• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "smart oven"

JAZ

22 minutes ago, PositiveMD said:

Looks like the Smart Oven Air is on sale for $399 at BBB

I was able to stack the 20% coupon online. 

It comes out to be $320 after stacking the coupon.

Is that a good price for it?

Yes, I think so.  

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Cooks Illustrated just reviewed the big toaster ovens out there.  BSO won handily.  CSO was not tested

Figures.  Though I could chide the CSO not being big.  And when is CI going to test the anova oven?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 6 months later...

Well apparently from the date on this post my Breville smart oven survived for almost 11 years of very frequent use. But it has been failing for months now and eventually became non-operative. I debated if I could live with just the CSO but much as I love that oven it just doesn’t match the BSO for capacity and it surely doesn’t re-heat pizza worth a damn.  So today @Kerry Bealwas kind enough to pick me up a new one and deliver it, sans box, to my house. I just can’t deal with big cardboard boxes at the moment. I am sharing this even before I have taken a look at it in situ. I did notice that it seem to come with many accoutrements. I don’t recall there being anything with the first version. After I’ve had a chance to do some investigating I will post more. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

So today @Kerry Bealwas kind enough to pick me up a new one and deliver it, sans box, to my house. I just can’t deal with big cardboard boxes at the moment. I am sharing this even before I have taken a look at it in situ. I did notice that it seem to come with many accoutrements. I don’t recall there being anything with the first version. After I’ve had a chance to do some investigating I will post more. 

Mine case with a roasting and pizza pan.  Like you, mine finally bit the dust after many many years of faithful service.  I tried a different cheap alternative but, just could live without my awesome frozen pizza cooker extraordinaire that also makes wonderful breads and other things without heating up my kitchen like the main oven does.  Plus, I can pretend I'm being 'GREEN' by not using my main oven.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well apparently from the date on this post my Breville smart oven survived for almost 11 years of very frequent use. But it has been failing for months now and eventually became non-operative. I debated if I could live with just the CSO but much as I love that oven it just doesn’t match the BSO for capacity and it surely doesn’t re-heat pizza worth a damn.  So today @Kerry Bealwas kind enough to pick me up a new one and deliver it, sans box, to my house. I just can’t deal with big cardboard boxes at the moment. I am sharing this even before I have taken a look at it in situ. I did notice that it seem to come with many accoutrements. I don’t recall there being anything with the first version. After I’ve had a chance to do some investigating I will post more. 

I was waiting for you to say Kerry dropped off an FB.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I was waiting for you to say Kerry dropped off an FB.

What is an FB?

Well apparently my math is even worse than I thought because 2011 to 2020 is not 11 years, it is only 9. And with that two extra years lopped off I do recall receiving a broiler tray and a pizza pan with my first oven. I do not, however, recall ever using these.  But this new BSO is not a straight replacement for the old one but has that one feature that I was so missing on the old one – – an oven light,  it also has two extra functions – – bagel which does not interest me since I don’t like bagels and slow cook which I probably won’t use either but it’s an interesting addition.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oh yes. Not something that I am particularly anxious to own. 

My 2004 eG Blog

59 minutes ago, Anna N said:

What is an FB?

Well apparently my math is even worse than I thought because 2011 to 2020 is not 11 years, it is only 9. And with that two extra years lopped off I do recall receiving a broiler tray and a pizza pan with my first oven. I do not, however, recall ever using these.  But this new BSO is not a straight replacement for the old one but has that one feature that I was so missing on the old one – – an oven light,  it also has two extra functions – – bagel which does not interest me since I don’t like bagels and slow cook which I probably won’t use either but it’s an interesting addition.

I think the timer goes for several hours and it may cook at a lower temp for braising

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I think the timer goes for several hours and it may cook at a lower temp for braising

Yes I downloaded the recipe book and I see that one recipe calls for an eight hour or longer cook. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 4:15 PM, Anna N said:

Oh yes. Not something that I am particularly anxious to own. 

I'm really curious, @Anna N. Why are you uninterested in an F Blumlein? Or, to phrase differently, what is so impressive about the Breville Steam Oven?

And can it do toast?

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

I'm really curious, @Anna N. Why are you uninterested in an F Blumlein? Or, to phrase differently, what is so impressive about the Breville Steam Oven?

And can it do toast?

It is overkill for the amount of cooking I can do these days.

Yes the new Breville smart oven does a fine job on toast. By the way it’s not a steam oven!

i’ve always been impressed with this oven and the fact that my first one died after nine years was a shock. I tried to live without it but for the few things that I choose to cook these days it is a perfect fit for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, beerdoctor said:

The temperature in my oven, in all modes, is ~50F below the set temperature.

Has anyone else see this happen?

Is this a sign of impending doom?

The oven is about 5 years old.

TIA

On convection mode the BSO lowers the temp and it displays the new one. Overengineering to be sure.

Is this what's happening?

• 3 weeks later...

Does Breville make a combination convection oven + microwave that you'd recommend? I don't care about toasting or oven frying. We just need it to microwave (in the most basic sense) and also bake at a high temperature (i.e., 450-degrees), for breads & pizza. It will not be built-in so there's plenty of space on all sides for any required air flow.

Our current model (an old Kenmore) claims that it goes to 450-degrees but it takes over an hour to reach that and, even then, the thermometer in the oven does not report that it's actually at that temp. 

I am hoping that today's technology has improved the ability of a "countertop" combi oven to deal with high baking temp: being able to reach that temp in a "reasonable" amount of time (half an hour?) and to maintain that temp during a baking cycle. But, so far, my searches have not turned up any viable candidates.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

They make a microwave/convection/airfryer  for about $500. Go to the website and look under microwaves.

Looks interesting.

It certainly does. Best Buy and Williams-Sonoma carry it, $450 US.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

They make a microwave/convection/airfryer  for about $500. Go to the website and look under microwaves.

Looks interesting.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

It certainly does. Best Buy and Williams-Sonoma carry it, $450 US.

Thanks. We'll swing by Best Buy and give it a look. I'd like to hear from anyone who has used it specifically for baking bread that calls for 400-degree(plus) initial bake (using a Dutch Oven). Did it take a long time to come to temp. with the DO in the oven?

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Panasonic makes them as well.  I had one for years and was very happy with it.

Thanks. I just searched Panasonic's site and it looks like they have 7 models, ranging from $550 to $1350. Do you know what model number you had?

47 minutes ago, Keri AH said:

Thanks. I just searched Panasonic's site and it looks like they have 7 models, ranging from $550 to $1350. Do you know what model number you had?

No, i don't remember the model number.  We had it when we had our house and we haven't lived there for over 6 years.  I can tell you it had inverter technology, and it could microwave, bake on convect and broil.  It also had a combo function.  It was at the time, the top model.  It did not have a steam function.

I don’t have that model, but I have Smart Oven Air. It takes 45 minutes to heat the DO to 450 degrees. Bread bakes in 30 to 35 minutes, plus 5-10 minutes with the lid off if you want a crispy crust. 

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs