• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visit to Japan with a friend and his family – advice needed

japanesegeek

I'm assuming you're coming from the US. In which case, I always tell people to go to Tsukiji market on their first day in Tokyo. You are going to be jet lagged anyway and will probably wake up at like 4am. You might as well head down to the market in the morning. I'm not sure you can see the tuna auctions anymore but if you can, they happen at like 5am. Look online but they are very cool. Also, since you're jet lagged, I don't think I'd want to go to Disney on that day. Spend the day there when you have more energy - later in the week.

I also disagree with spending 12 days in Tokyo. That is a long time to spend in that city. Go to Kyoto, rent a few bikes and bike from temple to temple for 3 days. Kyoto is much more digestible then the insaneness that is Tokyo.

I'm not sure how much the kids would like it but you could do a day trip to Nara or elsewhere. I love Kurashiki but I think the kids would be bored. Nara at least has deer (deer!) and lots of temples to visit.

Edo-Tokyo museum is very cool. Ask for a free English guide when you get there. They will spend an hour plus with just you explaining the history of Japan and with the displays, I think your kids would like it. Daiba would also be something the kids like as well.

Can't help you with the food. We just ate wherever.

You seem to be very knowledgeable about Japan. Would you mind sharing your list of suggestions. Like I said, I have very poor knowledge of pretty much everything between Osaka and Hokkaido.

It would be much appreciated.

Cheers

(And, no offense, even if OP did ask for advice on how to "get a feel for Japan," those locations would be pretty far down on my own list of suggestions.)

My blog about food in Japan

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com

If you're looking to add a week, I would extend your time in Kyoto by a couple days at least. Heading there for an overnight trip is not really enough time to appreciate the city, in my mind. (Seconding what everyone else said about the temperature, though... blech. And Kyoto's uniquely basin-like shape makes it very muggy, unfortunately.)