• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "smart oven"

JAZ

It takes longer too toast bread that has less sugar content, so with no-knead, I let it go with my normal setting, then re-start it when that's done so I can get more color.

Someone here said that he/she felt that toast in the BSO was more like baked than toasted.

After giving it some thought, I actually agree.  I think it's because the elements are located so far from the center rack.

Still, it's very convenient and not really all that much different than in a toaster.

""   I think it's because the elements are located so far from the center rack. ""

its also because the elements do not stay on 'full-blast' until you get to the degree of 'toasty-ness'  you like

that's what made me think of 'baked'

Ive had the medium BV, and now the XL

to my taste they make mediocre toast

the CuisinatSteamOven  make the finest toast ive ever had

using the same substrate :  my home made machine bread and commercial EM's

Oh, I didn't think of that, the elements not staying on.  That does make a lot of sense.

More and more, I'm thinking that when it comes to replacing my BSO I need to test drive the Cuisinart.

Too bad there's not room for both.

• 8 months later...

Whilst considering the Cuisinart Steam Oven I came across the new model of the esteemed BSO.  It has an oven light and a long cook setting and a keep warn setting. If only there was steam.

http://smile.amazon.com/Breville-BOV845BSS-Convection-Toaster-Element/dp/B00XBOXVIA/ref=pd_sbs_79_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VFNNEKTXZ58GEB8Y7Y9&dpID=418wNeApqXL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

of course, those of us that are Aficiionatos understand this is a big mistake on BV's part

I do understand their point of view

not enough people would buy that kind of oven to make the stainless upgrades to the item

maybe the 'smart' heating elements would not last that long w steam ?

BB&B and WSonoma no longer 'use up' shelf space for the CSB

even though they have plenty.

WS would have to demo it on their central counter area

after all, neither place carries the Anova as far as I can tell.

• 1 month later...

Why do I love the BSO?

Among the many reasons, this gigantic 5 qt pot fits in (sans lid)

http://smile.amazon.com/Simply-Calphalon-Nonstick-Qt-Chili/dp/B001AS94XK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448543640&sr=8-1&keywords=calphalon+5+qt

Just did a long braise of short ribs and veg big enough to stuff 4 adults. Great unit.

• Like 1

Haven't seen it mentioned, but there is a new smart oven available. The Smart Oven Pro BOV845BSS. Same size as the BOV800XL, but adds a light and slow cooking capabilities.

On amazon.Com it's $25 more than the 800xl at $275,but...

it is only $239 at Amazon.ca!!!!

Amazon's prices are all over the map atm, I purchased one about two weeks ago for my nephew at $269, one for my niece a week ago for $249 and now it's $239! Go figure! It' like the stock market!

BTW the slow cooking function allows for 4 hours on high and 10 hours on low, obviously the container used requires a lid to retard evaporation. Many have commented on the desire for a light, (I personally have used a flashlight) but the addition of the slow cook functions make this app lace even more desirable!

p

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Most nights I bake 4 cookies.  (Please don't laugh.)  This is the one sweet thing we allow ourselves during the day as we attempt to limit our calorie intake.  The last few nights the cookie on the front left side refuses to brown.  All starts well, I turn the pan during the baking cycle and whatever cookie is in that spot is a pale imitation of the other ones.  Anyone else have that problem?  I has always worked perfectly until recently.  Baked cookies have been chocolate chip, ginger and corn.  My oven is almost three years old and is the 800 one.

take a look at the heating bars when the oven is 'full=on'  one end of one might not be working

but I don't know how those bars work.

Im curious to know about this.  maybe it can be easily replaced.

• 2 months later...

Rotuts, I mean to reply to your suggestion and forgot.  I did check them and they all work.

I am starting to find that the fan when the oven is on convection is fairly loud.  Anyone else have that problem?

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Rotuts, I mean to reply to your suggestion and forgot.  I did check them and they all work.

I am starting to find that the fan when the oven is on convection is fairly loud.  Anyone else have that problem?

No, mine sounds the same whether convection is on or off.

• Like 1

Correction:  I just put something in on convection and realized that my fan is fairly noisy and not even in a steady way.  Before I turned it on I noticed the over really doesn't hum noticeably.  I must have been thinking about my old toaster over.  Mea culpa.

Edited by rustwood
bad memory (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I've had mine for quite some time.  I see the new one has a light , wish mine did.  But I can still say it's one of the best darned appliances I own.  It was worth every cent, even for toast alone. Whatever I program it for, it does precisely.   A very wise investment. And a breeze to clean.  All in all, a handsome little feller !

• Like 1

I actually just removed my Breville Smart Oven and replaced it with my brand new Cuisinart Steam Oven.  The toast it makes it remarkably better and I love all the options it offers:  steam, steam bake, convection, etc.  Everything I've tried so far has been really good.  The only con is that it can't take those lovely quarter sheet pans that are so darned handy.

I made a simple recipe for Zucchini Onion Pie in it last night that was particularly good and ever so easy.

• Like 2

I have both.  I now only use the BVXL for a tray of brownies.  the BVXL also takes a standard TJ's frozen pizza

and Ive mostly moved over to toasties in the CSB, which from time to time are Pizza-ish.

once you taste what the CSB can do, the 1/4 sheet pan is far less important.

and the CSB is very easy to take outside on hot humid days.  Cusi even designed it w built in hand grips

however , to each their own.

• Like 1

BSO for bigger chickens, potatoes au gratin, cornbread, finishing steaks.

CSB for seafood, roast veg and ....I'm still exploring what else. I find the two complimentary.

Love both

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gfweb said:

BSO for bigger chickens, potatoes au gratin, cornbread, finishing steaks.

CSB for seafood, roast veg and ....I'm still exploring what else. I find the two complimentary.

Love both

Don't think I could give up my BSO and so I only have access to the CSO when I am here on Manitoulin. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

After setting in my Amazon cart for two years waiting for a price drop, I finally ordered a BSO last Tuesday and it arrived Friday.  A very nice unit compared to my tired 25-year-old Toastmaster convection oven but I was surprised by how much smaller it was and how that might limit it's usefulness.  I baked my usual cookie recipe Saturday and made pizza Sunday and it performed well.  My most frequent use of the convection oven is for bread, though, so hoping that the tops don't get scorched for getting too close to the heating elements.  Maybe I'll have to bake smaller loaves and/or continue to use the noisy old Toastmaster for tall loaves.  In any event, I think I'll be happy with it as I am also with the Assistent mixer I bought five years ago on the advice of eGullet forum members.  Now, guess I need a CSO?  That looks really small, though.

Edited by Cyberider (log)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cyberider said:

After setting in my Amazon cart for two years waiting for a price drop, I finally ordered one last Tuesday and it arrived Friday.  A very nice unit compared to my tired 25-year-old Toastmaster convection oven but I was surprised by how much smaller it was and how that might limit it's usefulness.  I baked my usual cookie recipe Saturday and made pizza Sunday and it performed well.  My most frequent use of the convection oven is for bread, though, so hoping that the tops don't get scorched for getting too close to the heating elements.  Maybe I'll have to bake smaller loaves and/or continue to use the noisy old Toastmaster for tall loaves.  In any event, I think I'll be happy with it as I am also with the Assistent mixer I bought five years ago on the advice of eGullet forum members.  Now, guess I need a CSO?  That looks really small, though.

The CSO is considerably smaller than the Breville (assuming you bought the XL) but I find with both of these ovens one needs a foil shield towards the end of baking to prevent a burnt crust.  Not everyone agrees with me.   You may need to do your own experimenting.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The CSO is considerably smaller than the Breville (assuming you bought the XL) but I find with both of these ovens one needs a foil shield towards the end of baking to prevent a burnt crust.  Not everyone agrees with me.   You may need to do your own experimenting.  

Thanks, Anna, good idea!  As for the CSO, I'll start watching that thread.  I'm curious about the attractive loaves of bread you asked about too.  For good measure, now that the BSO is out of my Amazon cart, maybe I'll put the CSO in and watch it in case it goes on sale and I can "justify" it.

Edited by Cyberider (log)
  • Like 1