• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "smart oven"

JAZ

image.jpeg

Was really missing toast from the Cuisinart Steam Oven BUT put a small container of hot water on same shelf as bread in the BSO and voila! Almost as good. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  

that is a good idea.  better is better after all.

it took me a while to understand why BSO toast wasn't as good as say my very old GE toaster oven :

for some reason the BSO has an algorithm for toast that has those Smart Heating Elements going on and off while toasting.

to me that gave the toast a baked taste   i.e. dry for being too long in the oven, rather than Full Blast until browned to your satisfaction.

this was way before I Plunged into Steam.

anyway, there it is.

20 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I never use the BSO for toast.  It makes terrible toast.  I may give it a shot using Anna N's method and see what happens.

I have a Breville and have been reasonably satisfied with the toast it makes - it's not perfect as the evenness of the browning leaves something to be desired, but I've figured a workaround that's acceptable for my needs and temperament.  However, people here have mentioned that the Cuisinart makes better toast, and seeing Anna's technique makes me wonder what effect steam or moisture has on making toast. 

Perhaps I'm not fussy about my toast - just give me some reasonably even browning with the toast not being too dark and dry, and I'm satisfied.  However, with various discussions about the Cuisinart vs Breville and how they each make toast, I can't help but think that I'm missing something.  So, what do you look for in great toast?  In what way does the Cuisinart make "better" toast than the Breville?

... Shel

with CSB toast, using fairly fresh bread, the center of the toast slab is 'moist.  and the outer part crispy to your liking.

this is very evident with commercial english muffins.   even store brand are outstanding.

its the sort of think you only have  to try once to realize the CSB  makes outstanding toast.

6 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

I have a Breville and have been reasonably satisfied with the toast it makes - it's not perfect as the evenness of the browning leaves something to be desired, but I've figured a workaround that's acceptable for my needs and temperament.  However, people here have mentioned that the Cuisinart makes better toast, and seeing Anna's technique makes me wonder what effect steam or moisture has on making toast. 

Perhaps I'm not fussy about my toast - just give me some reasonably even browning with the toast not being too dark and dry, and I'm satisfied.  However, with various discussions about the Cuisinart vs Breville and how they each make toast, I can't help but think that I'm missing something.  So, what do you look for in great toast?  In what way does the Cuisinart make "better" toast than the Breville?

I never thought I was picky about toast, either, but now I am after making it in the Cuis.  The toast in the Cuis is toasted on the outside and...not too soft in the middle, but it retains a certain "moistness".  English muffins are great in there too.  @rotuts can explain it better than I can, I'm sure.

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

I do agree re; terrible toast.  I think at least a part of that is due to " being too Smart " with its elements.

soooo  

@ElsieD

Ive forgotten.  do you have a CSB ? 

Sadly, no.  I would get one if my Breville SO died, but I can't really justify having both of them.

The Cuisinart Steam Oven makes toast. The Breville Smart Oven makes dehydrated bread. Toast is nicely browned on the outside but still "bready" in the centre. Dehydrated bread is dried out through and through.  YMMV There is no ideal toast. There is your ideal toast and my ideal toast but no universally ideal toast.  

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

But, eating toast from the CSO does make one more virtuous...........

:P

And it makes fine, USEFUL toast soldiers.  So there. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

"" The Breville Smart Oven makes dehydrated bread. Toast is nicely browned on the outside but still "bready" in the centre. Dehydrated bread is dried out through and through. ""

nicely said.

but a toasted EM in the CSB   is well, very close to beyond ideal

as ive said

too bad the CSB price jumps up and down so much.  mostly up

any one who bakes their own bread ,  MachineMade in my bakery, would beyond welcome a CSB at an attractive price

free shipping, of course , maybe less tax  :  Nice !

• Like 1

I have the Breville and replaced it with the CSO.

indeed, the toast is remarkably better.  The BSO bakes the toast (as Rotuts had told me).

the CSO toast retains moisture resulting in a much better product.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The Cuisinart Steam Oven makes toast. The Breville Smart Oven makes dehydrated bread. Toast is nicely browned on the outside but still "bready" in the centre. Dehydrated bread is dried out through and through.  YMMV There is no ideal toast. There is your ideal toast and my ideal toast but no universally ideal toast.  

I use some of these Vital Vittles breads for my toast.  It's not dried out through and through, rather the interior is warm, soft and moist.  The sliced bread is kept frozen until ready to toast.  I believe that toasting the slices while they are still frozen contributes to the result.

... Shel

• 1 month later...

A consideration when baking cookies is the need to be rotating baking sheets.  The baking pan supplied with the BSO takes advantage of the BSO's depth and there is room for 16 cookies from a 1" (I think) scoop.  The readily available 1/4 sheet pan isn't as deep and only holds 12 cookies.  If I were frequently baking cookies in the BSO, I would consider purchasing a second Breville pan to get the job done faster.  (Breville pan with cookies.  These are oatmeal, wheat germ, chocolate chip cookies I make frequently from a recipe I got online about 15 years ago.  Delicious.)

IMG_0157.JPG

Edited by Cyberider (log)
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I wonder why BV is allergic to Steam 

they seem close to the top of their game otherwise

but a dry oven doesn't cut is once you've tried Steam.

They also need to make the oven about 3" taller.  Between the two, it would be so much more useful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyberider said:

They also need to make the oven about 3" taller.  Between the two, it would be so much more useful.

They claim it holds a 12lb turkey or a 5 qt Dutch oven

It's an oven I could get on board with. I just wonder about the supplied TWO (2) oven racks which I don't see in use in the video. Steam would be nice though. But the 5qt dutch oven for bread :x

My 2004 eG Blog