• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "smart oven"

JAZ

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I apply a paste of baking soda & water, let it sit overnight, wipe most of it off

Yeah, I tried that.

It did remove most of it. 

:)

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I have great luck with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, and they keep my glass cooktop shiny and new looking (the rest of the stove acts it’s age, but damn, does the topside look good 🤣)

• Like 2

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

• 5 months later...

The Breville BOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro has been our only oven for an entire YEAR—we sill LOVE it!!! :)

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

15 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Very versatile, fast, sturdy.  I still love mine too.

I am scared that mine is reaching the end of it’s life. It’s becoming very difficult to get it to turn on. You have to push the button many many times before it gets the message.

• Sad 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am scared that mine is reaching the end of it’s life. It’s becoming very difficult to get it to turn on. You have to push the button many many times before it gets the message.

I had a problem with mine as well (the big one - xl or something), my problem was if I wanted to set a temperature I had to go back and forth to get the temp I wanted. Breville gave me what I thought was a great deal.  I could either get a refurb or subtract the current price of the xl from the new smart  air oven price and pay the difference. I took the smart oven air and imho, it's much better. It's larger and more presets. I use the air fry almost exclusively as it works for just about everything, though not bread. Doesn't have steam though.

p

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 8:59 PM, Anna N said:

My husband did a little research when ours went wonky and the buttons didn't do what they were supposed to, and was able to order and install a replacement control panel. That did the trick!

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

30 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

My husband did a little research when ours went wonky and the buttons didn't do what they were supposed to, and was able to order and install a replacement control panel. That did the trick!

Send me your husband.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 6:32 PM, palo said:

I had a problem with mine as well (the big one - xl or something), my problem was if I wanted to set a temperature I had to go back and forth to get the temp I wanted. Breville gave me what I thought was a great deal.  I could either get a refurb or subtract the current price of the xl from the new smart  air oven price and pay the difference. I took the smart oven air and imho, it's much better. It's larger and more presets. I use the air fry almost exclusively as it works for just about everything, though not bread. Doesn't have steam though.

Was yours still in warranty, or out of warranty? If the latter that's a great deal for the upgrade. My dials are starting to act up in much the same way...

I believe it was out of warranty, but I'm not sure. I also "mentioned" that I had 5 or 6 of their other appliances😁. Their sous chef food processor, smart grill, milk station etc. Won't hurt to try.

p

11 hours ago, palo said:

I believe it was out of warranty, but I'm not sure. I also "mentioned" that I had 5 or 6 of their other appliances😁. Their sous chef food processor, smart grill, milk station etc. Won't hurt to try.

So what you're saying is I can justify buying more Breville appliances because I'll get a replacement smart oven out of the deal. Right? 🤣

(I wish I had more -- everything I do have from them has been great. Got the stick blender last Christmas and it has been a fantastic upgrade.)

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, PositiveMD said:

It looks like everyone has been using the Smart Oven Pro.

If I don't care about air frying, is there any reason to get the smart oven air fryer vs the pro model?

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/ovens.html

It's much bigger and has a couple of extra functions besides air frying - dehydrate and proof.  You can also combine some modes into a phased cycle, like 20 minutes bake with a 5 minute broil.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

9 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

It's much bigger and has a couple of extra functions besides air frying - dehydrate and proof.  You can also combine some modes into a phased cycle, like 20 minutes bake with a 5 minute broil.

Feels more sturdy too.

i have found uses for air frying 

• Like 1

I have had the Xmart oven and currently gave the  BSOA.  I prefer the BSOA.  I use the air frying function although I wasn't sure I would when I bought it.  I also use the proof function when I make bread.  It's also better for reasons others have stated.  I know you didn't ask, BUT, if i could only have one oven it would be the Cuisinart Steam Oven.

On 11/3/2019 at 10:49 AM, ElsieD said:

I have had the Xmart oven and currently gave the  BSOA.  I prefer the BSOA.  I use the air frying function although I wasn't sure I would when I bought it.  I also use the proof function when I make bread.  It's also better for reasons others have stated.  I know you didn't ask, BUT, if i could only have one oven it would be the Cuisinart Steam Oven.

Funny enough I'm considering which of the two to get. 

I frequently run into situations where I want to roast something else while I have a protein in the oven. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

I love the BSO. I use it far far more than the main oven

Me too but mine is reaching the end of its life. Now I must do most baking and roasting in 38 minute intervals because I cannot get the clock to go beyond 38 minutes. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, PositiveMD said:

Funny enough I'm considering which of the two to get. 

I frequently run into situations where I want to roast something else while I have a protein in the oven. 

I hardly ever use the wall oven.  Yesterday I baked bread and I used the big oven for that.  The Cuisinart Steam Oven is too small for a pain de mie loaf and the BSOA can hold it but I find it is too close to the top element so gets too dark.  Other than baking bread, I hardly ever use the big oven.  I really like the BSOA for a lot of things but I LOVE the Cuisinart.  But beware - the CSO will not accommodate a quarter sheet pan, the BSOA will.

• Like 1