• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "smart oven"

JAZ

Powerdog, I think a surge protector is an excellent idea! I can't tell ya how many landline phones I went thru, since every time we have a thunderstorm, we have a power surge! I don't know where you are, but I'm in south Florida, and thunderstorms are a fact of life all spring and summer!

• Like 1

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The naan experiment was a partial success....the tiles were OK, could have been hotter. Lots of fussy slapping of bread on tiles in very hot oven. Didn't get burned but risk always there.

In the end, I went to the fry pan and that was easier and better. Bread from both was excellent and reheated/toasted later it was the best flatbread I have ever made.

Corn bread today, recipe not my favorite but it did OK in BSO. But done several minutes before time given in recipe so lucky I was watching.

"Does BBB require the box, Styrofoam, etc. when you return something?"

My experience has been that that's not the case. I returned a pot that I had damaged and was given a new one, no questions asked. I had no box, no receipt, nor any proof of purchase. A couple of years later, a guest damaged the replacement pot. Same situation ... got a new pot.

ETA second incident

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

count yourself lucky. did they scan your credit card? if you know the CC you used it will show up when that card is scanned.

if its much much longer so it does not apprear, then they like to look at the box to see the BB$B sticker then give you a gift card for the store as a credit.

nothing is lost by trying. they do not re-sell the returned items, so the box might not be that important.

it also helps to go when BB$B is not packed. less stress then for the staff. the staff for me has always been helpful.

• Like 1

I use Paul Prudhomme's cornbread recipe (cutting back on the sugar) and it, too, works fine in my large Breville. I also noted that it takes less time than in my conventional oven, even when I cut back on the temperature by 10 or 20 degrees F.

I have noticed the same thing and took a lot of temperatures of both ovens. In my case the BSO was accurate and my oven was low frequently.

• Like 1

Okay, I finally broke down and bought one. My new BlueStar range has a huge oven that takes a looonggg time to preheat, and my decade-old Black n Decker $40 TO finally gave up the ghost. Its temporary replacement ($60) was a hunk'a'junk, so I freecycled it to the office. Enter the Breville: even toasting, nice baking, big enough for a quarter sheet pan. It heats up to temp in a jif, and it produces even enough heat to bake muffins, cornbread, etc.

Count me as a fan.....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Recently got the midsize 650XL version of this to replace a dead el-cheapo toaster oven.  Does anyone else have this model?  It's only got two elements on the ceiling, and thus 900W for "high" broil.  This is pretty wimpy, it seems--wimpier than my cheap toaster ovens.  I was trying to broil asparagus and wound up with baked asparagus with no browning at all.  Same with some saikyo-miso marinated salmon.

Toasting and baking are nice, but I love using my toaster oven as a mini boiler/salamander, and this is a bit disappointing.

Recently got the midsize 650XL version of this to replace a dead el-cheapo toaster oven.  Does anyone else have this model?  It's only got two elements on the ceiling, and thus 900W for "high" broil.  This is pretty wimpy, it seems--wimpier than my cheap toaster ovens.  I was trying to broil asparagus and wound up with baked asparagus with no browning at all.  Same with some saikyo-miso marinated salmon.

Toasting and baking are nice, but I love using my toaster oven as a mini boiler/salamander, and this is a bit disappointing.

I have the mini oven, and it too has "only" two top elements.  However, broiling has not been an issue.  The key, perhaps, is to place the rack at the proper height for the task - there are markers that show you where to place the rack.  Have you properly placed your rack?  It's easy to overlook that step.

• Like 1

... Shel

I have the mini oven, and it too has "only" two top elements.  However, broiling has not been an issue.  The key, perhaps, is to place the rack at the proper height for the task - there are markers that show you where to place the rack.  Have you properly placed your rack?  It's easy to overlook that step.

I've definitely been using the rack at the topmost level.  I kinda want to buy another, move the bottom elements to the top, and short out the thermal fuse.

Unfortunately the 800 will be too large for our kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Somebody that has the XL please give me an estimate of about how long it takes to use up to 350°.  We have a Cuisinart "Brick Oven" and it takes forever to heat up to this temperature, other than that we love it.  Before we take the plunge and by the Breville I want to know if it solves that problem.

Thanks for your help!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4:03 min   Room Temp: 65 degrees.

Thanks for the quick answer!  That's considerably faster than our Cuisinart!

Ill have to dig out my oven thermometer and check.  i believe AnnaN

Ill have to look in my Manual.  its somewhere.  maybe there is a DL 

Im also interested in the Automatic Turbo oven temp adjustment.

thanks  AnnaN !

• 8 months later...

On top of making toast about as fast as a toaster it also makes better toast! Obviously you can also make more slices at a time then you can in most toasters.