• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "smart oven"

JAZ

I'm thinking of buying a countertop oven (aka "toaster oven") -- not for toasting but as an alternative to heating up my full-size oven when all I'm cooking is one potato or a portion of roasted vegetables, which I do a lot. I'd like something that heats fast and evenly, does a decent job broiling, and can get up to 450-500 degrees. If it makes acceptable toast, that's a plus, but it's not necessary since I already have a great toaster.

I have a store credit at a place that sells a couple of Cuisinart models and the Breville "Smart Oven." I've heard that the Cuisinarts are not very good, so I'm considering the Breville. It seems really expensive, but if it's worth the extra money, I'll pay it. Does anyone have experience with it?

More information here.

I have been eying this oven for a long while, it looks like a nice alternative to using a full sized oven. I have had a couple hesitations besides the price: My understanding is the maximum temperature is 450F and that some users (in Amazon reviews) report it doesn't reach the temperature it is set to, but Breville claims it cooks "like it is at this temperature." The reviews state otherwise, but of course others claim it works very well.

I have seen the unit in person and it seems to be well built and designed, but I have never gotten to use one.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Cook's Illustrated reviewed this in its Mar/Apr 2011issue

it got the highest marks: 3 stars for toasting, cooking, user-friendliness, accuracy

this was also mentioned in a different thread about perfect toast.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=27450

i have not seen one nor used one.

if you do get it pls add to this thread again.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I've had the Breville for around a year now and absolutely love it. I've done everything from baking a crisp to toasting my bagels. It remembers your last setting and that is helpful. I've toasted nuts in it at the high temperature and been very happy with it. I haven't checked the actual temperature with an oven thermometer so I can't comment on that. A quarter sheet pan fits just fine as well as a fairly large casserole. An it can do an entire 12" pizza.

My "real" oven is a 36" Wolf so I really enjoy not having to fire it up, get it up to temp, just to cook one thing. And it comes in extremely handy at Thanksgiving when all potential oven space is needed.

It was expensive but I use it every day for something.

We've had this oven for nearly two years now, and love it. We don't have a lot of counter space, and we wanted something that would actually toast bread AND bake things well. The Breville delivers on both counts.

I'm really thrilled with the convection baking -- I've baked lots of poultry, fruit pies and cakes in it, and all have been perfect. It is wonderful to use in the summer as well; there's no need to heat the entire house with the regular oven. The oven is also easy to keep clean, inside and out. The only caveat I have is to check what your kitchen electrical can handle -- we've found that the oven has to be the only thing running or else we trip one of our circuit breakers.

The Breville is expensive, but this is one purchase that I think was worth it.

Can anyone who has one measure actual temperature vs set temperature next time they use it? Also, is 450F the highest setting or can it go to 500F?

I took a look at one just yesterday. The temperature setting goes from 120°F to 500°F. Whether it can hit those temps and hold them accurately is a separate question.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I got this oven when we moved to Calgary since I don't have a second oven yet. So far, I think it holds its temps just fine and as a bonus, it fits a quarter sheet pan and a full size pie dish so there's enough room in it. I'm not crazy about the toast it turns out, but as JAZ says, I already have a good toaster and that's not why I bought this.

I have the Cuisinart brick oven at the cottage, and the Breville beats it by a mile.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have one. Beats the heck out of a similar Krups I used to own. Does a great job with roasting vegetables, baking a potato, top browning/broiling an open-face sandwich, cooking an Amy's frozen pizza, and toasting frozen (or fresh) bagels. Good for warming plates, too. Regular toast is OK -- perfect on one side but striped on the other because of the grates. Worth the money. Buy it and don't look back.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Can anyone who has one measure actual temperature vs set temperature next time they use it?

Ok - this was not very scientific, but I fired mine up just for you. I set it at 350° on the bake setting with convection on. It beeps to let you know that it's reached the target temp. I put my Polder wired remote themometer inside with the tip in the middle of the oven (it wasn't in water or anything, which would probably have been more accurate). When the oven beeped, the thermometer read 347°. After about 8 minutes, it had dropped to 341°, which was the lowest it went. At 10 minutes, it was back to 347°, but I never saw the heating elements light up red, so it must not have needed too much to kick it back up to temp.

I have it and love it too. Its really a great "Little Oven" we roast veggies and all sorts of stuff in it. While I haven't tested the temps, it hasn't been a problem in the 18 months or so since I bought it. My one annoyance? the Plug sticks straight out like 3 inches so the unit can't sit flush against the wall. No issues as it relates to performance (Disclaimer: Toast is not a priority for me)

Mike

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the comments. I bought one and have been very pleased with the results so far. It preheats very quickly, and although I haven't been able to check the actual temperature (my oven thermometer died and haven't replaced it), it seems to be pretty accurate. I even used it for toast once just to see, and it did an adequate job.

I recently bought a no name unit that looks very close to these things,at tuesday mornings store.think it was less than $30...keep it on a table outside, on the patio, and on these real hot summer days is really great for keeping the kitchen nice and cool,can't do a turkey, but is good for lots of stuff....

Bud

• 3 weeks later...

Because I'm almost always cooking for just myself, this has been a great purchase. I think I've only turned my big oven on once since I got the Breville, which means the kitchen is cooler, the oven heats up faster, and (I imagine) I'm saving electricity.

Because I'm almost always cooking for just myself, this has been a great purchase. I think I've only turned my big oven on once since I got the Breville, which means the kitchen is cooler, the oven heats up faster, and (I imagine) I'm saving electricity.

the heating element on a kitchen built in oven is probably in excess of 3000+ watts, the breville is 1800 watts, and is smaller interior volume so its not going to be in full heat mode for as long a time as a kitchen oven...

Bud

the heating element on a kitchen built in oven is probably in excess of 3000+ watts, the breville is 1800 watts, and is smaller interior volume so its not going to be in full heat mode for as long a time as a kitchen oven...

Bud

An Easy Bake Oven uses 100m watts. I always thought that that was a great idea that could be developed better for real cooking.

I've been using mine a lot since we moved. It functions very well as a second oven for hors d'oeuvres, and other things. I love how that a quarter sheet pan fits in it too.

Marlene

I've been using mine a lot since we moved. It functions very well as a second oven for hors d'oeuvres, and other things. I love how that a quarter sheet pan fits in it too.

I have been following this discussion with interest. I currently have the Cuisinart Brick Oven and I can get 1/4 sheet pans in it too. When it finally bites the dust, I will be looking at the Breville as a replacement. Being able to use 1/4 sheet pans has now become something I am not prepared to sacrifice!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have been following this discussion with interest. I currently have the Cuisinart Brick Oven and I can get 1/4 sheet pans in it too. When it finally bites the dust, I will be looking at the Breville as a replacement. Being able to use 1/4 sheet pans has now become something I am not prepared to sacrifice!

You will love it. I am the same way now about being able to use 1/4 sheet pans. I have the brick oven at the cottage and yes it does too. I do like the Breville much better though

Marlene

Bud

An Easy Bake Oven uses 100m watts. I always thought that that was a great idea that could be developed better for real cooking.

100 thousand?????? will need some big wires

Bud

• 1 month later...

So my Brick oven finally bit the dust - it no longer maintains its temperature. Suspect it may be something simple like dirty contacts and my SIL will be attempting to repair it. However, living without a small oven is not something I am prepared to do so I pulled the trigger and bought the Breville Smart Oven. So far I am very impressed though it is one appliance where reading the manual really is important. There you will find that the pre-heat temperature is only 80% of the set temperature and that the temperature should be taken with the rack in the "toast" position. The rational offered by Breville for the 80% is that you will lose 20% of the heat when you open the door to put your pan in there. Seems reasonable until you figure that it is STILL going to lose 20% of its heat only now it is really 40%! So after a rather depressing result with my first attempt at bread baking I have learned to put a thermometer in there and wait until it actually reaches the set temperature.

The other thing I have noticed is that it appears to automatically adjust for convection so it adjusts the set temperature down by 25F if you chose the convection option.

Once you get over these quirks the oven is a joy to use. It's early yet as I have only had it for a week or two but so far, so good.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog