• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flour Emergency

Making morning muffins for health-conscious house-guests in a few hours...

I want to use my spelt muffin recipe which calls for 1 part whole spelt flour (which I have) and 1 part white spelt flour.

I am out of white spelt flour, but have white rice flour and potato starch flour.

Can I use either of these as a substitute?

Other flours I have on hand: garbanzo and fava flour, buckwheat, ground flaxseed meal, almond flour. I also have xanthan gum.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Whether served on a spoon, stacked in a stiletto, or sipped in a stem glass pleasure in life is all about taste.

The Supper Model

www.thesuppermodel.com

Making morning muffins for health-conscious house-guests in a few hours...

I want to use my spelt muffin recipe which calls for 1 part whole spelt flour (which I have) and 1 part white spelt flour.

I am out of white spelt flour, but have white rice flour and potato starch flour.

Can I use either of these as a substitute?

Other flours I have on hand: garbanzo and fava flour, buckwheat, ground flaxseed meal, almond flour. I also have xanthan gum.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Short answer: No.

Spelt is essentially a form of wheat, and behaves virtually identically to it (sifted spelt flour has a gluten content of about 12%, or at least the bag I'm looking at does; I use it more or less exclusively). None of these potential substitutes has any gluten at all, so you'd almost certainly end up with rather tragic little bullets (I've never worked with xanthan gum, although I've seen it listed as an ingredient in rice breads I've eaten, none of which I can honestly recommend, but my experiences may not represent the rule).

Your best substitute would be all-purpose flour: All other things being equal (e.g. source, processing), it is no more unhealthy than white spelt flour.

If you have whole spelt flour, you could try using just that, but the results are going to be on the, well, rugged side. But if your guests are as health conscious as all that, they may even like that.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org