources which can be combined) especially as it brings precise steam injection to the party which other than the CSO (although undersized) is not available to the average consumer.

p

The BSO is great but I wish it had steam.

Of course  steam and water in general seem to be the cause of problems with Anova and CSO. There's leakage issues, clogging issues, computer/update issues all of which are related directly or indirectly to the steam function.