• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molecular Catering

bigchef

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend! Anyone have any ideas/experience with catering using molecular gastronomy? Tricks and thoughts? I know about freezing the spheres allows rapid production with repeatable results and the caviar box is another great method. Anyone know any more?

Go to the Curious Blogquat blog and strike up a conversation with Rob. Tell him I sent you for information on modernist catering. He isn't doing as much of that as he was at one time, he's been more into locally foraged cooking for his restaurant and catering lately but he's still very much into the modernist stuff and used to do a lot of catering with it.

I'm suffering some computer woes at the moment and doing this through a Wii. The forum's code doesn't seem to cooperate completely with it which is why I didn't provide a link to his blog but it comes up first in the results with a google search.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I never quite understood the big hubbub about molecular gastronomy. To me, it just sounds like cooking. Just because the methods are unconventional the results are food and therefore it's cooking. Am I missing something? I feel like I might be missing something...

I never quite understood the big hubbub about molecular gastronomy. To me, it just sounds like cooking. Just because the methods are unconventional the results are food and therefore it's cooking. Am I missing something? I feel like I might be missing something...

I wouldn't say you're missing something. I'd say it's more like you almost missed something. The "hubbub" has been and gone. Most have found or are finding ways to integrate it into their cuisine without the average person knowing it rather than looking for ways to showcase a technique for it's own sake.

Basically, it has become "just cooking" and that's exactly what it will be viewed as by those who come along later when it is taught to them. It's in the toolbox with the other techniques and ingredients waiting to do it's thing instead of dancing in the spotlight. It isn't a fad, it's legitmate permutations of and advancements in the way some things are done. That's been going on since people have been cooking and will continue to happen in some form for as long as people are cooking.

All that aside, it can be fun to put on a little culinary show with some of the techniques for people who've never experienced it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Good cooking is partly down to knowledge and experience acquired through repetition, showbiz aside what you might be interested in is the actual scientific knowledge and techniques required to understand precisely how the food behaves and why, then you can choose to implement what is appropriate to your own recipes and style of cookery.

One of the pioneers of the term "Molecular Gastronomy" Herve This is a pure unadulterated hardcore chemist, to him it's just a form of materials science.

• 3 months later...

Thanks TheTInCook. The video is nice, however it is only viewable from within the United States. I'm sure a lot of our community is from elsewhere.

Youtube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eV1D1YTygg

Or if you like:

For non US members:

A simple way to view US only content:

Go to:

http://anonymizer.nntime.com/

Select a country (USA), then state, enter any URL (http://www.hulu.com/marcels-quantum-kitchen) and press "GO"

This sends your request through a specified country server, and allows you to view the content.

P.S. I used CA - Walnut