• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Japanese pantry ingredients in EU

I would like to hear from you europeam members of the board where do you order

online your ingredients? I need good quality basic ingredients first for dashi etc.

So good kombu and katsuobushi atleast. Where are good prices? I would like to use

kombu in my fish cooking as well so will be looking for bulk packages.

Have you tried amazon.co.uk or amazon.de (in which EU country are you?)? I've seen at least the basic Japanese ingredients (noodles, various sea vegetables, etc., and sometimes the array is truly impressive) in virtually every EU city of any size that I've visited, and if you're a regular, you may be able to get the shop owner to cut you a deal on bulk quantities.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 3 months later...

In Paris there is a very nice shop (actually two), called Worshop ISSE (google it).

I know they also ship abroad. More expensive than Japan Center but higher quality / artisan items.

They also let you taste / do comparisons on a lot of products, whenever I am in Paris I try to pass there...