• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "smart oven"

JAZ

I'm still enjoying my Breville XL after at least a year of fairly heavy usage.

I only wish I could buy a replacement drip tray since mine is getting pretty ratty.

Other than that, I have to say this is one of the very best investments I've ever made in a small appliance.

When mine dies I will hot foot it to get a new one (or its next generation). I love mine and use it daily.

• 4 weeks later...

Oy! My BSO died completely unexpectedly yesterday, for no apparent reason. I'd used it for toast in the morning and then when I tried to use it to prepare dinner nothing happened when I tried to turn it on.

Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks to Amazon (because you can always look up your old orders) I see I bought it almost exactly two years ago.

I plan to phone their customer service later this morning and will post back with the results of that conversation.

Edited by lindag (log)

gfweb has a good point: is the display dead? If so, try plugging something else into the outlet, to be sure it isn't an electrical issue with your home rather than a toaster problem. If the display still works, but nothing happens when you push the on button, then it's more likely an issue with your toaster.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Nope, it's dead. No display at all.

Customer service offered me two options since my oven is well out of warranty.

One: I could swap my oven for a refurbished one.

Two: They would send me a brand-new oven for 20% off list price and free shipping.

I chose the new oven since with the refurb I'd have to ship my old one back to them at my cost.

And, I use my oven so much that I really want a new one. I'll eat the extra cost.

Now begins the long wait for the unit to arrive...I rely so much on my Oven that it'll be hard to go back to a standard toaster for the duration..

Oy! My BSO died completely unexpectedly yesterday, for no apparent reason. I'd used it for toast in the morning and then when I tried to use it to prepare dinner nothing happened when I tried to turn it on.

Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks to Amazon (because you can always look up your old orders) I see I bought it almost exactly two years ago.

I plan to phone their customer service later this morning and will post back with the results of that conversation.

exactly the same thing happened to me. Right after warranty expired it died. Luckily I had bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond. They replaced it for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Since no baguette pans are BSO sized I made one out of 1/4" hardware cloth. Works great and can be set above a sheet pan of water for baking, solving another problem. It'll hold 2 13" baguettes in two troughs.

If only the wire was nonstick... perforated parchment paper works OK though.

Apologies, tapatalk won't let me turn the photo

epyryjum.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

My new (replacement BSO) arrived this past week. Phew! I really, really missed it. Even though it died after two years of use I still feel like I got my money's worth from it.

With this oven, before I even used it the first time, I put a piece of foil dull-side up on the drip tray. My old oven's tray got so cruddy that I could never get it even somewhat clean. I hope this works better.

• Like 2

DH bought the BSO at BB&B for our Christmas present, thanks to this discussion. He was able to use the 20% off coupon though the fine print seems to exclude it. So about $200. I think it will be a very good deal. So far only toast, reheated frozen muffins and pizza and a small batch of corn custard which had a lovely brown top....which the oven never did.

I'm planning to try a batch of Naan....using a couple of quarry tiles. Great bread gfweb.....makes for lots of options.

• Like 1

I'm amazed at how well the BSO does leftover pizza. Using the 'reheat' function for about 9 mins. at 300° results in a slice or two that are remarkably like freshly baked. No more soggy, tough pizza from the microwave!

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Breville makes a commercial version of this oven. We are opening a place soon and would love to have a few of these.

Not to my knowledge, but perhaps a commercial countertop convection oven will suit your needs. Cadco makes several, including the Roberta and the Lisa, which take 1/4 and 1/2 pans, respectively. The former runs about $600, the latter about $900. (Links for illustrative purposes only; if you pursue this, you should of course shop around.) Or, if you're looking for something priced more like the Breville, Webstaurant offers Adcraft 1/4 sheet and 1/2 sheet ovens for $280 and $499, respectively. No idea about the quality, though, whereas I've known several folks who used and loved their Cadcos.

And weinoo's oven looks really awesome. Just be aware it costs more than $15,000.

Glad to have found this forum, and would like to ask re the large Smart Oven:

1. To have BB&B apply a 20 percent off coupon to Breville, is it a matter of being lucky with the manager you speak to? Or is the exclusion ignored more than enforced?
2. Not sure how widespread the problem with a burnt-out LCD is, but I've seen a number of posts in various forums saying it died just after the warranty expired. For an extra measure of protection, would it be a good idea to use a surge suppressor that could control small and large voltage spikes?

My experience is that it is ignored more than enforced. I recently bought a Breville at the local BB&B and got the 20% discount. I've gotten 20% off without the coupon ... 3B seems to be very accommodating with the discount.

• Like 1

... Shel

My breville died about a year after the warranty ended. Brought it back to BBB with the receipt (yay, I found it) and they just gave me a new one.

Edit: yea, with the 20% coupon.

Edited by Carole (log)